Black Friday Hot Deal Thread

sox4lifeinPA

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
Can we start this now? I'm trying to find a good deal on TVs. If anyone sees something good put it here.

thanks.

We got our 52 incher for $999 at Circuit City last year. Got up at 2am to wait in line. Store only had like 3 in stock. Booyah!

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
We got our 52 incher for $999 at Circuit City last year. Got up at 2am to wait in line. Store only had like 3 in stock. Booyah!

That's my plan.

I'm hoping for some great deals this year.

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
http://www.theblackfriday.com/

so far only Sears has published their ad

Sears

Samsung 32" LN32A300 LCD HDTV $499.99

just go to walmart.com for some good deals everyday, they have a sharp and a toshiba 32" for $500 each, they both have gotten great reviews and have good specs.

But let me know if theres a 32in deal out there for like $350 or $400, I really hope that stores and producers get desperate enough to mark it down that much, it would be so sweet.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
just go to walmart.com for some good deals everyday, they have a sharp and a toshiba 32" for $500 each, they both have gotten great reviews and have good specs.

But let me know if theres a 32in deal out there for like $350 or $400, I really hope that stores and producers get desperate enough to mark it down that much, it would be so sweet.

32 inch? What is this? 2006? Absurd!

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
http://www.theblackfriday.com/

so far only Sears has published their ad

Sears

Samsung 32" LN32A300 LCD HDTV $499.99

And noteworthy...that's a leaked ad, not a published ad. Sears is considering asking some places to take it down. They may well be wanting to do some more cutting than that, the early reviews of their TV discounts didn't impress people.

Sears is overpriced for electronics to begin with. I just bought a Samsung 650 (52") last week and they really have done a good job with the pricing year round. I paid the same amount of money for the LCD than I did for the DLP 2 years ago. What are you looking for exactly? You have so many options with TVs it's ridiculous...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Ugh.

Just say no to plasma, and yes to LCD!

Yeah right, plasma's are superior in cost, black levels, and quick moving shows like sports. For a sports junkie, plasmas are king. I just bought a 50in sammy from amazon a few weeks ago. No tax, free shipping, free set up.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
Me too. It is also the biggest TV that will fit into our entertainment center/kid's crap holder.

We actually got the TV we have now 5 or 6 years ago when we bought a new entertainment center. We've since switched to a corner TV stand that it just sits on top of. Now with all the space around it, the TV actually looks pretty small.

One of these days if we get a newer TV, we may even upgrade from basic cable...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Yeah right, plasma's are superior in cost, black levels, and quick moving shows like sports. For a sports junkie, plasmas are king. I just bought a 50in sammy from amazon a few weeks ago. No tax, free shipping, free set up.

Pish. Do a little research and grab an LCD that doesn't suffer from picture blur. Not that hard to find, it's called SAMSUNG.

Then, sure, the pure black isn't perfect, but I'd take that over worrying about burn-in and enjoying my television for twice the life cycle.

I don't want anymore excuses to watch TV. I'm keeping my small, old, picture tube. Plus I really did not want to spend the money. Then it dawned on me, if I had a cool TV, like that 50" one that Rex has, I'd post less, a lot less. And I am certain some people here would appreciate that. So send your donations through PayPal to my email address . . .

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
Pish. Do a little research and grab an LCD that doesn't suffer from picture blur. Not that hard to find, it's called SAMSUNG.

Then, sure, the pure black isn't perfect, but I'd take that over worrying about burn-in and enjoying my television for twice the life cycle.

Burn in isnt a worry anymore. I did a TON of research including asking several people in the industry. Thats why i opted for this Samsung model, which is far superior to even 120 hz LCD's. As far as lifecycle? I blow through TV's in less than 10 years, so im not too worried about keeping a TV for 50. LCD companies have done a good job of marketing their more expensive LCD's to the general public, but most videophiles agree that Plasma's are still superior, especially for sports.

In all honesty, only the most discriminating eye can sense the differences between tech, I've even found that alot of women cannot tell 1080 from 720, and many people cannot tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. Either way, these new TV's are unreal, my Samsung 650 plasma is an absolutely amazing TV, only falling short of the Panny Kuro's. And at just under $1500 on amazon, it was a no brainer.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
yeah, my walls won't hold much more than a 32"

I'm hoping for a 32" at 400 or less.

I have my tv mounted on a stand that makes the plas look like its wall mounted and "floating" because I didnt want to drill into my wall. It looks pretty sweet.

I currently have a regular 'ol 19-inch TV. It suits me just fine in my room at school, but I'd like to possibly upgrade this holiday season. I think a 32-inch would seem huge compared to what I've always been used to, lol...

My 1st experience with Black Friday was last year, and I just missed out on a laptop we were going to buy for my mom. Didn't realize how early people got places. My sister and I showed up about 2 hours before Circuit City opened and the line was already really long.

Id recommend everyone not to go with plasma. Burn-in isnt that big of a deal anymore although still very possible. But the worse part about plasma is the color detiorates with use. After just 6 months of avg. use a plasma's picture wont be as good when you first opened it out of the box. If you want something that will look sweet for sports, get the 120hz on a LCD.

We have a plasma (panasonic), great TV. Burn in isn't an issue on modern models. The picture on plasma is so similar in quality to LCD that the difference between brands/models of each is more important than the difference between LCD and plasma.

Two things that I did find worth noting, though...

1. Plasma is superior in that you can see it from a wider angle. If you have a bunch of people watching something, this can be important.

2. Unfortunately, plasma TV's like mine use a lot more electricity than LCD's do.

Take your pick as to what is most important to you.