2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 4, 2009 -> 08:00 AM)
Zambrano has been placed on the 15-day DL.

I would love to see Zambrano out for an extended period of time and see the cubs really fall back in the race. It's too bad they didn't lose a few more games while Aramis Ramirez was out (he'll probably be back in the lineup tonight).

The Cubs are playing just well enough to keep close to St. Louis and if they start clicking like they can, they can take off and not look back. Remember in 2007 they started off badly and then around June 1st they got hot and remained hot the rest of the year.

So I guess they did underexagerate after all :lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
So I guess they did underexagerate after all :lolhitting

Why, cause they initially thought it was a cramp when they went out to check on him? They were pretty open on Sunday after the game about him going to get an MRI and that he'd probably go on the DL. BTW Lou, this is why you should never, ever let your pitcher PH in a game in which you don't have to. I know Zambrano had started this game, but he's been letting him PH numerous times. The risk is just too great.

I know Zambrano had started this game, but he's been letting him PH numerous times. The risk is just too great.

I agree and I WISH this injury had occurred during one of those PH appearances. Lou would have been massacred for that decision.

The Padres have lost 6 in a row and are already almost 8 games out of first. If they feel like they'll never compete with the Dodgers and want to start shedding salary, I wish they'd trade Peavy now before the Cubs' sale goes through. Once that happens, and if the Cubs have any pitching issues, well......we know what will be dominating the headlines.

Edited by JustWin

Yeah, Piniella is conceding this game so the Giants better not blow it. They need to score at least 3 more runs so Lou doesn't decide to put some of the regulars in to try to come back and win.

Scales, Hill, Marshall equal a 3-2 game now. That is the thing that is tiring to Sox fans I believe. You knew the line-up last night would do nothing and it didn't.

The cubs are fielding a terrible line-up and Lincecum is at 75 pitches at least through 5 and they will need to go to the pen in the 7th. Not that it mattered last night as Juan Cruz and Soria would've shut them down but this the frustrating thing. The cubs have a propensity of coming back after hanging around. The Sox have a propensity of sitting around and watching the other team win.

Geez, Marshall is just cruising after giving up all 3 runs on one pitch in the first inning. If the score stays this way once Lincecum is removed, there's almost no doubt the Cubs will come back and win. They've got that swagger back where they feel they can win any game.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 5, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Samardjia (sp?) could be one of the most overhyped players ever. I remember ESPN wetting themselves over that signing.

nothing about him suggests he is a good pitcher. I doubt he'll be anything more than a mediocre middle reliever, but HE PLAYED FOR NOTRE DAMEZ OMG

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 5, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Samardjia (sp?) could be one of the most overhyped players ever. I remember ESPN wetting themselves over that signing.

The kid has an arm, but much like Poreda, he needs his innings to develop his secondary pitches. It was stupid to bring him up to be a middle reliever. All it is doing is stunting his growth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
The kid has an arm, but much like Poreda, he needs his innings to develop his secondary pitches. It was stupid to bring him up to be a middle reliever. All it is doing is stunting his growth.
Don't the Cubs view him as a closer? I'm guessing they're fine with him developing at the major league level. Or they just have a bad bullpen.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:07 AM)
It would shock me if Samardizjajajjaa isn't playing in the NFL in 3 years. He has absolutely no feel for pitching.

I actually really agree with this. Soon he is going to realize his cash grab in the NFL will be much better than bouncing around the minor leagues

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:07 AM)
It would shock me if Samardizjajajjaa isn't playing in the NFL in 3 years. He has absolutely no feel for pitching.

I don't blame the kid for chasing the guaranteed money though. $10 mil guaranteed in baseball was better than what could have gotten in football (arguably, seeing as he was at best a late 1st rd pick). Using the 2008 NFL Draft (since I can't find the data for the 2006 one), he'd needed to be the 14th pick or higher to get that kind of guaranteed money. Assuming there's been some sort of inflation over the past couple years, I'd imagine he'd have to be very close to the top 10 in 2006 for that kind of money.

Furthermore, there's options for his 6th and 7th year in baseball that could make the contract worth nearly $18 million. Who knows if these are ever exercised, but he's got that as well.

Being a pitcher, I'm not sure the "well he'd get hurt easier in the NFL" argument holds up that well but I'd put that out there for discussion too. Football is a violent game, so he took the cash and the safety over taking a shot at a sport his talents may have been better suited for. Sounds like a smart decision to me.

Agree with you about his pitching though. The Cubs really f'ed this one up by rushing him.

I don't blame him for taking the baseball money at all either, when he opted what was his football projection, 2nd round or I believe at least later 1st round where the guaranteed money drops after the top 10 or 15.

I heard a mixed bag when the Cubs drafted him, a few outlets I remember saying it was way high too high. To me it had all the earmarks of a Cubs move, a Notre Dame name guy they can sell to their fans.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:35 AM)
I don't blame him for taking the baseball money at all either, when he opted what was his football projection, 2nd round or I believe at least later 1st round where the guaranteed money drops after the top 10 or 15.

I heard a mixed bag when the Cubs drafted him, a few outlets I remember saying it was way high too high. To me it had all the earmarks of a Cubs move, a Notre Dame name guy they can sell to their fans.

Was he even rated that highly of a baseball prospect? The whole thing seemed more of a PR thing at the time.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Was he even rated that highly of a baseball prospect? The whole thing seemed more of a PR thing at the time.

He was certainly projectable as he had very good velocity in college (96-98 I think). Anytime you throw that hard, you have to be considered a prospect...his secondary stuff was, and still is very raw.

The Cubs have treated this more like a PR move than anything. 1st, the signability thing is why he dropped so much and why such a big deal was made when he signed (as he could have gone to football). 2nd, to get an immediate return on him (since he's on a major league deal) and to appease their rabid, silly fanbase he was rushed.

It would have been wise to develop him into a starter and let him work on his secondary pitches in the minors. Worst case, it doesn't work and they use him as a power reliever. However, this is the Cubs we're talking about and they're notoriously bad at developing young players...