Roberto Alomar

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
That is shocking and yet like the steriod news, not so much. Athletes tend to sleep around and think they are invinicible, its gonna happen.

Supposedly, when Alomar spit in the umpire's face it was in response to the umpire making a comment about his sexuality. There have been rumors about Robby for years. Whether all this is true, I don't know. If he does have the disease, I pray for him. Just from reading the articles, it seems that if he knew he had the disease, she did as well. She seemed to have all his medical visits and info. Probably a money grab.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
Supposedly, when Alomar spit in the umpire's face it was in response to the umpire making a comment about his sexuality. There have been rumors about Robby for years. Whether all this is true, I don't know. If he does have the disease, I pray for him. Just from reading the articles, it seems that if he knew he had the disease, she did as well. She seemed to have all his medical visits and info. Probably a money grab.

The question will be what did he know, and when did he know it.

Well, it certainly would explain the deterioration in his physical skills at the end of his career.

Wonder if they will have to start doing mandatory HIV/AIDS testing before trades are completed now? That certainly would have been a possible criteria for rejecting the trade, not unlike (but certainly different) from Rocco Baldelli's health situation.

I wonder how (if at all) this will affect his HOF credentials...if it is proven he knowingly/intentionally gave AIDS to someone else? I mean, as if Alex Rodriguez didn't case enough problems..well, this is just totally weird, like the Michael Vick herpes thing.

In April 2005, Alomar told Dall he was suffering from erectile dysfunction and confided "he was raped by two Mexican men after playing a ballgame in New Mexico or a Southwestern state when he was 17," the suit says.

Edited by caulfield12

Something about this doesn't add up. If Alomar contracted HIV when he was 17, he more than likely would have passed away by now. Also, with the progression of symptoms like the woman was talking about, he likely would have passed away (the mass in the chest is usually the beginning of the end for AIDS patients). As DAllen said above, there's been questions about Alomar's sexuality before, and I hope he doesn't feel the need to cover it up by stating the story about being raped.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
Something about this doesn't add up. If Alomar contracted HIV when he was 17, he more than likely would have passed away by now. Also, with the progression of symptoms like the woman was talking about, he likely would have passed away (the mass in the chest is usually the beginning of the end for AIDS patients). As DAllen said above, there's been questions about Alomar's sexuality before, and I hope he doesn't feel the need to cover it up by stating the story about being raped.

?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
I would imagine within the circles there have been rumors that he's either bisexual or homosexual.

It was more that there was just something big going on behind the scenes with him. It's funny, as his dad is known as one of the biggest scum bags in baseball, while Sandy Jr. is one of the classiest individuals.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)

Not true, really. He makes tons of money and was in great shape, one would think he could get the best medications, etc. However, had he not known, he probably would be in trouble, though people can live with HIV for an extremely long time.

He was 17 what? 20 years ago? Magic's had it about that long. However, just because he was raped when he was 17 that doesn't even mean that's when he contracted the disease. He could have contracted it any year since then, since it seems he's not a fan of using protection.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
which caused her to have a fear of contracting AIDS, often referred to as AIDS phobia," the suit says.

thats funny. she is just out trying to get money from him

If I found out someone I was in a relationship with, lied about having Aids, I'd be trying to get money at the least. Actually I am surprised he is not facing criminal charges as well. But perhaps the burden of proof is different in the two cases. Much like OJ was not guilty in criminal court, but lost the civil court case.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Not true, really. He makes tons of money and was in great shape, one would think he could get the best medications, etc. However, had he not known, he probably would be in trouble, though people can live with HIV for an extremely long time.

He was 17 what? 20 years ago? Magic's had it about that long. However, just because he was raped when he was 17 that doesn't even mean that's when he contracted the disease. He could have contracted it any year since then, since it seems he's not a fan of using protection.

If he contracted that disease at age 17, that would mean he contracted it in 1985. The difference in treatment regimens available between someone who contracted it in 1985 and someone who contracted it in the early 90's is very, very large.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)

But the thing is that he supposedly didn't even know about it until 5 years or so ago. I can't believe the annual physicals that players go through wouldn't have turned up anything until the last 5-6 years. Part of Magic's ability to fight it off was the early diagnosis. Your final statement is exactly right..and that's what I was trying to get across. Wasn't he married to Mary Pierce? If this is all true, I'm just shocked we're hearing about it now and not a few years ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)

Of course, hasnt everyone seen the South Park episode with Magic Johnson? The real cure of AIDS is $$$$$$$.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
If he had HIV or AIDS since he was 17, it would have been almost impossible to keep it under the radar. Magic takes so much medication with his HIV and has bulked up considerably . Robby is just a little guy. I think there are a lot of holes in this woman's story.

You should probably calm down. All she said is that that's what he told her -- we don't even know what the context for everything is, just what some news reports are quoting, bits and snippets. I don't know if Robby had AIDS or if he kept it from her and had unprotected sex with her while lying -- if he did, though, he is going to fork over a lot of money, and he should. But then again, I'm inclined to believe her when she says what she says about their unprotected sex and AIDS, since I can't imagine a lawyer filing this if he didn't have AIDS and if there wasn't much truth to her claims. This is too weird to be made up.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
You should probably calm down. All she said is that that's what he told her -- we don't even know what the context for everything is, just what some news reports are quoting, bits and snippets. I don't know if Robby had AIDS or if he kept it from her and had unprotected sex with her while lying -- if he did, though, he is going to fork over a lot of money, and he should. But then again, I'm inclined to believe her when she says what she says about their unprotected sex and AIDS, since I can't imagine a lawyer filing this if he didn't have AIDS and if there wasn't much truth to her claims. This is too weird to be made up.

She doesn't have AIDS or HIV, and she knows his history pretty well. Unless he raped her, it takes 2 people to have unprotected sex. Seems to me, they broke up, the bank closed, and now she wants some cash. Maybe he does have AIDS, but getting it out to the public with a lawsuit like this isn't right IMO.

From foxsports.com

Her suit does not claim that he knew he had AIDS when they were having unprotected sex — but he had reason to think he might because his doctors kept advising him to be tested. He procrastinated and told her he was disease free, the suit says. In 2004, she said, she noticed he had cold sores. The following year he was diagnosed with a blood disorder that's linked to AIDS, the suit says.

Don't doctors tell just about anyone who have had unprotected sex to get tested? If a doctor tells you to get a test, you have reason to believe you have what you're being tested for? And if she knew the doctor told him to get the test, and believes that means there's a good chance he has the disease, why did she continue having unprotected sex with him?

She's also 31 and runs a massage spa and:

Dall, a mother of two who has run a massage spa in Queens, would not discuss the suit.

"I have no comment," she said outside her lavish home in Whitestone, Queens, after getting out of a black Cadillac Escalade.

A lavish home, an Escalade and just broke up with her multi-millionaire boyfriend in October. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

She claims they know he's had full blown AIDS for 3 years, but broke up in October, over 2.5 years after finding out, and now she is suing him? Why not earlier? If her suit has merit, I agree with you, he's scum and it should cost him. I just think all the arrows point to someone looking for a lot of easy money.

Edited by Dick Allen

But then again, I'm inclined to believe her when she says what she says about their unprotected sex and AIDS, since I can't imagine a lawyer filing this if he didn't have AIDS and if there wasn't much truth to her claims. This is too weird to be made up.

It could be just to push Alomar into settling, or they threatened if you dont settle we will allege a bunch of things.

There really is no duty for the attorney to make sure that the allegations his client says are true. His client says its true, he basis his complaint on her allegations. Now its up to the Defense to prove its not true.

This happens all the time, Company A says that when they agreed to something Company B said X, and sues Company B for not doing X. Company B says "We have no idea what you are talking about."