2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
Shane Victorino and Brandon Inge were selected as the final All-Stars by the fan vote.

So the 2B having the best year in the AL gets left at home...

Hooray for all-star voting.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
So the 2B having the best year in the AL gets left at home...

Hooray for all-star voting.

If you mean Aaron Hill, he'll be at the game.

If you mean Ian Kinsler, he wasn't having the best year, but should be in the game over Pedroia. Kinsler has fizzled since his red hot start.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
If you mean Aaron Hill, he'll be at the game.

If you mean Ian Kinsler, he wasn't having the best year, but should be in the game over Pedroia. Kinsler has fizzled since his red hot start.

You say that as if Aaron Hill is having that much better of a year than Kinsler.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
You say that as if Aaron Hill is having that much better of a year than Kinsler.

He really isn't.

Outside of Kinsler's power and slugging, he's been pretty bad this year.

Hill is having a career year. He's already had his breakout year.

So Kinsler being kind of bad almost equals Aaron Hill playing over his head.

I'd say Kinsler wins.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)

Um, he is. All their stats are pretty similar, but the nod goes to Hill because of the BA 40+ points better than Kinsler's. Plus, Kinsler plays half of his games in the bandbox called the ball park in Arlington. Hill plays half of his in the joke of a baseball field called Rogers Centre which isn't the greatest hitters park (I call it a joke because playing baseball on anything besides grass is a joke).

Long term, I'd take Kinsler as I think he's the better player with more upside, but this year, at least for the 1st half, the nod goes to Hill.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
Hill has a slightly higher OPS, same number of HR's, more RBI's, much higher batting average, and doesn't get to play in Arlington. Kinsler has more SB's.

It's a weak argument but Hill also has around 40 more AB's...Hill's having a career year yeah. But, give me Kinsler any day of the week.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
Hill has a slightly higher OPS, same number of HR's, more RBI's, much higher batting average, and doesn't get to play in Arlington. Kinsler has more SB's.

Hill's OPS+ is 2% better than Kinsler's. Not all that impressive.

Even with Kinsler's easy to hit in ballpark, Hill isn't much better than him offensively.

Hill may be having the slightly better year thus far, but Kinsler is clearly the better 2B in the long run.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
Um, he is. All their stats are pretty similar, but the nod goes to Hill because of the BA 40+ points better than Kinsler's. Plus, Kinsler plays half of his games in the bandbox called the ball park in Arlington. Hill plays half of his in the joke of a baseball field called Rogers Centre which isn't the greatest hitters park (I call it a joke because playing baseball on anything besides grass is a joke).

Long term, I'd take Kinsler as I think he's the better player with more upside, but this year, at least for the 1st half, the nod goes to Hill.

So just having a better BA makes a better year? Missed that memo.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)

All of his stats are slightly better, but considering the quite large lead he has regarding BA, it makes it pretty simple.

He also has a better OPS. But considering his OPS was only 9 points higher, I thought the fact his BA was 40 points higher would be the better determining factor.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)

Exactly.

Have you seen Hill's OBP?

Even though he's hitting around 40 points higher than Kinsler, his OBP is only 7 points higher than Kinsler's.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
All of his stats are slightly better, but considering the quite large lead he has regarding BA, it makes it pretty simple.

He also has a better OPS. But considering his OPS was only 9 points higher, I thought the fact his BA was 40 points higher would be the better determining factor.

If anything, his defense is the determining factor.

When the offense kind of evens out between the two, Hill is definitely the better player on defense.

But usually, Kinsler's a far superior offensive player.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
It's a weak argument but Hill also has around 40 more AB's...Hill's having a career year yeah. But, give me Kinsler any day of the week.

Have you ever looked at Hill's stats? The guy has done nothing but hit since coming up to the majors. Last year got derailed for him with injuries, but look at his 2007 season when he was 25. He hit .291 with 17 HR, 78 RBI, 47 Doubles, and an OPS slightly below .800, not bad for a 25 year old.

I won't argue that his homerun numbers are probably a result of just a career year, but there's no reason not to think he won't continue on being a .290+ hitter, with a ~.800 OPS, with around 20 homers and 80+ rbi a year. Plus, he doesn't have the luxury to play in the bandbox that Kinsler plays half of his games in.

I don't disagree with you about taking Kinsler over Hill long term, but Hill is a very good player in his own right, and this year, he's more deserving for the all star game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
If anything, his defense is the determining factor.

When the offense kind of evens out between the two, Hill is definitely the better player on defense.

But usually, Kinsler's a far superior offensive player.

Have you missed the time I already stated I'd take Kinsler long term?

But this argument was started about who was the best 2B in the AL this season, and so far, it's Hill.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
Have you missed the time I already stated I'd take Kinsler long term?

But this argument was started about who was the best 2B in the AL this season, and so far, it's Hill.

If you ask me, Hill hasn't been that much better than Kinsler offensively this season (the 2% difference in OPS+ tell you that).

It's the defense that splits them apart this season in terms of overall value and contribution.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
If you ask me, Hill hasn't been that much better than Kinsler offensively this season (the 2% difference in OPS+ tell you that).

It's the defense that splits them apart this season in terms of overall value and contribution.

I really don't care what each players OPS+ is. The fact is that odds are greater that Hill will get a hit instead of Kinsler, and Hill has a slight advantage in most categories. That's all I need to know, and it's pretty clear to me.

Defensive aside, who should be starting the all-star game at 2B for the AL if it was between Hill or Kinsler? Liks I already said, it's clear to me that Hill has earned it over Kinsler this season.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)

The ASG is supposed to be the best players from the current year. Your argument is basically the reason why guys like Hamilton get elected to the game. Give me Hamilton over _____ any day of the week (except for the time between opening day and today).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
The ASG is supposed to be the best players from the current year. Your argument is basically the reason why guys like Hamilton get elected to the game. Give me Hamilton over _____ any day of the week (except for the time between opening day and today).

Hamilton's a different case. He's a feel good story that the fans clinged onto. If Hill was having a much better year than Kinsler than he'd have my vote. But they're having similar years, where the only big difference is batting average.

I came across this on deadspin.com, it is a letter from Lenny Dykstra to his investors and clients regarding his recent filing for bankruptcy and his money issues.

Just the Facts (and a brief history lesson too)

By Lenny Dykstra

July 9, 2009

By now, many of you have read the news and begun to ask me about it. Since I feel you are like family to me, I will therefore hold nothing back. . . .

I have always prided myself on transparency - both in my personal life and in business. Although there will always be people who choose to spin information negatively, I do hope and believe that most of you will not be swayed solely by muckraking and sensationalized accounts. For those who are interested in the actual facts, I am happy to share.

Incidentally, I expect to be taping an interview for CNBC later this morning and welcome you to tune in for more.

The facts:

1. On July 7, 2009, in a move necessary to shield my property from a host of meritless claims, I filed a petition for Chapter 11 protection.

2. The action will provide me time to reorganize my estate and allow me some breathing room to challenge a multitude of meritless claims that have been made against me.

3. This will further allow me to pursue my lawful claims against a number of parties who have attempted to steal my property, breached material agreements with me or otherwise acted in bad faith or with the intention of causing me to suffer financial harm.

4. I expect to emerge from Chapter 11 protection and continue to achieve my business goals, free from the attacks of those who have attempted to extort me.

5. Aside from the re-launch of my investment newsletter, I will soon be able to resume publication of project which is very close to my heart - The Players Club: A magazine built "For the Players, by the Players."

I assure you that my personal financial maneuvers will in no way adversely affect the quality or continuance of this service. On the contrary, we are now moving full steam ahead on some major enhancements and updates. Within a week or so, you will already start to see the improvements!

You, my loyal subscribers, have stood behind me and realize that my record speaks for itself (111 and 0 with more victories on the way!).

Perhaps if I had invested in my own picks (I am barred from doing so legally), instead of entering into business with parties who sought to destroy me, things might be different for me today.

Regardless of my personal woes - the Chapter 11, the divorce proceedings which my wife sadly seems intent upon pursuing (emotionally, this is by far the most painful of my troubles) and issues regarding my home and the mortgage my lawyers consider to be fraudulent; I am nonetheless committed to serving you and helping YOU to make money.

Bottom line is that this is not about me, it's about YOU! I still stand behind you 100%.

For those who judge me harshly, they might consider if they have fairly examined the evidence before throwing the first stone. . . .

I know that those of you who are honest with yourself realize that no matter how successful we are at any particular point in our lives; it can all come crashing down in a heartbeat.

Of course we all fall down at times (clearly, me included!). Nonetheless, through God's grace and the mercy of the US Bankruptcy Code, thankfully, this is not a life sentence.

Just like when we analyze a solid "though as nails" stock and choose to buy in when it is down, I hope that you will similarly stand behind this "Nails"- your most humbled servant.

My investment strategy is designed to counter against the inevitable ups and downs in the market and leverage them for gain. Even stock in the greatest of companies can tumble. However, when this happens, the ride back to the top will be that much more rewarding. . . .

Although I am saddened and a bit embarrassed that I had no choice but to resort to this action, at least I am in good company. . . .

Two of our greatest presidents, Thomas Jefferson (filed several times) and Abraham Lincoln, were able to restructure their lives through bankruptcy and went on to do great things such as helping to establish the University of Virginia and abolishing slavery.

Ulysses S. Grant went bankrupt after leaving office when a partner in an investment-banking venture swindled him. (I can certainly identify with this one.)

William McKinley filed for protection while serving as Ohio's governor in 1893. He was in debt to the tune of $130,000 (an insurmountable sum in those days!) before some friends eventually helped to bail him out. Three years later, he occupied a desk in the Oval Office.

Other prominent men who made the list and later went on to huge successes:

- Mark Twain

- Donald Trump (2 timer)

- Henry Ford

- William Crapo Durant (founder of GM)

- Walt Disney (up to bat several times)

- Burt Reynolds

- H.J. Heinz

- Milton Hershey

- P.T. Barnum

- Lenny K. Dykstra (coming soon!)

When I look back and appreciate what incredible contributions these men made to our country and our freedom, I wonder if the quick-to-judge media outlets of today would have been wise enough to allow them the opportunity to rise again. . . .

Feel free to contact me any time, teammates. I'm here in the dugout watching out for you: Nails@NailsInvestments.com. As always, I welcome your questions and comments.

Remember: Life's a Journey, Enjoy the ride.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
Hamilton's a different case. He's a feel good story that the fans clinged onto. If Hill was having a much better year than Kinsler than he'd have my vote. But they're having similar years, where the only big difference is batting average.

But there is a difference, and it's supposed to be the guy having the better year that goes. Your argument is the reason why so many undeserving guys become all-stars each year. I'll put ____ into the ASG because he's normally better than ____, even though he statistically isn't this year.

Hill has the better numbers, no matter how marginal, he should be the all-star.

Edited by Milkman delivers