Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the McCain camp complaints about the attacks on her now look untenable. You can't openly mock an opponent that way and then cry foul when your administration of a berg is made to look like small potatoes.

Hopefully the Dems hit back hard on the community organizer mockery. Personally, I think that could be very effective.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
I've always thought I would be a great public speaker as long as someone else writes the speech for me. I'm a bad writer, but a good "down to earth" speaker.

Yea, i could have given her speech.

We need people like that. Us writers can't deliever a speech AT ALL.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
I thought so too. I can see the "charisma" they were talking about. But she reminded me of Hillary in a not-so-good way.

Oh for sure on the bolded. She had that smug/arrogance about her, and I can see the Hillary comparisons already in that regard. I personally never minded it too much even from Hillary (other stuff about her bothers me), so I sure won't with Palin. You damn well better believe in yourself if you are going to have a job this important.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
I've always thought I would be a great public speaker as long as someone else writes the speech for me. I'm a bad writer, but a good "down to earth" speaker.

Yea, i could have given her speech.

I think people are overestimating what it takes to stand up in front of a large group of strangers and make a speech. Memorizing a speech is one thing, being able to stand up and deliver the content fluidly is another. I have spent a lot of my career speaking at conferences, and in front of large amounts of people. There is a difference when you have a small room of a hundred, and another when you are on a stage with a wireless headset speaking to a large auditorium being video broadcast.

Kinda funny watching certain members of the media self-select when getting indignant at the phrase 'left leaning media'. The guy from TIME was especially funny. he took it as if she called him out by name. Well, if the shoe fits....

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 04:39 AM)
I think people are overestimating what it takes to stand up in front of a large group of strangers and make a speech. Memorizing a speech is one thing, being able to stand up and deliver the content fluidly is another. I have spent a lot of my career speaking at conferences, and in front of large amounts of people. There is a difference when you have a small room of a hundred, and another when you are on a stage with a wireless headset speaking to a large auditorium being video broadcast.

I think as long as there were so many lights I couldn't see the audience I could do a bang up job.

I would Slam my fists down over and over and Point my fingers at the audience and yell at them.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)

that's a far enough assessment. I just know personally, I feel very comfortable speaking when it's written and I dont have to ad lib.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
was that sarcastic or not? I hope my comments didnt come off as ripping into speech writers at all.

No I am dead serious. :lolhitting

People who are gifted writers often time aren't great at delivering speeches for some reason, or that's what I've seen in college. I know it's true for me personally.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
Kinda funny watching certain members of the media self-select when getting indignant at the phrase 'left leaning media'. The guy from TIME was especially funny. he took it as if she called him out by name. Well, if the shoe fits....

Anderson Cooper just made some sarcastic comment about not being a part of the elitist media or something to that effect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
Don't know if anyone has noted this yet, but supposedly the RNC had a Palin introduction video that wound up getting cut because 9/11 ran a little too long.

That reminds me... has he always been that... ummm... pricky? He is one bitter betty that's for sure.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
No I am dead serious. :lolhitting

People who are gifted writers often time aren't great at delivering speeches for some reason, or that's what I've seen in college. I know it's true for me personally.

ah ok. just checkin. lol

I feel the need to cover my rear the last few days. lol

And to be fair, maybe if I were in her position i'd have pooped my pants. I just feel i'd have been ok.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
ah ok. just checkin. lol

I feel the need to cover my rear the last few days. lol

And to be fair, maybe if I were in her position i'd have pooped my pants. I just feel i'd have been ok.

I have had to speak in front of groups at different times. The only one I felt good about was one where i was so hung over from the night before that I couldn't see past the first row. Glad I could still see my notes, though. otherwise, more than 20 people I broke out in a big sweat. Don't think I could have stood on that stage at all. NOW I am off to bed.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
Yes. I really hate his guts, seriously. To a borderline irrational degree.

Me too. I have a friend that is from New York and absolutely loves him. I felt it necessary to go over to his apartment and tell him what a prick giuliani is after hearing him speak tonight.