Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
Is there such a thing in Schaumburg?

I mean, in Obama's case, it was a job, paid for (iirc) by a coalition of church groups. As I understand it, it basically involves working towards community needs that no one person/church can fulfill on its own. Perhaps sometimes helping kids get to school, but moreso trying to arrange a way to ensure they get to school regularly. I would think the local government in Schaumburg would handle most of that. I'm just not sure it would be helpful to have such a person in a suburb, with people so much more dispersed.

You actually kind of made my point. Here a "community organize" may be nothing more than a volunteer working to clean up the lawn. but n the south side it's very different. Here it might be more of a organizer of community events.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
wow. Harry Reed called Palin "shrill".

Not good. not good.

I think it would be offensive if it wasn't true. I don't think it will hurt them. To be honest, I think outside of that hall not many females will be proud of what she did tonight. A damn shame too. Such a historical event and she stunk it up speaking like a 2 year old. Those writers should be fired, IMO.

It seems rather dangerous to mock an entire group of people who work in the service of the community at low pay. That sounds kinda, uh, honorable. The Dems could really do a lot of damage on this, if they play it right. Focus on community organizers and people who they've helped recently -- not on Obama's CU experience. It could be a thing of beauty.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
I have had to speak in front of groups at different times. The only one I felt good about was one where i was so hung over from the night before that I couldn't see past the first row. Glad I could still see my notes, though. otherwise, more than 20 people I broke out in a big sweat. Don't think I could have stood on that stage at all. NOW I am off to bed.

As long as I know my subject matter the size of the group I'm speaking in front of doesn't matter. It's speaking in front of people, period. I've given speeches for as few as about 5 people and as many as 1000 or so. I don't really notice... I'm aware that there are people, but I'm not worried about how many b/c I'm thinking about my words, not the audience. So I guess theoretically I could get on TV and speak in front of a couple million people, and I won't feel it then... I'd feel it LATER when I was watching myself on a recording though.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
It seems rather dangerous to mock an entire group of people who work in the service of the community at low pay. That sounds kinda, uh, honorable. The Dems could really do a lot of damage on this, if they play it right. Focus on community organizers and people who they've helped recently -- not on Obama's CU experience. It could be a thing of beauty.

My girl, Nora O'DOnnell, just said on MSNBC that over the past few days people have asked her "what is a community organizer?".

Now is a GREAT time to introduce Obama the Organizer and show just how out of touch Palin and the GOP are for mocking community organizers. Remember, the crowd LAUGHED when she mocked community organizers

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
You actually kind of made my point. Here a "community organize" may be nothing more than a volunteer working to clean up the lawn. but n the south side it's very different. Here it might be more of a organizer of community events.

We have community organizers in Plainfield, Naperville and Aurora. The tasks may be different, but the title is the same and some make nice coinage for doing so out this way.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)
Harry Dirtbag Reid? Please. His opinion matters about as much as my dog's pile of s*** he just left on the ground outside.

MSNBC and CNN are harping on it and all the chicks appear to be "greatly offended" rolleyes, puke, etc, etc... so you might want to have a chit chat with that s***.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
We have community organizers in Plainfield, Naperville and Aurora. The tasks may be different, but the title is the same and some make nice coinage for doing so out this way.

thanks for the info. I've never really dealt with one in this area. Might exst, but I've never seen one other than the "let's clean the neighborhood" type stuff you see every year.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
My girl, Nora O'DOnnell, just said on MSNBC that over the past few days people have asked her "what is a community organizer?".

Now is a GREAT time to introduce Obama the Organizer and show just how out of touch Palin and the GOP are for mocking community organizers. Remember, the crowd LAUGHED when she mocked community organizers

I cringed when the crowd lauged. Making fun of a community organizer, especially one from an area where it's important, is just not good. At best, it looks ignorant and it worst, it looks almost racist. I really didn't like her doing that, but I've already make that pretty clear. The dems will jump all over that if they know what's good for them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)

I saw about half the speech. She reminded me of Summer in Napoleon Dynamite, honestly. I kept expecting to hear "Who wants to eat chimineychangas in the cafeteria anyway?"

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
MSNBC and CNN are harping on it and all the chicks appear to be "greatly offended" rolleyes, puke, etc, etc... so you might want to have a chit chat with that s***.

I respect anyone's opinion over that two bit jackass. Including some reporters on MSLSD, sadly enough. My comment was more the reflection that Harry Reid is a freaking dolt, not that she isn't shrill. To be honest, I agree. I just hate Harry Reid, probably about as bad as any Democrat this side of Nancy Pelosi. I can actually somewhat respect RSO. I disagree with him and his policy, but I at least somewhat respect him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
As long as I know my subject matter the size of the group I'm speaking in front of doesn't matter. It's speaking in front of people, period. I've given speeches for as few as about 5 people and as many as 1000 or so. I don't really notice... I'm aware that there are people, but I'm not worried about how many b/c I'm thinking about my words, not the audience. So I guess theoretically I could get on TV and speak in front of a couple million people, and I won't feel it then... I'd feel it LATER when I was watching myself on a recording though.

Some people can give speeches. I have seen subject matter experts who have written books get up in front of a crowd and just fail to deliver. They shut down. There are people who have no problem getting in front of people and there are others who cant. For me its an adrenaline rush. The only thing I had to learn early in doing it was to control was my tempo. I would jump out quickly. Once I learned to pace myself, I got a lot better.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)
thanks for the info. I've never really dealt with one in this area. Might exst, but I've never seen one other than the "let's clean the neighborhood" type stuff you see every year.

Community Organizing is hard to do successfully. I've tried it, and it's hard, mostly thankless work.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
I cringed when the crowd lauged. Making fun of a community organizer, especially one from an area where it's important, is just not good. At best, it looks ignorant and it worst, it looks almost racist. I really didn't like her doing that, but I've already make that pretty clear. The dems will jump all over that if they know what's good for them.

Here's how I'd roll this out. Draw "positive" to "negative" contrasts.

What i mean is point to Obama running a voter registration drive... then contrast that by saying that her towns bylaws say the mayor is a figure head (or something to that effect). Maybe find something on her talking about th local moose population.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)

They will. Frankly, her speech had a hell of a lot of places that they could flat out BURY McCain's whole damn election chances.

It's turned into a bunch of who can dodge the s***balls the best.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 12:21 AM)

I don't like that approach, because he's not running on his co experience. She mocked the very idea of being a community organizer. I would show the work that organizers are doing TODAY, particularly in the inner city, the people who are doing the work and the results that are happening in America now. Say, look, these are the people who she says have no responsibilities. These are the people she was laughing at. Is this the sort of activity we want our American leaders mocking? What she said didn't just ridicule Obama -- that should be clear, and it can't become a mere feud.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
Some people can give speeches. I have seen subject matter experts who have written books get up in front of a crowd and just fail to deliver. They shut down. There are people who have no problem getting in front of people and there are others who cant. For me its an adrenaline rush. The only thing I had to learn early in doing it was to control was my tempo. I would jump out quickly. Once I learned to pace myself, I got a lot better.

I don't like public speaking at all, don't get me wrong. And I'm not the best public speaker aside from the inflection of my voice. But to me the hard part is the start, and it's all mental. Once I establish a rhythm I don't care about the rest of the speech, at no point during me speaking can I ever see myself going "holy s*** I'm talking to 1.5 million people everybody can see me omg"

...but I could understand how that happens to people.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
I don't like that approach, because he's not running on his co experience. She mocked the very idea of being a community organizer. I would show the work that organizers are doing TODAY, particularly in the inner city, the people who are doing the work and the results that are happening in America now. Say, look, these are the people who she says have no responsibilities. These are the people she was laughing at. Is this the sort of activity we want our American leaders mocking? What she said didn't just ridicule Obama -- that should be clear, and it can't become a mere feud.

I think you can do both. They need to punch the Obama art though to blunt direct attacks on him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
I don't like public speaking at all, don't get me wrong. And I'm not the best public speaker aside from the inflection of my voice. But to me the hard part is the start, and it's all mental. Once I establish a rhythm I don't care about the rest of the speech, at no point during me speaking can I ever see myself going "holy s*** I'm talking to 1.5 million people everybody can see me omg"

...but I could understand how that happens to people.

I watched one of the smartest people in computer security give a speech and just was in shock at how horrible it was. I have met the man personally and have talked to him, brilliant person horrible horrible public speaker.