Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

OK not sure if this was posted but from Jason Stark:

Braves catcher Tyler Flowers (.394 AVG, .463 OBP, 1.014 SLG, 12 HRs in 71 ABs): "Big, strong, raw-boned guy. Very powerful offensive catcher. Defensively, needs polish. But better agility than you'd think he'd have. I'm not sure what they're going to do with him, with [brian] McCann there. But he's a player."

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Just saw one of Cowley's twitter posts from last night. Made me laugh.

"Reports are now that Boone Logan is also gone. Like the end of The Godfather, Ken Williams is whacking all that have failed him."

so awesome!

Only half way done reading this thread... but why did anyone want morton is the first place? Already 25 and the first time he ever (7 seasons) did anything noteworthy was for half of a season in triple a last season.. The he promptly went back to his old ways of being atrocious once the braves brought him up in the second half. He is fodder.

Edited by qwerty

I know there has been alot of comments on how KW "steals" players from other teams, but I think this is a very common KW trade that works out good for both teams. Here is a comment from the Braves board www.talkingchop.com

The Braves have already expressed excitement over a 2010 rotation that could include Burnett, Tim Hudson, Javier Vazquez, Jair Jurrjens and Tommy Hanson

ATL gave up nothing that they needed for 2009 and may just may their rotation the best in their division.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Only half way done reading this thread... but why did anyone want morton is the first place? Already 25 and the first time he ever (7 seasons) did anything noteworthy was for half of a season in triple a last season.. The he promptly went back to his old ways of being atrocious once the braves brought him up in the second half. He is fodder.

i told you my boner was premature

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Cole Armstrong can't be too happy. Unless it's Kenny's vision to have Flowers and Cole on the roster in 3 years or so.

I don't think they ever saw Armstrong as the Answer anyway. He was behind Lucy on the chart until Lucy was hurt, and D Lucy has not exactly been a world-beater type prospect.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
I don't think they ever saw Armstrong as the Answer anyway. He was behind Lucy on the chart until Lucy was hurt, and D Lucy has not exactly been a world-beater type prospect.

Yeah choosing Lucy over Kurt Suzuki really hurts right now, but at least KW has recognised the important of good scouting / drafting and is rectifying that situation now.

I finally get to talk after not having internet yesterday.

I have no problem with this deal at all. I don't know how long Lillibridge will last with the Sox, but he seems a lot like a Chris Burke type player, who has value but whose value is limited. The real prize of this deal is Flowers, and I'm more than happy to have him.

KW's next move is going to be interesting. I need a new member title.

I think I'd pay $100 to see KW's plan. I think I just thought of a new revenue stream. We'd have to sign an NDA of course. Thank goodness I am off of work for the winter meetings.

I've been hesitant to comment until it is final, but I love the trade just for the salary that WILL be spent on a free agent or to take on salary in a trade and Flowers. If any of the other 3 players work out, this could be a great deal for the Sox. I think the Braves will benefit from Vazquez in the NL. Nice.

I've been predicting Furcal and I'm sticking with it. I'm starting to wonder if another big player acquisition will be via trade with a package of some of the newly acquired prospects. How about Roberts and Furcal? Beckham Beckham Beckham! He can play 3rd.

Please excuse my pipe dream

Roberts 2b

Furcal SS

TCQ RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1b

Alexei LF (he's the best baseball player on the team. ask Hawk)

AJ C

Benemit/Fields or Viciedo 3b

Anderson CF

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
Would you feel any more secure with:

Indians: Lee, Carmona, Westbrook, Sowers, Reyes/Jackson, ETC

Tigers Verlander, Miner, Bonderman, Galaragga, Willis/someone?

Royals: Meche, Greinke, Bannister, Hochever, Davies/Duckworth,

Everybody has as many question marks as we do. Every team has to rely on unproven talent at some point. Our biggest competition is the Twins, and they seem to be doing just fine with their collection of young arms. We can compete in this division with a young rotation. Hell, if Bailey and Poreda pan out We have the potential to dominate it. And if they don’t… we can always sign someone, we can trade for someone, we can bring up someone, or we can ride it out until Contreras gets that leg back under him. We have options. While I think we'll pursue a veteran starter to slot in this year, I don't find the prospect of having four of the (current) and former top pitching prospects in the game in our rotation particularly alarming.

Westbrook might be out for all of 2009.....Lewis is likely to have a chance to keep his hot streak going. Sowers and Laffey figure in for 5th.

Bonderman, there's no guarantees about his injury recovery, Galaragga is their 2 right now. Willis will be traded, with the Tiggers eating salary, and they still have Nate Robertson.

For now, the Twins are the best, but Perkins and Blackburn ended up the season in shaky fashion, Liriano still has a lot to prove, Baker and Slowey have to repeat (just like Danks and Floyd) their success.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
I know there has been alot of comments on how KW "steals" players from other teams, but I think this is a very common KW trade that works out good for both teams. Here is a comment from the Braves board www.talkingchop.com

ATL gave up nothing that they needed for 2009 and may just may their rotation the best in their division.

Most Braves' fans believe that Vazquez will be sold to them as their new "ace" and that they aren't going to spend the type of money necessary to beat the Yankees for Burnett, who will be frustrated losing Sabathia/Lowe and doubly determined to get at least one of the top 3.

Hudson, there's no guarantee he will be healthy.

Jurrgens, there's a lot of concern about such a young pitcher piling up so many innings...like we've had with Danks over the past couple of seasons. He's their ace right now, essentially. (thankfully, both Maybin and Jurrgens are out of the AL Central, but Porcello looms)

Hanson has much to prove, but very talented.

Edited by caulfield12

I love me some Julio Borbon. He was my favorite player when he was at Tennessee... Not saying I'd want to trade Poreda and Jenks for him, but I'd love adding him to the system if the price were a little more equal. Like John Ely, Justin Cassel, and Santos Rodriguez (or something like that) for Borbon and another prospect would be something I'd do.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
Does anyone know anything about Santos other than the fact that he pitched well in the GCL for the braves?

I have no idea what his age is, left or right? Velocity? Secondary?

Santos Angel Rodriguez

Born: Jan. 2, 1988 in Sanchez, Dominican Republic

Ht.: 6-5 Wt.: 180

Bats: L Throws: L

Here's a few stats from baseballreference.com's minor league site.

Still looking for more info.

Edited by scenario