2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
No, obvious for us on this board that it was KW's fault, for the avg fan they were booing Wise. You give people way too much credit.

They were booing Wise when he was leading off, but when he moved down in the order the boos stopped.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Are we really any better? Booing DeWayne Wise on just the 2nd day of the season was pretty pathetic.

For all I know his life wasnt threatened via mail, email, phone calls and racist remarks from the right field bleachers like the fans at Wrigley did to Jaque Jones, Milton Bradley, Dusty Baker, LaTroy Hawkins etc.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
LOL, Bradley is hilarious. He got booed yesterday for lack of hustle when he didnt run out a grounder and didnt try hard for a popup, and Lou had a talk with him today.

Totally reformed

and he's injured... again. Money well spent!!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
wow. I am REALLY getting tired of advertising.

Next up

"that ball was brought to you by..."

"That last strike is brought to you by..."

"The first baseman's nut scratch is sponsored by"

brought to you by Carl's Jr

I never understood why the Cub "fans" boo Dusty....he got them farther in the playoffs than Lou ever has or will. When he came on board, he was their savior. Would they boo Don Zimmer? What about Jim Frey?

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
I never understood why the Cub "fans" boo Dusty....he got them farther in the playoffs than Lou ever has or will. When he came on board, he was their savior. Would they boo Don Zimmer? What about Jim Frey?

I think it's because he is such a weird guy and has this aversion to developing young talent. He finds it much safer to go with older players than stick his neck out and try young guys.

I also think he is one of the most overrated coaches in MLB.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
I think it's because he is such a weird guy and has this aversion to developing young talent. He finds it much safer to go with older players than stick his neck out and try young guys.

Mark Prior says "look what he did for me!"

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
For all I know his life wasnt threatened via mail, email, phone calls and racist remarks from the right field bleachers like the fans at Wrigley did to Jaque Jones, Milton Bradley, Dusty Baker, LaTroy Hawkins etc.

Im sure there have been instances, every fanbase is going to have its fair share of creepers. Just remember everytime you knock cubby fans your knocking bulls/bears fans too which most of us on this board also cheer for.

Bradley says he needs more time off to recover from the Groin injury...and says that the media is trying to make him "Snap".

After playing one game at far less than full speed, Chicago Cubs outfielder Milton Bradley said Thursday he's not close to returning from a lingering groin injury.

"I want to say I am, but I'm not," Bradley told Cubs.com.

Bradley has not spoken to the media in at least a week. He spoke to Cubs.com because it is affiliated with the Cubs' organization, the Web site said.

Speaking of the fourth estate, the at-times-volatile Bradley accused Chicago's media of trying to make him "snap," a remark that comes on the heels of his ejection for arguing a called third strike during his April 16 pinch-hitting appearance, and the subsequent two-game suspension for making contact with umpire Larry Vanover.

"I'm just not into negativity," he said. "I can see already I'm going to be that guy that since nothing else is going on in here, 'We're going to harp on Bradley all year and see if we can get him to snap.' I'm not going to go for it. You can't get a good story if I don't talk to [the media]. You'll make something up, like you always do."

"If I talk to you, you're going to make something up, and if I don't talk to you, you're going to make something up. So just go ahead and make something up and leave me out of it."

Rather than serve the suspension while he recuperates, Bradley has appealed, telling manager Lou Piniella it's a matter of "principle." Bradley doesn't believe he made contact with Vanover and told Cubs.com that "they need a forensic scientist to find a frame that shows I touched him with the bill of my helmet."

Meanwhile, the Cubs might have to put Bradley on the 15-day disabled list this weekend if he doesn't show signs of being ready to play regularly.

"When he's 100 percent, I'll put him out there," Piniella said Thursday, one day after Bradley played right field for the first time in more than a week. "Until then, I'll use [Reed] Johnson and [Micah] Hoffpauir in the outfield."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Bradley says he needs more time off to recover from the Groin injury...and says that the media is trying to make him "Snap".

This is going to end up so awesome. It's only about 3 weeks into the season and it's starting to spiral.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bradlmi01.shtml

The one year he played over 126 games he was only slightly above average. Not to mention I don't think he's ever played in over 100 games in the field, and the Cubs signed him to a 3 year deal in the NL with no DH. For the same money and one less year they could of had Dunn. I know Dunn sucks in the field but he plays all the time and he could have fit nicely in the 2nd hole for this team with his OBP

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Marmol has a slight knee sprain. Piniella with a terrible managing decision, as he pitched to the #8 hitter with 2nd and 3rd, 1 out.

2nd and 3rd 1 out, makes sense to me. u need the k there

In that situation, you have to walk the 8th place hitter and dare the opposing manager to pinch-hit at that point in the game.

Is KFC going to change its name? KGC's will be very busy on Monday, like the Denny's promotion months back.

Ryan Sweeney with 632 OPS and Orlando Cabrera at 504. Don't think we'd be any better off with those two at the top of the line-up.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
It happened in today's game.

sorry, i thought u were still talking about yesterdays game. yea thats dumb. :) __yea, everyone wanted sweeney back bcuz he was doing great in ST. ST=meaningless