Angels May Consider Trading For Dye or Paulie

Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
1) Proven record of playoff success

2) Also proved he was healthy (finally) the last six weeks of the aeason and got his "normal" power back

3) Is a comparative bargain with TEX at $20 million PLUS

4) Has been targeted for years by Angels

5) Has rededicated himself this offseason to better training, conditioning and nutrition for the first time in his big league career

6) Good "buy lower" candidate...wouldn't have to give up as much in return

7) Two year contract not as scary as 3-7 year deals for certain big-name FA's

1) That's true, but that was 3 years ago, and he has since had back-to-back unproductive seasons.

2) True again, he did play well down the stretch. Still, that's a big gamble given the money owed to him.

3) He'd be a bargain financially, but you're comparing him to one of the richest (soon to be) players in baseball.

4) Has he been targeted by the Angels for years, or has the media jumped on a rumor that isn't true?

5) He said the same thing after last season as well, but, even if he really is working hard in the off-season, he's still coming back a year older, and, for the most part, two straight down years.

6) True, they wouldn't have to give up much, but I'm assuming the White Sox would not want to send any money to them so they would have to take on the $$$.

7) Agreed - two some extent. $12 million a season for 2 more years is still significant.

I can't imagine Konerko would bring back much in trade. Maybe some low-level prospects or another bad contract. I doubt Konerko would get $12M/year if he was on the market today, so why would a team give up anything of value to get him? You're dreaming if you think the Angels would give up Weaver for him.

Edited by bighurt574

We do know that the Angels offered about $3-5 million (total contract numbers) than what he eventually accepted from the White Sox, they were certainly interested in him, post 2005.

Moreno and the Angels have as much money as any organization to play with (although with a lot of his, Moreno's, personal worth tied in to advertising, I wonder if that will be pulled in eventually as well)...Gary Mathews, Jr., being a prime example.

I don't think money would be a consideration in a trade with the Angels, it would be 100% about Konerko's physical condition and the doctors' interpretations thereof.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
If we get younger and more athletic with Mr. Morales then this team will be really sexy to watch. The man has nothing to prove in the minors anymore and he is another Cuban who will fit right in. I'm honestly surprised that the Angels have soured on him so much. Give them either guy, then trade the other for all I care, let the youngins play. A first baseman who can probably steal 10+ bases himself... awesome.

EDIT: Not sure if this is true, Jas can probably chime in, but I heard he can play first base, third base and the outfield.

I'd say Morales is strictly a 1B and could potentially play Left field but aside from that you'd be pushing it.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
first off i the idea of an all cuban infield is pretty awesome lol,

secondly if we can get Morales and a decent spec sign me up.

That's what the Angels would probably offer. If they don't believe Morales will amount to much, trade him now when he's got value. Theother guy would probably be a AA/ AAA pitcher who'd be like in their 10-15 range of top prospects. Whether the sox or Angels would do this, who knows. The angels would still have to make more moves, like sign Brian Fuentes. But making a move for PK would help them for 2009, without hurting their long term. The angels would still need to add a lefty bat for the OF/ DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
So I guess Dunn, Bradley, Griffey, Jr., and Hermida would all be given some consideration...although it's VERY difficult for me to imagine a player like Dunn in that Angels' line-up, maybe he'd be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Griffey wouldn't be that bad of an option for them. He and Vlad can split time there and at DH. If they need a LH bat, it would probably be via some other trade, though. The angels need a few moves if they don't land Tex. 1b is one of the spots they can improve. Trading for Konerko wouldn't prevent them from adding elsewhere, such as getting a SP.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much new, except that the Angels appear to want Fuentes. Says the Angels won't go after Peavy, as the Padres demands for young pitching is too high; that the OF is set with Rivera re-signed. With few free agents at 1b, Konerko has to look decent to them, as 1b is one of the only spots for the Angels to upgrade. Not sure if there are other 1bmen out there available via trade for them to target. The Angels have to make some moves that would make them better [or get near to their 2008 team]. Even if they sign Fuentes, Krod and Texiera leaving makes them worse for 2009.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...story?track=rss

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
Not much new, except that the Angels appear to want Fuentes. Says the Angels won't go after Peavy, as the Padres demands for young pitching is too high; that the OF is set with Rivera re-signed. With few free agents at 1b, Konerko has to look decent to them, as 1b is one of the only spots for the Angels to upgrade. Not sure if there are other 1bmen out there available via trade for them to target. The Angels have to make some moves that would make them better [or get near to their 2008 team]. Even if they sign Fuentes, Krod and Texiera leaving makes them worse for 2009.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...story?track=rss

As I said in another thread, I think the chances of a Konerko to LAA trade are increasing by the day.

I see the Sox probably doing two or three things this offseason that they haven't done yet, from this list:

--Trade PK to LAA for Figgins and/or pitching

--Trade Dye, possibly to CIN, for pitching

--Sign Mark Kotsay to play CF

--Acquiring a relatively cheap pitcher with some question marks to compete for the rotation

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
As I said in another thread, I think the chances of a Konerko to LAA trade are increasing by the day.

I see the Sox probably doing two or three things this offseason that they haven't done yet, from this list:

--Trade PK to LAA for Figgins and/or pitching

--Trade Dye, possibly to CIN, for pitching

--Sign Mark Kotsay to play CF

--Acquiring a relatively cheap pitcher with some question marks to compete for the rotation

There would be a revolt. Kotsay is Erstad revisited. A good centerfielder several years ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
There would be a revolt. Kotsay is Erstad revisited. A good centerfielder several years ago.

Kotsay actually had decent numbers for Atlanta this season FWIW;

.289/.340/.418

Not saying he's a great option, but if he came cheap, I'd probably rather him than Owens if he could put up a line like that again.

Excellent plate discipline also (45K's in over 400 AB's).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
Kotsay actually had decent numbers for Atlanta this season FWIW;

.289/.340/.418

Not saying he's a great option, but if he came cheap, I'd probably rather him than Owens if he could put up a line like that again.

Excellent plate discipline also (45K's in over 400 AB's).

He also was brutal with Boston and doesn't play defense like he used to.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)

Erstad had missed games due to injuries, a lot of 3 of 4 seasons prior to going to the Sox. Kotsay has had those issues 2 seasons, but his numbers were still decent last year, and he's an OBP machine that Erstad isn't. But in any case, I am not saying its ideal - I am saying I think that's likely to happen.

And remember too, Dye came with that injury issue as well. KW likes those types of moves.

Erstad was similar, not the same.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)

Like I said, not ideal. Just seems like a KW type move.

And I think Kotsay, when healthy, is more what this team needs. He's also a better option than Owens or Taveras or Anderson IMO, and could be had for relatively cheap.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)

Small sample size to use with Boston. 84 AB's only.

All I'm saying is that, I would rather have him than Owens, because I just don't think Jerry can put up anything more than a .330 OBP, and even worse power than what Kotsay did.

All depends on the $$$ though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
Erstad had missed games due to injuries, a lot of 3 of 4 seasons prior to going to the Sox. Kotsay has had those issues 2 seasons, but his numbers were still decent last year, and he's an OBP machine that Erstad isn't. But in any case, I am not saying its ideal - I am saying I think that's likely to happen.

And remember too, Dye came with that injury issue as well. KW likes those types of moves.

Erstad was similar, not the same.

OBP machine? He's got a .337 career OBP and hasn't been able to match that the past 4 seasons.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
OBP machine? He's got a .337 career OBP and hasn't been able to match that the past 4 seasons.

That's what I was thinking. We need guys at 350-360+ OPB near the top of the order. Kotsay? No thanks. I'd rather gamble on Willy T.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)

Erstad's OBP the year prior to signing with the Sox was .279. Kotsay was .340 in ATL, .286 with BOS in very limited at bats there. And I was making a comparison, not saying Kotsay was some huge OBP guy.

I know you want to focus in on any specific thing that doesn't fit, but, look again at my main point here: Kotsay with Anderson as a backup plan > Anderson/Owens in CF for the Sox, as long as Kotsay can be had for fairly cheap. Its low risk for a possible high reward, and if he can't stay healthy or is truly done, then you are back where you were anyway.

One thing that does concern me though about Kotsay, aside from health, is the dropoff in SLG after 2006.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Erstad's OBP the year prior to signing with the Sox was .279. Kotsay was .340 in ATL, .286 with BOS in very limited at bats there. And I was making a comparison, not saying Kotsay was some huge OBP guy.

I know you want to focus in on any specific thing that doesn't fit, but, look again at my main point here: Kotsay with Anderson as a backup plan > Anderson/Owens in CF for the Sox, as long as Kotsay can be had for fairly cheap. Its low risk for a possible high reward, and if he can't stay healthy or is truly done, then you are back where you were anyway.

One thing that does concern me though about Kotsay, aside from health, is the dropoff in SLG after 2006.

.279 also was Kotsay's OBP with Oakland in 2007. He has back problems.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
.279 also was Kotsay's OBP with Oakland in 2007. He has back problems.

So, instead of finding numbers from a couple seasons back... how about you tell us what your opinion is on the topic?

Which is better of these two scenarios, in your opinion:

--Anderson/Owens in CF

--Kotsay in CF, with Anderson/Owens as plan B

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)

Sorry NSS, but you called him an OBP machine. We're rather vigilant here. :)

Anyway, I really hope Kenny is "thinking bigger". Kotsay would just be more crap that Ozzie might have a brief love fling with, thus keeping a younger player from emerging.

I have no confidence in Owens, and little in BA, but I'd rather see them get the chance vs. MK.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
Sorry NSS, but you called him an OBP machine. We're rather vigilant here. :)

Anyway, I really hope Kenny is "thinking bigger". Kotsay would just be more crap that Ozzie might have a brief love fling with, thus keeping a younger player from emerging.

I have no confidence in Owens, and little in BA, but I'd rather see them get the chance vs. MK.

I was comparing him to Kotsay, but I suppose the word "machine" wasn't the ideal choice.

I can see giving Anderson a shot. I just don't see BA being much of a major league hitter, thus my feeling that Kotsay would be a better choice, with Anderson as the fall-back. But ultimately, I'd rather see someone better than ANY of those three. And I can see KW making a Kotsay type move, but not a major trade/signing for a CF.