Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

OK, so nobody saw the three hour first day. Rumor is tomorrow will be back to a more normal schedule.

Laura Bush and Cindy McCain sought out help for the victims of Gustav this afternoon.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmart...ef_efforts.html

Bush and Cheney will not appear in MN, something that might be a hidden benefit politically for McCain. Also, McCain will accept nomination in person because the storm was less powerful than thought.

However in stranger news, today - CNN analyst Donna Brazile pepper sprayed outside the Xcel Center

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail..._pepper_sp.html

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amy Goodman and two of her Democracy Now producers were also arrested at the convention today. An announcement was made that they were released lat Monday night. Tomorrow's episode of DN should be quite interesting, and they will broadcast video of the arrests which were apparently excessively forceful not to mention illegal since the three were arrested while carrying out their journalistic duties.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
In half-assed defense of the law enforcement officers, there are a LOT of crazy mofos protesting at the RNC. The DNC was relatively quiet.

I'll wait and see on it as well. But, I've read that local law enforcement broke out the pepper spray, rubber bullets, concussion grenades, and good old excessive force in carrying out their duties Monday. Toss in abrogating freedom of the press and journalistic First Amendment rights by arresting press members after they have identified themselves as such, including video footage of the DN producers getting bloodied up pretty good, and it will be difficult for the police department to come out looking very good.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
I'll wait and see on it as well. But, I've read that local law enforcement broke out the pepper spray, rubber bullets, concussion grenades, and good old excessive force in carrying out their duties Monday. Toss in abrogating freedom of the press and journalistic First Amendment rights by arresting press members after they have identified themselves as such, including video footage of the DN producers getting bloodied up pretty good, and it will be difficult for the police department to come out looking very good.

I had heard a lot of talk from authorities in Minnesota that they didn't want to be like the NYC police, or the Seattle police at the WTO demonstrations. Well. We'll see. There's a reason this stuff happens... these are the most aggressive kinds of protesters, and they're always pushing the envelope, if they're not flat out crossing the line.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)
Bush and Cheney will not appear in MN, something that might be a hidden benefit politically for McCain. Also, McCain will accept nomination in person because the storm was less powerful than thought.

However in stranger news, today - CNN analyst Donna Brazile pepper sprayed outside the Xcel Center

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail..._pepper_sp.html

There is no "hidden" about it, it's a huge benefit, end of story. As for the news with Donna Brazile, that's unfortunate. I'm sure the truth in the story of the protestors today is in the middle though. Yes the police probably used excessive force, but when you have anarchist protestors pushing the line, they are asking for it. I haven't exactly seen anything about peaceful protestors getting beaten down yet. The thing with Ms. Brazile is sad though, I doubt she was causing any trouble and it sounds like a very unfortunate accident.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)

I didn't see you getting quite so indignant of the abrogation of the freedom of the press when I mentioned that an ABC reporter was shved in the street and then arrested for videotaping big time doonors leaving a closed meeting with senior Senate Democrats. He was just standing on a sidewalk, and they grabbed him in a chokehold and arrested him (this AFTER pushing him off the sidewalk, and then all the way across the street). What was it they were trying to hide?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
I had heard a lot of talk from authorities in Minnesota that they didn't want to be like the NYC police, or the Seattle police at the WTO demonstrations. Well. We'll see. There's a reason this stuff happens... these are the most aggressive kinds of protesters, and they're always pushing the envelope, if they're not flat out crossing the line.

Connecticut delegation attacked, and had a mix of Clorox and water thrown on them. An 80 year old woman delagate had to be treated for injuries when one tried to rip her credentials from her neck.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages...mp;pageId=3.2.1

Anarchists thew bags of sand and cement off an overpass onto busses below. Now these bastrads should have been subjected to the police brutality claimed earlier. They should have been shot. And beaten.

http://www.foundingbloggers.com/wordpress/...to-xcel-center/

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 06:37 AM)
Connecticut delegation attacked, and had a mix of Clorox and water thrown on them. An 80 year old woman delagate had to be treated for injuries when one tried to rip her credentials from her neck.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages...mp;pageId=3.2.1

Anarchists thew bags of sand and cement off an overpass onto busses below. Now these bastrads should have been subjected to the police brutality claimed earlier. They should have been shot. And beaten.

http://www.foundingbloggers.com/wordpress/...to-xcel-center/

Wacked out anarchists and extreme left loonies. They are barely any different in character from the Westboro Baptist Church.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:37 AM)
But which gets more media coverage? What gets talked about more?

Meh. It's expected, sadly.

Let me see, what is the media going to cover more? Protesters or members of the media arrested and pepper sprayed and treated like protesters?

I think that police tend to be a little heavy handed in general during conventions, and many of the protesters that you hear about are pretty ridiculous and deserve a lot of the treatment they get.

The Donna Brazile story is odd, because she won't comment on what happened that got her pepper sprayed in the first place.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)
Let me see, what is the media going to cover more? Protesters or members of the media arrested and pepper sprayed and treated like protesters?

I think that police tend to be a little heavy handed in general during conventions, and many of the protesters that you hear about are pretty ridiculous and deserve a lot of the treatment they get.

The Donna Brazile story is odd, because she won't comment on what happened that got her pepper sprayed in the first place.

I meant it in the way that stupid stuff's going to happen, across the board. I do think, though, that the GOP convention will have more crap happen because they're the ones with the White House right now, and people hate Bush.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
and people hate Bush.

You can argue where he ranks based on merit in terms of all time presidents, but I would think he has to easily be the most hated two term president ever, if not president in general. When the opposing party is saying that the current candidate is just like you as a big part of it's campaign, people accurately claim it will help a certain campaign that you aren't there at it's convention, and so on, it says a lot about your popularity.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)

Have to agree with you there, WTF??? these people are f***ed up...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
You can argue where he ranks based on merit in terms of all time presidents, but I would think he has to easily be the most hated two term president ever, if not president in general. When the opposing party is saying that the current candidate is just like you as a big part of it's campaign, people accurately claim it will help a certain campaign that you aren't there at it's convention, and so on, it says a lot about your popularity.

Truman and LBJ were both hated pretty bad during their presidencies because of wars (moreso LBJ). History looks back more or less favorably on Truman, but people still think "Vietnam" when they think of LBJ. Time will tell with Bush 43 though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
Truman and LBJ were both hated pretty bad during their presidencies because of wars (moreso LBJ). History looks back more or less favorably on Truman, but people still think "Vietnam" when they think of LBJ. Time will tell with Bush 43 though.

Which is a shame, because minorities in this country pretty much owe their civil rights to LBJ. For all the flowery talk that Kennedy gave, he never planned on delivering more than that.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Which is a shame, because minorities in this country pretty much owe their civil rights to LBJ. For all the flowery talk that Kennedy gave, he never planned on delivering more than that.

And Truman!

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)

Excellent point. Kennedy completely balked at following through with that, as he didn't want to alienate the Dixiecrats.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)

Absolutely 1000 percent true. I wish more people realized this.