Nine year-old throws 40 mph!

knightni

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 06:44 AM)
If you read the article, the complaint has something to do with the sponsor for the league wanting the kid on his team.

Thats the most bogus part of the whole thing. The kid went with a different team and sponsor and all the sudden the league doesnt want him anymore.

Now it all plays out in the press

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 05:04 AM)
Move him up and let him play in the next age group? :huh

Yeah that would be the most logical step, that's what they did to Bo Jackson when he was a kid. The fact that they're making such a drama out of this leads me to believe there is some other reason they're doing it.

Furthermore 40 mph isn't even that fast for Little League, at all, so I don't even get what the big deal is. That is actually about the speed of my normal throws with no windup, even with my f***ed up shoulder. When I was in Little League, the other team (the White Sox) had a kid named Scott who threw 50+ (timed on the radar when he went to a Sox game), and I never hit off him. I believe Scott was 10 at the time. The next year we had a 12 year old on our team named Anthony who threw even harder than Scott, in the mid to high 50s. These guys weren't even anything special, every Little League is going to have these guys.

A couple of things about this;

It sounds like a little late summer / early fall recreational learning baseball league. I have no real problem if that is the case as if the kid is that dominating it is not a real learning experience but by 9 years old instructional should not be the case

The sponsorship thing is a little tricky there and did not make sense.

The pussification of America is well underway but the flip side of that is that kids are playing sports at areally young age 6,7 and 8 year-olds are a -lot different than 9,10 and 11 year olds. That is why when Mike North used to rant about everyone gettting a trophy I had to laugh as I see nothing wrong with this when you are trying to give a basic understanding to really young kids on how to play the game correctly.

Although the IHSA is trying to give every team a state championship but I digress.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
A couple of things about this;

It sounds like a little late summer / early fall recreational learning baseball league. I have no real problem if that is the case as if the kid is that dominating it is not a real learning experience but by 9 years old instructional should not be the case

The sponsorship thing is a little tricky there and did not make sense.

The pussification of America is well underway but the flip side of that is that kids are playing sports at areally young age 6,7 and 8 year-olds are a -lot different than 9,10 and 11 year olds. That is why when Mike North used to rant about everyone gettting a trophy I had to laugh as I see nothing wrong with this when you are trying to give a basic understanding to really young kids on how to play the game correctly.

Although the IHSA is trying to give every team a state championship but I digress.

What is the pussification of America exactly?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Example: The banning of dodgeball from schools for fear it can cause hurt feelings for those who get "picked on" during the game

I thought that had more to do with head injuries than it did anybody getting picked on.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:17 AM)
Furthermore 40 mph isn't even that fast for Little League, at all, so I don't even get what the big deal is.

The last 2 years I've coached in a 9-10 year old league. I had 3 kids this year one nine and two 10 that threw over 40 mph. And they are hittable. The kids in that age group that throw 50 mph are tougher to hit, but still they are hittable. The next age group 11-12 year olds, the Majors, throw over 60 mph.

When I coached in a 7-8 year old league we didn't let the kids pitch, they faced a pitching machine that was set at 37 mph, so I really don't see the big deal with this kid.