Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
Roland Martin on CNN is RIPPING into Palin for mocking community organizers. He said his parents were community organizers and CLEARLY Palin and the GOP have no clue to their importance. He went hard at her and he seemed pissed.

They are VERY important but I don't think community organizing does much to get you ready to be president. I didn't really like her mocking community organizers to be honest, but I think her point was that doing that doesn't do anything to qualify you to be president, and I think that point is valid. I mean I suppose you could say you bring people together doing community organizing and that somehow relates to being good in getting politicans to compromise, but that's about it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
Roland Martin on CNN is RIPPING into Palin for mocking community organizers. He said his parents were community organizers and CLEARLY Palin and the GOP have no clue to their importance. He went hard at her and he seemed pissed.

I thought that was awesome. I hope Obama uses something like that.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
The guy on msnbc just said that people are saying that this might not play well with the middle, because she may have come off a little too sarcastic. It really looked like he wanted to say b****y.

I almost said it, but stopped myself.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)

I was just going to post about that.

Back on Rudy, Jim and I met him at the All Star game in Milwaukee and he was as nice as pie - even while discussing politics - and I have not paid any attention to him over the past few years. What a nasty man.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
They are VERY important but I don't think community organizing does much to get you ready to be president. I didn't really like her mocking community organizers to be honest, but I think her point was that doesn't do anything to qualify you to be president, and I think that point is valid.

it played right into the "GOP is out of touch" line. Ye,s you can say they dont have executive power. but dont brush them off as just people who dont do much and try to be self important.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
They are VERY important but I don't think community organizing does much to get you ready to be president. I didn't really like her mocking community organizers to be honest, but I think her point was that doesn't do anything to qualify you to be president, and I think that point is valid.

They just kinda skipped over him being a state senator though and act like he was a community organizer, and only that, before he got elected to the US senate. It's become routine.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
The guy on msnbc just said that people are saying that this might not play well with the middle, because she may have come off a little too sarcastic. It really looked like he wanted to say b****y.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
I almost said it, but stopped myself.

My wife said it. lol. She was defending her from all the bulls*** media attacks until about 40 minutes ago.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 03:51 AM)
it played right into the "GOP is out of touch" line. Ye,s you can say they dont have executive power. but dont brush them off as just people who dont do much and try to be self important.

I have to ask this...are community organizers usually associated with black neighborhoods? This is the first thing that my brother and I thought of, and after viewing Roland Martin's comments tonight, I have a feeling this is going to become a bigger issue.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
I have to ask this...are community organizers usually associated with black neighborhoods? This is the first thing that my brother and I thought of, and after viewing Roland Martin's comments tonight, I have a feeling this is going to become a bigger issue.

You could make a generalization like that and be safe, yeah. More like poor neighborhoods but the bulk of poor neighborhoods in cities is black.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)

Community organizers are a lot more important than many people realize. Like I said, I didn't like that part much and if I were running the show, that part of the speech gets cut out. I understand the point she was trying to make, but you should leave that one alone.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
They just kinda skipped over him being a state senator though and act like he was a community organizer, and only that, before he got elected to the US senate. It's become routine.

Yeah, but you had to know that was going to happen. It's how the system works.

Also, on a side note, I bet somebody picks up on the community organizing mocking by Palin and calls it racist. I don't think it actually was, but community organizers are VERY VERY important especially in less wealthy communities, and you know where I'm going with this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)

I dont have a ton of experience, but i think "community organizer" is a rather broad umbrella. In my town of Schaumburg you might organize a community clean up day but on the southside it might involve getting kids to school.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:54 PM)
Yeah, but you had to know that was going to happen. It's how the system works.

Also, on a side note, I bet somebody picks up on the community organizing mocking by Palin and calls it racist. I don't think it actually was, but community organizers are VERY VERY important especially in less wealthy communities, and you know where I'm going with this.

That accusation kind of makes itself. It's mostly ignorance than anything else.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a community organizer.

About the speech I don't think it was what she needed to do. That speech is not going to get many people in the middle to look very kindly upon her. This speech was her introduction to the nation and the only people that it truly appealed to are the right wing conservatives who already supported McCain so while it may motivate the base it won't win many new votes.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
Yeah, you'd swear she had never met a community organizer in her life (maybe she hasn't, being from Alaska).

there wasnt much community to organize. you stand n the corner and yell really loud.

JUST JOKING! I'm actually moving to a small rural iowa town next year. I prefer it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
Someone on CNN just said they talked to a Democratic Pollster, so take this with a grain of salt, that said he think she might have come off as a little too harsh in her debut.

That's fair to say. I thought it was great, but I enjoy sarcasm and dry humor so I'm biased.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
Martin Luther King Jr. was a community organizer.

To me, he's the ultimate community organizer. I don't know where he started out doing that, but he ended up organizing the entire black community in a positive way, and obviously helped get amazing things done.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
I dont have a ton of experience, but i think "community organizer" is a rather broad umbrella. In my town of Schaumburg you might organize a community clean up day but on the southside it might involve getting kids to school.

Is there such a thing in Schaumburg?

I mean, in Obama's case, it was a job, paid for (iirc) by a coalition of church groups. As I understand it, it basically involves working towards community needs that no one person/church can fulfill on its own. Perhaps sometimes helping kids get to school, but moreso trying to arrange a way to ensure they get to school regularly. I would think the local government in Schaumburg would handle most of that. I'm just not sure it would be helpful to have such a person in a suburb, with people so much more dispersed.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
Is there such a thing in Schaumburg?

I mean, in Obama's case, it was a job, paid for (iirc) by a coalition of church groups. As I understand it, it basically involves working towards community needs that no one person/church can fulfill on its own. Perhaps sometimes helping kids get to school, but moreso trying to arrange a way to ensure they get to school regularly. I would think the local government in Schaumburg would handle most of that. I'm just not sure it would be helpful to have such a person in a suburb, with people so much more dispersed.

Yeah community organizers are really only of meaingful use in areas that don't have a ton of money.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
wow. Harry Reed called Palin "shrill".

Not good. not good.

Is that like some horrible thing to say? I don't agree with him, but unless shrill means something different than I think, I don't see the controversy.

Edited by whitesoxfan101