Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
You would have to hope so. I would hate to be in that division. Yikes

Schefter says their more likely to sign Jason Taylor, which is probably just as bad in the short-term with how successful the Pats have been with veteran players who appear to be a bit over the hill.

Being a Bears fan and STH as well as an Angelo supporter is just so tough sometimes. He goes into FA with needs at WR, FS, OG, OT, DE, and maybe even QB and gets an OG (Omiyale) who has started 1 game...ever, and Josh Bullocks at FS who has been apart of an awful Saints secondary.

He better come out of this draft a winner.

BTW- the Times reports that the Bears are holding a private workout with Phil Loadholt (RT, Oklahoma) and Hakeem Nicks (WR, North Carolina). NFL.com reports the Bears, Bucs, Chargers, and some other team are the 4 teams that like Herman Johnson (OG, LSU) the most.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Being a Bears fan and STH as well as an Angelo supporter is just so tough sometimes. He goes into FA with needs at WR, FS, OG, OT, DE, and maybe even QB and gets an OG (Omiyale) who has started 1 game...ever, and Josh Bullocks at FS who has been apart of an awful Saints secondary.

He better come out of this draft a winner.

BTW- the Times reports that the Bears are holding a private workout with Phil Loadholt (RT, Oklahoma) and Hakeem Nicks (WR, North Carolina). NFL.com reports the Bears, Bucs, Chargers, and some other team are the 4 teams that like Herman Johnson (OG, LSU) the most.

i'd be a happy man if the bears came out of draft day with hakeem nicks on the roster.

Earl Bennett couldn't learn the plays.

One of the biggest mysteries last season was the absence of rookie receiver Earl Bennett from the Bears' offensive package. The third-round draft pick from Vanderbilt offered a simple explanation.

"I struggled [learning] the plays last year," Bennett said Wednesday. "I was lethargic because of it. It probably took me until Week 6, Week 7 to pick them up.

"Toward the end, I started grasping the concepts. Once you put things aside and just play, you can play a lot faster."

If Bennett and Hester are our starting WR's next year... we better hope opposing DB's don't distract them with shiny objects and steal their lunch money.

earl is a moron. i took one of those 1 month may-term classes with him. The Mayterm is usually a joke, its just a way for the school to make a quick couple thousand bucks or two, and the classes are always really easy...its an easy A as long as you pay. They also fill those classes up with football players to help boost the GPA. The class was called "baseball in american life," and I will actually give Earl credit for participating in class discussion, but man is he really dumb

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Schefter says their more likely to sign Jason Taylor, which is probably just as bad in the short-term with how successful the Pats have been with veteran players who appear to be a bit over the hill.

That report about Peppers has to be total bulls***.. when I first heard it and they were like "The Panthers would rather have the Patriots second round pick rather than their first because they don't want to have to pay a lot of money" I was disgusted.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Bills open the season against the Pats on Monday Night Football.

TO signing is bad, AS IF ;)

In Buffalo or NE?

Bears open in Green Bay. I love this. They get no in-game practice with their new 3-4 defense and I think the Bears can exploit that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Bills open the season against the Pats on Monday Night Football.

TO signing is bad, AS IF ;)

I thought it was funny that he didn't even show up to their first team workouts, sure its voluntary, but still.

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 03:02 AM)
I thought it was funny that he didn't even show up to their first team workouts, sure its voluntary, but still.

I think it's kind of expected. Dude keeps himself in magnificent shape otherwise, so it's not a big deal. So long as he's in camp and ready to go, I'm not going to worry about anything else.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 03:47 AM)
I think it's kind of expected. Dude keeps himself in magnificent shape otherwise, so it's not a big deal. So long as he's in camp and ready to go, I'm not going to worry about anything else.

Pretty much this. It's why he still has his skills and ability intact. He'd probably be worse off going to team workouts. Now when it comes to actually minicamps, then call me. As long as he learns the plays and such, the Bills should be fine.

And yeah, what's up with Nate Davis not getting much love?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
So, because Tom Brady got his knee destroyed, now there is a rule against defenders on the ground tackling QBs low. I'd love to know how defenders are expected to take the QB down now? The Force?

Why do teams even have an offensive line? You can't f***ing hit the quarterback anywhere now.

How's that new saying that sounds old as s*** go? 'I understand you want to protect the quarterback, but COME ON."

Guys, how can this not be a surprise?

I heard they were talking about adding a new rule next season that Tom Brady isn't allowed to be sacked period.. you cant touch him at all.

There were also rumors about the Patriots getting 16 home games, take it for what its worth.

GMAFB first the tuck rule, then the defensive back contact rule, and now this rule? Could the NFL love Tom Brady and the Patriots any more openly than they already do?