2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
A la William Ligue Jr and Son

What annoys me is that stuff like that happens just as often at Wrigley, if not more (remember the guy that got stopped just before he got to the pitcher's mound) but Sox fans are the ones with that reputation.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
What annoys me is that stuff like that happens just as often at Wrigley, if not more (remember the guy that got stopped just before he got to the pitcher's mound) but Sox fans are the ones with that reputation.

I agree wholeheartedly. The Sox problem was during the year that happened it was one after another.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
I thought that was kind of a contrived story about the racism.

It implied heavily that everybody knows Wrigley crowds are racist.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age fans at Wrigley would laugh and condone racist jokes by people sitting in their section.

I would think if the paper wanted a story on racism they probably should have spent a lot more time on it and polled players on many teams about playing in Wrigley and the Cell and asking them if they had any problems.

And also go in the stands and talk to some fans in both ballparks and get some off the record comments if fans didn't want to go on the record.

I am not a Cub fan, but I find it hard to believe that park is as racist as the article implied.

I think it was probably overdone a little, but last year the whole "Holy Cow" Fukudome shirt and headband thing was a little uncomfortable for me, especially once attention was brought to it and many of the fans just kind of thumbed their noses.

The Dodgers bullpen thing was crazy too and that's just glossed over all the time

Randy Myers

Chad Krueter

Bob Howry

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
watching the yankee game during the breaks - something weird is going on, BUNCH of empty seats behind home plate.

The Mets had to auction off the most expensive seats for their home opener because nobody was buying. The Yankees and Mets picked bad times to open billion dollar parks. Not that it'll really affect them.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Really, what's up with the Cardinals bullpen today? They have 5 solid relievers, but they're going with M. Boggs, who was terrible last season in the majors.

Seems like this is the one game where LaRussa isn't playing match ups. Doesn't help when your starter only goes 4.

Damn, Soriano wins it again for the Cubs. Just like he did against the Brewers last week.

I really wanted to see the Cubs lose this one because it would have put them on a 3-game losing streak (showing their arrogant-*ss fans they're not so invincible this year) but more importantly it also would have been the 2nd straight loss to their division-leading rivals. Ugh, now this just gives them momentum going into tomorrow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
Cardinals lose...they should be 11-1 this season. Too bad they didn't have any money to spend on their bullpen (Fuentes).

If I were a Cardinal fan, I would be very pissed about my team's ownership. New park, huge attendance -- and never real spending to put them over the top. Pujols? Sure. But they always have about 3 or 4 guys in their lineup who are spare parts. And their bullpen is a travesty, given their resources. Stupid.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
I know Ludwick's a power hitter, but how can he not be sacrificing with no outs and runners at 1st and 2nd?

Redo the math: 3-run homer, single, walk, double, triple> moving a runner over/failing to put down a bunt/popping it up.

Edited by Thunderbolt