Four added to 40-man

flavum

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
Cook is the quintessential baseball player, I've never in my life seen a homerun hit as hard as his are.

Look, i really like what Cook brings to to the table, but he's a bit old to be an actual prospect at this point. He also stuck in a fairly signifcant logjam right now, and hasbeen complelty jumped by Brandon Allen. He's kind of like the Soxs version of Micah Hoffpauier. He's a AAAA basher, that you just don't know what you're going to get with at the Major League Level.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
Anyone have any info on Santeliz? He seems kind of a darkhorse to be added, and his #'s don't look all that great. I'd guess he has a pretty live arm?

This from Phil Rogers earlier this year...

Venezuelan righthander Clevelan Santeliz heads the ranks of WhiteSox sleepers looking to surprise. His slider had been his best pitch until late last season, when his fastball jumped from the low 90s to the mid-90s, touching 96 mph at times. He impressed White Sox coaches in instructional league and then compiled a 1.54 ERA in 19 appearances for Magallanes in the Venezuelan League. He'll pitch as a 21-year-old this season, most likely opening in the bullpen at high Class A Winston-Salem.

White Sox minor league pitching coordinator Kirk Champion compares Santeliz to Diamondbacks reliever Juan Cruz. "When he can stay under control, he can be impressive out there," Champion said. "He's tall, thin, and we know he'll mature. We need to see consistency from him over the course of a summer."

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
The fact that is fastball suddenly jumped from the low 90's to the mid 90's and even touching 96 is a bit suspicious.

Hopefully less so these days. The minors IIRC actually tend to test a little more stringently than the majors.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Wonder if they'll start Brandon out in AA or AAA next season.

And at least quickman will be happy to see Whisler off the 40 man roster now. :lol:

Thank you DBAHO, yes another one of our failed prospects whom people fell in love with. As long as people fall in love with them on this board, it should seal their fate :)

PS and I apologize in advance for intermixing threads but didn't we burn a third round pick on a third baseman (morel) and now we have a very young starting third baseman and a brand new up an comer in this Cuban guy, seems like a waste of a 3rd round pick. I hope one of them works out.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE (quickman @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
PS and I apologize in advance for intermixing threads but didn't we burn a third round pick on a third baseman (morel) and now we have a very young starting third baseman and a brand new up an comer in this Cuban guy, seems like a waste of a 3rd round pick. I hope one of them works out.

If Morel is really as good as this organization thinks he is then we'll find a way to get him at least 330 at bats per year, but we don't have to worry about that for a couple years down the line.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Wonder if they'll start Brandon out in AA or AAA next season.

I'd say the first half in B'ham, then up to Charlotte in mid June. He's only 22 and he only played 40 games in AA. But, he can mash, so his time in AA will be short.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
Look, i really like what Cook brings to to the table, but he's a bit old to be an actual prospect at this point. He also stuck in a fairly signifcant logjam right now, and hasbeen complelty jumped by Brandon Allen. He's kind of like the Soxs version of Micah Hoffpauier. He's a AAAA basher, that you just don't know what you're going to get with at the Major League Level.

Just saying David is a good ballplayer, he'll do well in the majors, just obviously not with the Sox.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
Just saying David is a good ballplayer, he'll do well in the majors, just obviously not with the Sox.

Who knows?

It's not a given that another team will pick him up.

There were quite a few good position prospects last year that didn't get picked in the draft.

Teams seem to prefer pitchers in the draft unless they have specific needs the player will fit.

I think there's a pretty good shot Cook slips through the draft and we sign him to a minor league free agent contract.

I've never seen either of these guys in person, how would you compare former Sox prospect C. Carter with Brandon Allen? Which one do you think will have the bigger major league impact? Projected numbers over a full season?

A quick glance at his (Carter's) numbers remind me of Chris Young without the speed. Strikes out about 35% of the time (say Rob Deer/Cory Snyder), hits a lot of homers and will probably have a fairly low average, .230's-.250's. Maybe a little reminiscent of Dunn as a player, with obviously a lower ceiling?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:13 AM)
I've never seen either of these guys in person, how would you compare former Sox prospect C. Carter with Brandon Allen? Which one do you think will have the bigger major league impact? Projected numbers over a full season?

A quick glance at his (Carter's) numbers remind me of Chris Young without the speed. Strikes out about 35% of the time (say Rob Deer/Cory Snyder), hits a lot of homers and will probably have a fairly low average, .230's-.250's. Maybe a little reminiscent of Dunn as a player, with obviously a lower ceiling?

I haven't seen them in person either, but from what I’ve heard Brandon Allen is much more athletic than Carter. When Allen was first drafted scouts had him pegged as a Mo Vaughan type, but since then he seems to of developed down a path that I’d say is vaguely similar to that of Lance Beckman. He got good contact, great power, and a little speed.

Carter, on the other hand, is more of the swing and/or miss with monstrous power type. Think of Adam Dunn for a similarity.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
. I haven't seen them in person either, but from what I�ve heard Brandon Allen is much more athletic than Carter. When Allen was first drafted scouts had him pegged as a Mo Vaughan type, but since then he seems to of developed down a path that I�d say is vaguely similar to that of Lance Beckman. He got good contact, great power, and a little speed.

Carter, on the other hand, is more of the swing and/or miss with monstrous power type. Think of Adam Dunn for a similarity.

I haven't seen the kid in person, but based on his strike out numbers, I would strongly argue the whole "good contact" thing when it comes to Brandon Allen.

Phil Rogers calls Brandon Allen "Ryan Howard lite".

He dramatically improved his plate discipline in 2008. Hopefully that trend continues. Because he still has a way to go. But his strikeouts were down and his BA and OBP went up pretty nicely.

Also, he significantly improved his conditioning and showed up in great physical shape this year. Hopefully another sign of maturing that continues to pay off going forward.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
^And Broadway walked out on the team instead of hanging around the locker room for the playoffs,

I love the double secret loyalty tests.

"We're going to close early today, if you are done with your work, you can go home."

"Look at them, obviously not team players. Let's get rid of them!"

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
I love the double secret loyalty tests.

"We're going to close early today, if you are done with your work, you can go home."

"Look at them, obviously not team players. Let's get rid of them!"

:lolhitting

Did you see one of the reasons Penny's option wasn't picked up by the Dodgers? He didn't hang around for the playoffs. Its more like when your boss "suggests" you work some overtime. You don't have to, but its best you take his/her advice.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
Did you see one of the reasons Penny's option wasn't picked up by the Dodgers? He didn't hang around for the playoffs. Its more like when your boss "suggests" you work some overtime. You don't have to, but its best you take his/her advise.

No, the boss told them there was no work for them, and they could leave.

Sorry I called you all to this meeting, but as it turns out, we don't need you guys, just these guys over here. So you can stick around while we have the meeting, or you could go home.