Konerko wouldn't block trade to help Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
If the White Sox eat nothing, unless its a team based in NY, I don't see Dye getting traded unless its the September 1 deadline.

If the Sox get a decent offer from say the Reds I'm sure they'd be willing to eat $2M+ to make him more palatable. There's really no reason not to especially if you're receiving league minimum players in return.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
It would be $5 million + $1 million buyout. Considering Abreu could only get $5 million for a full season, I really doubt teams would be willing to pay Dye that for half a season or less, unless its the Yankees. Even Boston is cutting back. I read John Henry has lost $60 % of his net worth the past several months.

This would be at the deadline though. There are no free agents to pit against each other. The only talent you have available is what teams are willing to trade you. If you are in the pennant race, it is harder to not make moves to improve your team, especially if you can get the guy who has hit the most HRs for a RF over the last 4 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
This would be at the deadline though. There are no free agents to pit against each other. The only talent you have available is what teams are willing to trade you. If you are in the pennant race, it is harder to not make moves to improve your team, especially if you can get the guy who has hit the most HRs for a RF over the last 4 years.

If you don't have the money now, chances are you won't have it in July. Unless the White Sox eat money, or the Yankees or Mets are desperate, the 3 old slow guys making 8 figures will be White Sox at least until Sept 1, with Konerko until Sept. 2010.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)

In the present climate, I'd expect big salary guys will go through waivers fairly easily because the bottom feeders will be escared to claim or block lest they get stuck with them. I think the 2009 trading season will be a month longer than usual and 'residual costs' such as buyouts and option language will play be bigger part in the decision to sell or not. Come August/September, teams will have a pretty good handle on how much revenue is coming in. This could result in some funny looking moves late in the season where players are seemingly given away for little in return just to stop the financial bleeding.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I would rather see this organization "get younger" by developing its own talent from the minors and not keep trading away talent. You build from within. Konerko, Dye and Thome, et al are veterans who can help teach and mentor young players. Let's not be so quick to want to trade them just because they make some money or are up for contract talks. AJP and Konerko and Buerhle and Dye and Thome are team leaders and you need that expereince to continue as a winning ball club. Plus whoever said 33 is old?

Yes, but we can acquire and develop even more talent if we trade those older players when they actually have some value.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
Yes, but we can acquire and develop even more talent if we trade those older players when they actually have some value.

Yes, but, how many people ditched all their stocks and sold their houses before the last two busts?

There's the sentimental attachment (which KW is certainly anything BUT) of course, but things shifted too quickly for many teams to know what even hit them.

How much would those 3 Yankees Free Agents get today on the market? Kyle Farnsworth? K-Rod? Fuentes? Carlos Lee will make $68 million the next four years, not to mention those deals for Soriano and Dempster that are looking more and more dubious. Or the contract for Kyle Lohse that was perfect timing for him. Fukudome? Rowand? Torii Hunter? Maybe we've been lucky sometimes (like the Garland deal for Erstad getting nixed by Disney), but KW has done a solid job managing, converting and re-energizing our roster IMO.

We'll probably never know the particulars of the Dye/Bailey trade, but I am sure KW would have pulled the trigger had it been on the table, especially knowing what we now do about the heightened importance of cheap/affordable players. Thome was never going to be easily tradeable. And if you trade Konerko after 2006 or let him walk after 2005, you would have been eaten alive by the fanbase for being cheap.

On the other hand, we have a number of players like Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd, Beckham, Viciedo, Poreda, Flowers, Josh Fields, Getz, Clayton Richard, Jord. Danks, Lillibridge and Shelby that will be exactly what we need in this type of economy.

Contreras and Konerko are the only two even remotely "questionable" contracts that KW has delivered, and I can certainly understand his logic and the reasoning behind each move, even with Contreras, who was simply a horse for two seasons and could be the Comeback Pitcher of the Year (or he could go down in a heap again).

Obviously KW made every possible effort to trade both Dye and Jenks, who were probably the two most desired commodities at the beginning of the off-season. Before that, I guess if you were a fortune teller, you could have traded Joe Crede after 2006...but Fields wasn't ready yet. You also have to have replacements in the minor leagues b4 you go and trade 3B in their primes that are still in their arbitration years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
It would be $5 million + $1 million buyout. Considering Abreu could only get $5 million for a full season, I really doubt teams would be willing to pay Dye that for half a season or less, unless its the Yankees. Even Boston is cutting back. I read John Henry has lost $60 % of his net worth the past several months.

Jesus, you're negative. I know that's a lot coming from me, but man.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
Yes, but, how many people ditched all their stocks and sold their houses before the last two busts?

There's the sentimental attachment (which KW is certainly anything BUT) of course, but things shifted too quickly for many teams to know what even hit them.

How much would those 3 Yankees Free Agents get today on the market? Kyle Farnsworth? K-Rod? Fuentes? Carlos Lee will make $68 million the next four years, not to mention those deals for Soriano and Dempster that are looking more and more dubious. Or the contract for Kyle Lohse that was perfect timing for him. Fukudome? Rowand? Torii Hunter? Maybe we've been lucky sometimes (like the Garland deal for Erstad getting nixed by Disney), but KW has done a solid job managing, converting and re-energizing our roster IMO.

We'll probably never know the particulars of the Dye/Bailey trade, but I am sure KW would have pulled the trigger had it been on the table, especially knowing what we now do about the heightened importance of cheap/affordable players. Thome was never going to be easily tradeable. And if you trade Konerko after 2006 or let him walk after 2005, you would have been eaten alive by the fanbase for being cheap.

On the other hand, we have a number of players like Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, Floyd, Beckham, Viciedo, Poreda, Flowers, Josh Fields, Getz, Clayton Richard, Jord. Danks, Lillibridge and Shelby that will be exactly what we need in this type of economy.

Contreras and Konerko are the only two even remotely "questionable" contracts that KW has delivered, and I can certainly understand his logic and the reasoning behind each move, even with Contreras, who was simply a horse for two seasons and could be the Comeback Pitcher of the Year (or he could go down in a heap again).

Obviously KW made every possible effort to trade both Dye and Jenks, who were probably the two most desired commodities at the beginning of the off-season. Before that, I guess if you were a fortune teller, you could have traded Joe Crede after 2006...but Fields wasn't ready yet. You also have to have replacements in the minor leagues b4 you go and trade 3B in their primes that are still in their arbitration years.

I always get a nice little chuckle when you do this. You list off a ton of people, and then abbreviate one name...or you just like half-abbreviate a name. It's great.

Thanks Milkman, lol. I always like to do the Jor. Danks to give you a rise.

It reminds me of when brothers are playing on college baseball or football teams and have similar names on the back of their jerseys to differentiate them.

I won't abbreviate Freida Pinto, though, in the movies thread. She deserves her full name for now, despite her C+ dress choice from John Galliano. Too bad she wasn't alive in the 70's, she could have gotten a nice promotional deal going with Ford. And good thing her name wasn't Gremlin or Pacer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
Thanks Milkman, lol. I always like to do the Jor. Danks to give you a rise.

It reminds me of when brothers are playing on college baseball or football teams and have similar names on the back of their jerseys to differentiate them.

I won't abbreviate Freida Pinto, though, in the movies thread. She deserves her full name for now, despite her C+ dress choice from John Galliano. Too bad she wasn't alive in the 70's, she could have gotten a nice promotional deal going with Ford. And good thing her name wasn't Gremlin or Pacer.

me and my twin brother had that in school. Je.(Jeremy) for me and Ju.(Justin) for him.