Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's OK that TO isn't working out.

per roto, through the AP

Terrell Owens was absent for the start of Buffalo's conditioning program because he's in D.C. to receive an award for raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.

T.O., whose grandma has Alzheimer's, will get the Alzheimer's Association's first Young Champions Award on Wednesday. He's being honored along with senator Jay Rockefeller and French president Nicolas Sarkozy. Despite ESPN trying to make a big deal of it, Owens' absence was never a concern.

woohoo!

Bears agreed to terms with OT Kevin Shaffer on a three-year contract.

A 47-game starter for Cleveland from 2006-2008, Shaffer has been durable throughout his career and can play both tackle spots. His strength is in the run game, making Shaffer a good fit in Chicago. He will likely be penciled in at swing tackle behind LT Chris Williams and RT Frank Omiyale for now.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
He got a fairly big deal from Cleveland, then his play turns terrible and won't accept a pay cut. For 3 years, I'm not a fan of this signing. Browns fans say he was awful in pass blocking this past year.

Yeah, well, so was St. Clair...

I don't know why so many seem to think losing St. Clair will be a huge loss. He definitely played well above expectations, but he wasn't really that good. He was a nobody until he came to us. In fact, he was absolutely miserable with the Rams. I vividly remember our d-line dominating St Clair back in like 2003 or 2004 when he was 1st starting for the Rams.

I like the signing. It at least adds more depth than Cody Balogh. I was definitely a proponent of re-signing St. Clair, but since it didn't work out, I like this signing just as much.

Edited by dasox24

The Broncos are now saying they will try to trade Cutler. I'm sure the Bears are interested, but probably won't get him. I think others are better positioned to get him, and I'm sure if he goes somewhere in a deal Angelo can't match, Angelo will still get fired on by most of the faithful.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
The Broncos are now saying they will try to trade Cutler. I'm sure the Bears are interested, but probably won't get him. I think others are better positioned to get him, and I'm sure if he goes somewhere in a deal Angelo can't match, Angelo will still get fired on by most of the faithful.

They can gladly have Orton and our 1st.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)

Like I said in the other thread, it's a lose-lose situation. Either he gives up an unreasonable amount, or someone outbids him. Either way he's going to get flamed.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
I'm not his number 1 fan either, although at least he has a ring to prove that he has some semblance of a concept of how to do his job.

I'm not an Angelo apologist and I won't make excuses for him because he appears to be completely clueless about how to put together an O-line, but it's not like the guy had a complete track record of cluelessness. He's put together a decent resume. Sure, there's holes in it, but he has accomplished some things since he's been here.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
I'm not an Angelo apologist and I won't make excuses for him because he appears to be completely clueless about how to put together an O-line, but it's not like the guy had a complete track record of cluelessness. He's put together a decent resume. Sure, there's holes in it, but he has accomplished some things since he's been here.

He's had major busts (Okwo, Bazuin) but he's had good players (Forte, Hester), too. People act like the almighty Steelers have perfect draft after perfect draft, and they haven't. Just take 1 example, Willie Reid. Picked as a WR in the 3rd round out of FSU to the Steelers in 2006, and now isn't even on a team and hasn't been since late August.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)

That is true, but you are right that his resume is full of holes. The only team under his leadership to win any games in the postseason was the Super Bowl team, which was fortunate to survive an OT home game against a mediocre Seattle team, then to draw a soft dome team in New Orleans the next week. He has accomplished some things while here, but most guys are going to stumble onto some success if they hold a job long enough. And I know it's sketchy to call a team that went to the Super Bowl " a fluke", but I'm willing to use that word when you consider Jerry Angelo was the GM and Rex Grossman was the QB.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
He's had major busts but he's had good players, too. People act like the almighty Steelers have perfect draft after perfect draft, and they haven't. Just take 1 example, Willie Reid. Picked as a WR in the 3rd round out of FSU to the Steelers in 2006, and now isn't even on a team and hasn't been since late August.

Limas Sweed, Rashard Mendenhall (never been sold on him, maybe I'll be proven wrong but color me unimpressed before the injury)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:39 PM)
Limas Sweed, Rashard Mendenhall (never been sold on him, maybe I'll be proven wrong but color me unimpressed before the injury)

My issue with Angelo isn't his drafting as much as it is his general inability to identify offensive talent (with very few exceptions). He's known for his ability to identify defensive talent, but the defense is getting old now, had a dropoff last year, and to me is going to have an even bigger dropoff this year due to age, injury, and injury problems, unless they have a BIG draft.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
My issue with Angelo isn't his drafting as much as it is his general inability to identify offensive talent (with very few exceptions). He's known for his ability to identify defensive talent, but the defense is getting old now, had a dropoff last year, and to me is going to have an even bigger dropoff this year due to age, injury, and injury problems, unless they have a BIG draft.

The offense isn't really in that horrible of shape, get a league-average O-line and something resembling a serviceable WR corps to help Orton out and it could be "ok." It has Matt Forte, Greg Olsen, Desmond Clark, the other TE whose name I forget but I like, and if there is a bona fide WR to play alongside him, Devin Hester. He seems to be putting a lot of eggs in Chris Williams's basket though. Which, if his back is actually fine, could be fine, but he's pulling another Kenny Williams doing this.

Edited by lostfan