Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
The "Democratic nominee" thing is perfectly fine. That's how campaigns like these have often been done. In major speeches many candidates have flat-out refused to give much attention to their opponent by name. It's really not a big deal.

I didn't have a problem with that. Obama mentions McCain's name mostly so he can say "Bush-McCain" deliberately.

I guess I was expecting more here considering I don't know s*** about her.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
So does this about sum up her speach....fear...war.....shot at Obama...fear....war....shot at Obama?

But seriously, I was really hoping to hear more about real issues during this speech and there has been very little of that.

Remember, "this election is not about issues." If you think they are important, you are a bad little voter.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
My point is that her speech was no different from Biden's. Was his that bad for those that are complaining about hers?

We all know Biden. He has been around forever. We know where he stands on almost every issue. I would have liked her to talk a little more about the issues than making dumb jokes about Obama.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
My point is that her speech was no different from Biden's. Was his that bad for those that are complaining about hers?

I was not a fan of his either, but mainly for me it was the delivery. You are presenting yourself to be the assistant to the leader of the free world and your taking silly pot shots with a smile no less. She seemed extremely arrogant. And while Biden did his share of attacking he was extremely respectful of McCain the entire time.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
We all know Biden. He has been around forever. We know where he stands on almost every issue. I would have liked her to talk a little more about the issues than making dumb jokes about Obama.

Well said. His voting record can tell you about where he stands on the issues. No one knows anything about this woman and I don't know anything more after hearing this speech.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)
Even if you don't agree with a word of what she said, it was a very well executed speech.

I thought so too. I can see the "charisma" they were talking about. But she reminded me of Hillary in a not-so-good way.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
And while Biden did his share of attacking he was extremely respectful of McCain the entire time.

I agree. i think there is a difference between saying he wont keep you safe and "They're the ones whose names appear on laws and landmark reforms, not just on buttons and banners, or on self-designed presidential seals".

that's just snarky.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)

WE might know where Biden stands, because most of the people who post in here actually follow politics, but come on, all those years in the Senate, what has Joe really doone that the average person would know? The average Joe in Kansas could probably tell you that he had ran for president before lowering himself to the VP, but that would be about it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
Even if you don't agree with a word of what she said, it was a very well executed speech.

I imagine anyone holed up in a hotel room for 3 days practicing would be able to read pretty darn good also.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)
I was not a fan of his either, but mainly for me it was the delivery. You are presenting yourself to be the assistant to the leader of the free world and your taking silly pot shots with a smile no less. She seemed extremely arrogant. And while Biden did his share of attacking he was extremely respectful of McCain the entire time.

Very well said.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
I imagine anyone holed up in a hotel room for 3 days practicing would be able to read pretty darn good also.

I've always thought I would be a great public speaker as long as someone else writes the speech for me. I'm a bad writer, but a good "down to earth" speaker.

Yea, i could have given her speech.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)

For the most part, I agree. I think she did as good as she could have hoped to. At the same time, I think a lot of the attack on the opposition came off ineffective, mostly because they stuck with caricatures and easy, tired cliches.

Not what i had hped, but give them a few hours:

Says spokesman Bill Burton:

The speech that Governor Palin gave was well delivered, but it was written by George Bush’s speechwriter and sounds exactly like the same divisive, partisan attacks we’ve heard from George Bush for the last eight years. If Governor Palin and John McCain want to define ‘change’ as voting with George Bush 90% of the time, that’s their choice, but we don’t think the American people are ready to take a 10% chance on change.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Not what i had hped, but give them a few hours:

Says spokesman Bill Burton:

The speech that Governor Palin gave was well delivered, but it was written by George Bush’s speechwriter and sounds exactly like the same divisive, partisan attacks we’ve heard from George Bush for the last eight years. If Governor Palin and John McCain want to define ‘change’ as voting with George Bush 90% of the time, that’s their choice, but we don’t think the American people are ready to take a 10% chance on change.

That was very lame.