Democratic Convention Talk

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
So would McCain... so would I... so would you. Hell if it was me I would change my campaign slogan to "I'm rich, b****!"

... that's my point tho. don't brand yourself as a 'new kind of politics' if you're NOT

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the one thing i'll give him:

"You go to Wrigley Field, you have a beer, beautiful people up there. People aren't watching the game. It's not serious. White Sox, that's baseball. South Side." — Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 03:02 AM)
If a great deal of her supports dont vote for Barack after this, they are either deaf, dumb, or ignorant. Or all 3.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 03:19 AM)
So this interview on CNN with this Hillary supporter....um, yeah. The fact she got a 5 minute interview in ridiculous.

At first I couldn't believe that s***...its like get off your high horse at suck it up...yea Hillary won't be in the oval office but she is still going to a voice of reason in the Democratic party. Both of the Clinton's will be until the day they die. If your gonna be a little baby and not vote then so be it.

The people that scare me are the ones that are going to vote for McCain instead. On Colbert last night (might have been Daily Show, It was late) They had a group of 10-12 people that were so pissed off that they were all going to vote for McCain instead of Obama for spite. Each of them were the head of a different group "Hillary Supporters for McCain" was the basic gist. I think one of the groups was even called "f*** a Unified Party"..their website was an acronym of something around that...

I'm sorry but don't ruin this country b/c of your jealousy...We all have to be in the fight together and Hillary conceded...Her speech was amazing and was proof that she would probably be a great leader but suck it up and put America on the right track...she will be there soon enough.

One more thing, I don't know how your guys feel about it but I think putting a black man in the white house is a bigger deal for America than putting a white female in the the White House. The time will come for a women to get there and Hillary will probably be the one. But getting a minority elected would be amazing.

I'm going to step up and give my opinion of Hillary's speech. She was very eloquent and spoke very well, with some damn good lines (No way, no how, no McCain, and the twin cities analogy was great). However, her 'endorsement' of the presumptive nominee was tepid at best. In fact, I kept checking out Michelle when they would cut to her and she seemed at times to be pissed. Hillary could have used Bill's "Candidate X" instead of Barrack Obama, and told us just as much about the candidate that she did last night. She said he's my candidate and I'm proud to support Cand... oops, I mean Barrack Obama. She never said that he was ready to lead, ready to be commander in chief or that he had earned her respect on the campaign trail. There was no personal insight as to why she was supporting him other than it was the right thing to do for the party.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
I'm going to step up and give my opinion of Hillary's speech. She was very eloquent and spoke very well, with some damn good lines (No way, no how, no McCain, and the twin cities analogy was great). However, her 'endorsement' of the presumptive nominee was tepid at best. In fact, I kept checking out Michelle when they would cut to her and she seemed at times to be pissed. Hillary could have used Bill's "Candidate X" instead of Barrack Obama, and told us just as much about the candidate that she did last night. She said he's my candidate and I'm proud to support Cand... oops, I mean Barrack Obama. She never said that he was ready to lead, ready to be commander in chief or that he had earned her respect on the campaign trail. There was no personal insight as to why she was supporting him other than it was the right thing to do for the party.

I still believe 100% that she wants him to lose so she can run again in 2012. I have seen nothing that shows me otherwise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
I still believe 100% that she wants him to lose so she can run again in 2012. I have seen nothing that shows me otherwise.

Agreed, and her speech reinforced that in my mind. Her speech was much more about her candidacy than about his.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)

I agree with that. On the flip side some people are really excited that Hillary showed her support for Obama last night. That's pretty obvious she'll support him, it's not like she's going to support McCain or someone like Ralph Nadar.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
I agree with that. On the flip side some people are really excited that Hillary showed her support for Obama last night. That's pretty obvious she'll support him, it's not like she's going to support McCain or someone like Ralph Nadar.

If she threw her support to anybody else, she'd be committing political suicide within the party.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)

She didn't speak too much about Obama specifically, but she did tell her supporters "it isn't about me" and questioned why they would consider voting for McCain if they were truly her supporters, then gave reasons. And frankly that's more than I've ever seen her say, although in the past she has admitted that the policy differences between her and Obama are miniscule in comparison to McCain. If I'm Obama I'm satisfied with that speech... I don't see how she could've said done any more to convince her disgruntled supporters to vote for him.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
... that's my point tho. don't brand yourself as a 'new kind of politics' if you're NOT

He would have been considered the dumbest politician ever if he decided to take public financing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
He would have been considered the dumbest politician ever if he decided to take public financing.

Honestly. It was an absolute no-brainer, you don't just piss away millions of dollars in financing when you're a politician. He really didn't have to make it sound like he was going on a self-righteous crusade when he did it though.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)

Come on Reddy, McCain went back on his word first. If he was going to cheat, Obama needed a way to combat it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
She didn't speak too much about Obama specifically, but she did tell her supporters "it isn't about me" and questioned why they would consider voting for McCain if they were truly her supporters, then gave reasons. And frankly that's more than I've ever seen her say, although in the past she has admitted that the policy differences between her and Obama are miniscule in comparison to McCain. If I'm Obama I'm satisfied with that speech... I don't see how she could've said done any more to convince her disgruntled supporters to vote for him.

I totally agree with you...She said his name at least 10 times...said something along the lines "You weren't in this fight just for me were you"...I thought she was very good for the Obama campaign. It’s like people are just trying to read between the lines to say she wants him to lose. If she really wanted him to lose she could have went out, made a stupendous speech (for her own political glory) and not even bring up his name. We'll wait and see what Billy Boy has to say tonight, I know he will add on that the Clinton's are for Obama and for this country. They wouldn't be 2 of the headline speakers for this campaign’s convention if they thought they were going to hurt it.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Come on Reddy, McCain went back on his word first. If he was going to cheat, Obama needed a way to combat it.

i know man, i get it. but then it's NOT a new kind of politics! that self-righteousness is exactly what i'm talking about. Edwards, when the scandal broke, said he had become increasingly egotistical and narcissistic. If Edwards was that then I'd hate to see Obama have to describe himself. Probably be near "i thought i was the second coming of christ almighty"

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
If she threw her support to anybody else, she'd be committing political suicide within the party.

Exactly my point, I don't understand why people are so excited she supports him, it's pretty obvious that's what she was going to do.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
Exactly my point, I don't understand why people are so excited she supports him, it's pretty obvious that's what she was going to do.

Plus the Democrats don't take kindly to people who don't toe the party line... ask Joe Lieberman.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)

It's not about the fact that she actually supported him, she's already done that. It's her change in tone, which is almost a complete 180, and zeroing in on her pissed-off supporters.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
Plus the Democrats don't take kindly to people who don't toe the party line... ask Joe Lieberman.

Until very recently (because of the obvious contrast with Obama) you could've just as easily substituted the words "Republicans" and "McCain." Actually it's still probably true. Party die-hards don't like it when someone in their party is unreliable, it doesn't matter who they are.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)

Actually, didn't Obama go back on hsi word forst, when he decided to run in the first place? I remember him saying something like 'I just got here (to the Senate) I'm not running for president'. Oops. And Joe saying he would never accept the VP spot. Unless, you know, someone actually asked him, of course.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 01:08 AM)
This does a couple of things - it gets the media to say SEE, I TOLD YOU THEY'RE UNITED, and two, it keeps the b****ing off the table.

Let's see what happens, but I think the news here is that there is news about this - meaning, they're trying to put on the best front possible and get the media to sing cumbayah for the Dems.

can you admit you were wrong on your media prediction?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
Actually, didn't Obama go back on hsi word forst, when he decided to run in the first place? I remember him saying something like 'I just got here (to the Senate) I'm not running for president'. Oops. And Joe saying he would never accept the VP spot. Unless, you know, someone actually asked him, of course.

Everyone says that when they are directly asked whether or not they're running for president, almost to the point that the question is meaningless.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
Until very recently (because of the obvious contrast with Obama) you could've just as easily substituted the words "Republicans" and "McCain." Actually it's still probably true. Party die-hards don't like it when someone in their party is unreliable, it doesn't matter who they are.

Not even close. The Repubs pulled McCains support and propped up another candidate against him. They sure as heck haven't had anywhere NEAR the public bile for McCain that Joe has gotten from the Dems.

Traditional Roll-Call:

Barack Obama's campaign has reverted to plans for a traditional roll call on the Convention Floor, and the Denver Post reports that delegates are voting this morning in their hotels.

There's a bit of confusion about the plans for a roll call, and some Democrats say they're dissatisfied by a process that has them voting in private, by state. But that's the old-fashioned way, says my colleague Andy Glass, who's covered these for years. The roll call is a roll call of states, not of delegates, and there was never the prospect of a one-by-one show of hands on the convention floor.

In rare cases, a member of the delegation may ask to be recognized and contest the count of the delegation chair, demanding a delegate-by-delegate tally. That's extremely rare: Glass cited the 1964 contested Mississippi delegation as one case.

Indeed, there's not even any formal mechanism within national party rules for each delegate's vote to be recorded. What's recorded is the vote of each state delegation.

Options discussed yesterday -- including a shortened roll call -- would require a motion to suspend the convention's regular rules, which doesn't seem currently to be in the offing.