Wise might not make team

southsider2k5

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=cws

Wise not assured of Sox roster spot

Breakout '08 might not be enough to fend off outfield competition

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Dewayne Wise made the most of his time in left field in place of an injured Carlos Quentin, including a three-run homer in Game 1 of the 2008 AL Division Series. (AP)

CHICAGO -- The icy, below-zero cold and bone-chilling Chicago wind served as a rude welcome last weekend for Dewayne Wise, who had temporarily left behind the Charlotte warmth to attend his first SoxFest.

Fortunes didn't get much better for Wise when he was stuck in an elevator at the Palmer House Hilton on Friday afternoon, delaying his attendance by about 15 minutes at the group media session to start the festivities.

"We were just talking earlier how it wasn't a great start," said Wise with a resigned smile. "Hopefully, the season will be better."

At this same point one year ago, Wise was following the path traveled by far too many today during these economic conditions. He was looking for a job, any sort of job, to get him back into affiliated baseball.

If no offer came about, Wise was ready to play for the Somerset Patriots in New Jersey out of the independent Atlantic League. A past connection between Wise and Buddy Bell, the White Sox Minor League director, earned Wise an invitation to Minor League camp in March 2008, and by the time the playoffs rolled around seven months later, Wise was Chicago's starting left fielder in place of an injured Carlos Quentin.

It was the embodiment of living a baseball dream for Wise, punctuated by his three-run home run off of the Rays' James Shields to give the White Sox a brief lead in Game 1 of the American League Division Series. But for a player who has never had 200 plate appearances in a Major League season, although his professional career began back in 1997, that dream quickly fades to black and returns to reality in 2009.

Wise finished strong in 2008, but he has no guarantees of a roster spot entering the White Sox first Spring Training in Glendale, Ariz. It's a concept Wise understands, and a challenge he embraces.

"That's pretty much how it has been my whole career, especially since I became a six-year [Minor League] free agent," said Wise, who turns 31 on Feb. 24. "There always seems to be guys there, fighting for that same spot.

"Every year I go out with the attitude of continuing to play hard, competing and having fun. I've read a lot of stuff this offseason, and regardless of what the Internet or newspapers say, you just have to go out there and play, because I know these guys will give me a shot."

In actuality, Wise primarily has been written about as an afterthought across media reports assessing the White Sox open competition in center field for 2009. It's a bit of a disservice to the outfielder who hit .248, with six home runs, 18 RBIs and nine stolen bases over 57 games for the White Sox in 2008. Add in a game-winning, pinch-hit grand slam in Game 2 of a home doubleheader against Detroit on Sept. 14 and his five playoff RBIs in seven at-bats, and it becomes clear Wise also has the ability to come through in the clutch.

Simple roster examination, though, shows how Wise has a battle ahead to even break camp with the South Siders. Assuming Chicago takes 12 pitchers and doesn't add another outfielder through free agency or trade, that total leaves the team with 20 roster spots accounted for when factoring in the seven position-player starters other than center field.

Brian Anderson figures to make the team, with his defensive prowess in center either leaving him as a starter or putting him in a previously-executed reserve role. Anderson will be joined by a backup catcher and utility infielder Wilson Betemit, taking the roster number to 23.

Chris Getz, Brent Lillibridge and Jayson Nix figure to contend for the starting second base and utility infielder jobs, with Lillibridge's ability to play center potentially leaving manager Ozzie Guillen with the option of taking one less reserve outfielder. Factor in Dayan Viciedo most likely beginning the season with Triple-A Charlotte, and Jerry Owens and Wise are left competing for one roster spot.

Both Owens and Wise join Betemit and Nix in a precarious situation, being out of options, meaning the White Sox could lose them if they don't make the team. This competition could lead to a starting job in center, along with hitting leadoff atop the Sox potent lineup. Owens almost has been anointed as the clubhouse leader for the role, standing out as more of the prototypical leadoff man, but nobody involved in this center-field tussle is taking his job for granted.

"Of course not," Owens said. "We are on an even playing field going in, pretty much the same as last year. I'm looking forward to showing them I can be the guy."

One knock against the left-handed-hitting Wise is that he can't handle southpaws, finishing 2-for-14 against them in 2008, and holding a .179 career mark in 69 at-bats. But with a regular chance against lefty pitchers, Wise feels comfortable in his ability to succeed.

Some pundits look at Wise as a left-handed-hitting version of Pablo Ozuna, a talented super-sub, who contributes when his at-bats are managed. As an example, Wise batted .206 in September when he posted his most monthly at-bats at 63.

Don't count Guillen or general manager Ken Williams among those Wise detractors. Wise could emerge as that different sort of leadoff man or even a No. 2 hitter, providing speed and power, although not the classic high on-base percentage. If Wise wasn't in play for a job, there's a good chance he wouldn't have been enjoying Chicago's cold with close to 10,000 White Sox fans last weekend.

"Dewayne Wise came up last year and came up with some big hits for us," Williams said. "He's not going anywhere quietly."

"He is going to be given a legitimate shot to make the ballclub," Guillen said. "We didn't just sign him to say thank you for his help last year."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I don't think Wise makes the team this year. If he does, the other teams will have a strong scouting report on him and he'll be demoted quickly. He hit what .206 in Sept last season and the only reason he played was because our other option was hitting .175 or worse and was pouting about it...

Even if Wise slightly outhits BA this spring, BA and his elite defense make the team as that is what will win us games, not a few points more on the batting average.

AJ, armstrong

PK

Fields, betemit

Ramirez, lillibridge

getz

Quentin

Anderson, Owens

Dye

Thome

Lillibridge being able to play LF or CF will be big...if he can wise is out I think.

Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Colon, Richard/Marquez

Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink, Carasco, LHP (Richard or Poreda depending on who is starter)

It all depends on if we carry 11 or 12 pitchers. With a the question marks in the rotation we could go with 12, meaning Wise and Nix both won't make the team and the last spot will be a battle of russell vs. wasserman vs. jimenez (dont count out broadway either) etc. I think probably we will go with 11, and Nix vs. Wise will battle it out for the last spot...I'd like to see Nix make the team, I think he'll impress more than people think

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
i would love to see other people take wise's spot, but i would be shocked if he didnt make the team. ozzie has a love fest going on with him.

Why would you say he has a love fest? He played the guy when nobody else was around. If given the choice, I guarantee you he doesnt want a player of that caliber on his club no matter what his PC quotes are in the paper.

I can't believe all you guys pushing Wise to the curb like this. He only had some of our biggest hits last season when we needed someone to come through. I don't recall any of our players that are still on this team minus Thome's homer in the one game playoff having huge hits. It's funny how people all the time jump on and off the bandwagon with a player. Who can tell me down the stretch who had bigger hits than Wise?

Alexei's granny vs the Tigers is bigger than anything DeWayne Wise will ever do. Wise is a bad baseball player who got hot for a week (a week in which the Sox had a losing record) then finished the season with an absolutely horrible slump.

1-10 in the final 3 games (CLE, DET, MIN) and 0-for the big Twins series. 3-31 to finish the season.

He hit a grand slam in the 8th inning of a tied ballgame vs DET and a couple solo HRs in a blowout in Kansas City. THAT'S IT.

Baseball Reference has the top 5 plays for each game based on WPA (win percentage added). In the month of September DeWayne Wise's name appears twice: he had the #1 play in the second game of the Detroit double header in which he hit the granny and he had the #5 play (a bunt basehit that moved Cabrera to 2nd in the 4th inning) in the first game of the double header. His name makes no other appearance in a White Sox Septembe victory.

Talk about overstating a player's worth.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
Alexei's granny vs the Tigers is bigger than anything DeWayne Wise will ever do. Wise is a bad baseball player who got hot for a week (a week in which the Sox had a losing record) then finished the season with an absolutely horrible slump.

1-10 in the final 3 games (CLE, DET, MIN) and 0-for the big Twins series. 3-31 to finish the season.

He hit a grand slam in the 8th inning of a tied ballgame vs DET and a couple solo HRs in a blowout in Kansas City. THAT'S IT.

Baseball Reference has the top 5 plays for each game based on WPA (win percentage added). In the month of September DeWayne Wise's name appears twice: he had the #1 play in the second game of the Detroit double header in which he hit the granny and he had the #5 play (a bunt basehit that moved Cabrera to 2nd in the 4th inning) in the first game of the double header. His name makes no other appearance in a White Sox Septembe victory.

Talk about overstating a player's worth.

He did have the homer in game 1 against TB as well. But overall you're right, he's a career minor leaguer.

Owens>>>>Wise

It's funny to me how everyone slams Wise as a player who didnt do it consistently but got a couple lucky big hits late in the year.

Cant slam someone for a lack of consistency if they werent giving consistent playing time all year long.

On that note, he's one of the only players on the team who has shown an ability to grab a bat and PH.

So platoon him if you have nothing else proven already. It's happened before where a guy learns how to finally hit at 30. Pods in fact. If we have no real leadoff hitter, I'm curious to see what kind of year Wise can turn in. Owens and Lillibridge would have to be given opportunities with a great ST, but if they dont do that...Wise is the last guy who actually did something with his offense recently.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
He did have the homer in game 1 against TB as well. But overall you're right, he's a career minor leaguer.

Owens>>>>Wise

Pods was a career minor leaguer. It's not a death sentence at age 30, there are guys who just figure it out late. Not saying he is one, but with his first good statistical year as an older player, he at least has the earmarks of being that.

Owens is not so much younger and has been unable to string together more than a month of consistent MLB play. Wise has at least done something recently.

Lillibridge I would play out because of his ceiling, but not Owens.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
I can't believe all you guys pushing Wise to the curb like this. He only had some of our biggest hits last season when we needed someone to come through. I don't recall any of our players that are still on this team minus Thome's homer in the one game playoff having huge hits. It's funny how people all the time jump on and off the bandwagon with a player. Who can tell me down the stretch who had bigger hits than Wise?

I thought Wise did a pretty good job. I do think he is a better hitter than Owens. But, it sure seems I missed something. I wouldn't want him starting over Brian Anderson, but he should be battle Owens for sure

I don't mind Wise as a bench player, but anything more then that, eww.

I'm personally looking forward to spring training and if Kroger will show anything. Right now it seems like he has a bunch of talent but just needs to put it together. I'm intrigued by a possible Kroger/Anderson platoon in CF.