DJ....He Gone

fathom

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:uhoh

Yeah, DJ has grown on me as well, mostly because he seems like such a decent guy. Hawk and Stone will probably be great, but I wish they had made this move at the end of the season rather than now. Knowing he's out will probably make the rest of the year bittersweet for DJ, especially if we make/do anything in the playoffs.

Hawk and Stoney are the sh&*. This is great news. DJ's not a bad guy but the bottom line is Hawk has never truly respected him. This was an incredible combination in the booth last year.

I like most of this board can go without Hawk's ever increasing moaning about the calls not going our way, but outside of that I think Stoney will keep Hawk in check and add so much more insight to the broadcast.

This coupled with MLB.TV's new feature offering the choice of which broadcast you want to watch is huge for us out of towners!

This will probably differ from a lot what people did post and will post, but I actually preferred early DJ, where he was taking Hawk to task on his outdated sayings. If anything I think that pushed Hawk to start making new ones (not that those are particularly hilarious either, but at least are a change of pace)

Otherwise, I echo what others have said: DJ seems like a nice guy but a tier down as far as broadcasting ability. I actually think he was a lot better in Fox games way back when, when paired with a different guy. It got less lax and jokey, and we saw him take the reins a little better.

The only downside to this news is that I enjoy the Farmer/Stone combo so much I'm worried that Hawk/Stone won't match it. I grew to like DJ as a person, and he probably deserves a TV gig for some MLB team, but it's troublesome how many times during the course of 9 innings that I cringe at something he says.

It's bittersweet, Stone is awesome and will improve the booth, but DJ is a good guy too. Plus he's less of a homer than Hawk. In a perfect world you'd be able to have 3 in the booth to keep DJ, but that wouldn't work as well. Good luck to you DJ, I hope you take the radio job because I'll be listening on XM Radio, or whatever the merger will be called.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
Stone is the bridge to the future, a future without Hawk.

I'm a big fan of DJ, but that's the only way I will accept this move. We HAVE to be guaranteed Stone is here for the long haul. He kind of seems like the Larry Brown of the booth these past few years. It's not worth it, in my opinion, if it's only temporary (1-3 seasons).

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
LINK?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2268738.story

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm a big fan of DJ, but that's the only way I will accept this move. We HAVE to be guaranteed Stone is here for the long haul. He kind of seems like the Larry Brown of the booth these past few years. It's not worth it, in my opinion, if it's only temporary (1-3 seasons).

The White Sox announced Saturday that Stone has signed a six-year deal (with a club option for 2015) to become the team's television analyst.
Edited by kyyle23