Glass half empty or full; Pessimism/Optimism?

greg775

I just got back from a trip to Canada and after not following the Sox closely all weekend I'm suddenly feeling a panic attack concerning the team.

Tell me what's gonna happen the rest of the way.

Are the Sox and Minnesota going to be within a game or so of each other all frickin month? Are we going to tank the next two to Cleveland get swept at home by the Angels and be out of it quickly? Or are we going to storm through the month like a tank and win the division by four games? What's gonna happen???

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
I just got back from a trip to Canada and after not following the Sox closely all weekend I'm suddenly feeling a panic attack concerning the team.

Tell me what's gonna happen the rest of the way.

Are the Sox and Minnesota going to be within a game or so of each other all frickin month? Are we going to tank the next two to Cleveland get swept at home by the Angels and be out of it quickly? Or are we going to storm through the month like a tank and win the division by four games? What's gonna happen???

We are about to win 6 straight and the Twins are about to lose 6 straight.

I fear our trip to New York, but the Twins got four in TB. This is going down to the end. Every game is so important, we can't give anything away.

I think the Sox take it when we go into Minnesota and take two out of three. I think we are due for a nice series there.

I am very skeptical of our chances at this point just b/c it seems we havent played well yet. However, I refuse to believe the Twins are actually better than us, and call it blind optimism but I am confident we can take 2/3 in Minny later and I think TB will take 3/4 against them in a couple weeks to allow us to enter our last series up a game.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
The way the Twins have been playing here lately doesnt have me exactly shaking in my boots.
It is up to Ozzie and his band of merry men. It is crunch time. All the pieces have to come together. We have a 50/50 chance at the central title and a 50/50 chance at the wild card.. I would be happy with either. If we make it we'll have to be playing at playoff intensity if not we are cooked. If we make the playoffs and the world series we will of course win the series. Edited by forrestg

I'm going with the optimist angle on this. I think we win the division the last week of the season. We beat Cliff Lee at home to clinch... AJ with the game deciding homerun off of him.

If you think back to the beginning of the season, we were picked to finish 3rd/4th by everyone. I'd be surprised if anyone had much faith that we'd even be this close by September. I know I didn't. If the Sox would grant me one request, I just want them to be mentally tough - no defensive miscues, work the count, strong outings when the pen is called in. There are no give away games left for us. If we're going to get beat, I'd rather lose a game like last night where Cliff Lee was dealing. There are a lot of games we should have won this year... let's hope the should've is put to rest by Sept 28th.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)
Might win the division. No chance in the post season....and I'm one of the optimistic ones. I'm gonna take it one game at a time. A lot can happen.

Im confused wouldnt an optimist believe we can win the world series? Because im an optimist, and dont think its out of the question. You only need 11 wins to win it all in October. We have the hitting, and our pitchers can get hot (as shown in the past).

I will not give up hope because as a sports fan hoping to just "make" the postseason is not fun. All 8 teams have a chance to dance all the way home.

"Drops Mic"

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
Im confused wouldnt an optimist believe we can win the world series? Because im an optimist, and dont think its out of the question. You only need 11 wins to win it all in October. We have the hitting, and our pitchers can get hot (as shown in the past).

I will not give up hope because as a sports fan hoping to just "make" the postseason is not fun. All 8 teams have a chance to dance all the way home.

"Drops Mic"

Based on how the team has been playing, thinking they might make the post season IS being optimistic.

their starting pitching is just solid - slowey, perkins, blackburn and baker have just been very reliable. Which is why I see us going into the dome in about the same shape we're in now unless we go into the tank against the Angels, in which case we'll be looking up. What are we, like 1-5 in the dome this year? Would be sweet to exorcise some of those demons, but until I see it I just have to say I'm "cautiously" optimistic.

I think we can do decent enough to keep it close before the Twins series which will reveal a winner. I doubt this thing goes down to the last day of the season though.

As far as whose gonna win it? I predicted the twinkies starting staff was gonna wet the bed. That isn't happening. Our pitching has been pretty bad. I'm getting the feeling we won't make it, but they have the talent to turn it around... so we'll see.

One thing you won't see me do is start screaming the sky is falling. This place is gonna erupt if we lose.

Nothing is written yet, but much bad has been happening lately. We've had so many chances to pull away from the Twins, and we lay eggs-like tonight. I want to see the playoffs, but if we stumble into them, what happens then? Boston, TB, and LA are not just a little better, they're AL v. NL better. Playing them is bad, what about at Fenway or the Trop? Losing the makeup game in Baltimore kind of got me preparing for a Sox-less October. Not too much has gone right since. I realize we may be there yet, but my gut tells me otherwise. I hope I'm wrong for doubting this team.

This place is gonna erupt if we lose.

I don't know about that, but I think many of us will then be hoping for some major changes, even recognizing it's always a pretty good year when you are in the race in September.

I also feel bad for doubting our chances, but man to lose five of six this time of year. It's unfortunate to say the least. We have a lot of veterans who should really want to be playing in the postseason THIS YEAR.

Hope they can right the ship. Sixteen over .500 is a damn good record, but we are such a Jeckyll-Hyde team it's maddening to me at least.