Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an excerpt of Bob Cesca's live blogging of the GOP convention:

7:04PM

Fred Thompson is scheduled to speak tonight in place of Rudy Giuliani who will be forced to stay home and scare the piss out of the people in his living room. I've attained an exclusive rehearsal video of Thompson's address:

:lolhitting

Pure comedy gold!

And another fine nugget:

7:47PM

Remind me how the Republicans will energize the McCain campaign by replacing Rudy Giuliani with Fred Thompson and Joe Lieberman? Both of which appear to be literally melting. This is like warming up for a ball game by drinking a gallon of mayonnaise.

LINK

I tried watching Fred Thompson's speech and I started nodding off. "John McCain was a POW blablahblabiityblahblah" ok Jesus Christ I know, I get it, I salute you Senator McCain but damn, there is plenty of other stuff to talk about.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
I tried watching Fred Thompson's speech and I started nodding off. "John McCain was a POW blablahblabiityblahblah" ok Jesus Christ I know, I get it, I salute you Senator McCain but damn, there is plenty of other stuff to talk about.

I'm glad you said it. I'm about to pass out at the moment. He could be saying anything he wants because I'm not sure anyone's listening.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
I'm glad you said it. I'm about to pass out at the moment. He could be saying anything he wants because I'm not sure anyone's listening.

I thought he was just going to hit the high points but he went into a full-blown narrative of the entire time.

Pretty good speech

brought up an important point, taxing business or erasing even more capital isn't going to help the economy. told McCain's story from Vietnam and tied it in to his political career nicely. even took a shot at the media :lol:

not a policy speech by any means, which they really need to focus on. can't have too many speeches like that one.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
The Democrats are much better speakers.

This is true. Even though I'm a democrat, I still wanted to hear what the Republicans have to say. I'm not bashing them or anything, but this is boring.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
Pretty good speech

brought up an important point, taxing business or erasing even more capital isn't going to help the economy. told McCain's story from Vietnam and tied it in to his political career nicely. even took a shot at the media :lol:

not a policy speech by any means, which they really need to focus on. can't have too many speeches like that one.

He started off ok then trailed off. I missed the last part and I'm gonna have to watch it again when I can fast-forward.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
This is true. Even though I'm a democrat, I still wanted to hear what the Republicans have to say. I'm not bashing them or anything, but this is boring.

If you watch on CNN there is a guy really close to one of their mics yelling and stuff. it sounds totally out of place and is kinda funny, you might find that entertaining. well entertaining for a little bit at least, then it gets annoying.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
If you watch on CNN there is a guy really close to one of their mics yelling and stuff. it sounds totally out of place and is kinda funny, you might find that entertaining. well entertaining for a little bit at least, then it gets annoying.

Yeah, i heard him yell USA! a couple times. He's a man after my own heart.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 08:18 AM)
I still wish Fred Thompson would have been our nominee. Its too bad people would rather be dazzled versus having some solid policy discussions and the like, because Thompson had by far the best ideas and the most substance in this campaign cycle.

I agree. He more closely aligns to what I think a president should be. But for whatever reason, he had his head up his ass for the whole campaign.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
I agree. He more closely aligns to what I think a president should be. But for whatever reason, he had his head up his ass for the whole campaign.

He ran a half-assed campaign. He seemed to think he could get by on popularity.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:28 AM)
He ran a half-assed campaign. He seemed to think he could get by on popularity.

Which is really too bad. We have essentially turned our Presidential process into a popularity contest. Heck its sad but, we have become Cub fans when it comes to electing a President. How many people watched his speech? How many people are at the convention? Who is sitting in the front row? Who gives a s***? None of that matters.