Two AZ teen girls accused of pimping

lostfan

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/25/teen.p...ref=mpstoryview

Tatiana Tye and a second 16-year-old girl, Jazmine Finley, were indicted earlier this week by a grand jury, Maricopa County, Arizona, prosecutors said in a statement. Although the girls are juveniles, prosecutors released their names and said they will be tried as adults.

Tye is charged with one count of child prostitution and three counts of pandering, or serving as a go-between or liaison for sexual purposes, prosecutors said.

Finley faces nine counts of child prostitution; two counts of receiving earnings of a prostitute; and one count of pandering. All the charges are felonies, prosecutors said.

The two were arrested last week after a five-month investigation, Phoenix police told reporters. Authorities believe Tye and Finley recruited at least five girls, ranging in age from 14 to 17, on the campuses of their high schools, police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill said in a Monday news briefing posted on the Web site of CNN affiliate KTVK.

"We have a situation of two girls, 16 years old, who are, in essence, pimps," Hill said. "And they ran their own brothel."

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Why is it that the law allows juveniles to be trialed as adults. Whats the point of having an age that distinguishes a juvenile from an adult if we are allowed to circumvent it.

For criminal law purposes, 16 is the age of majority in most states (certainly in New York and Arizona). The fact that the press calls them juveniles is meaningless. Remember that 16 is the age you can drop out of school and can work, etc. You can make decisions like an adult, you should be tried as an adult.

18 is only a significant age for the purpose of federal law, as far as I know.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
For criminal law purposes, 16 is the age of majority in most states (certainly in New York and Arizona). The fact that the press calls them juveniles is meaningless. Remember that 16 is the age you can drop out of school and can work, etc. You can make decisions like an adult, you should be tried as an adult.

18 is only a significant age for the purpose of federal law, as far as I know.

So if 16 year olds can make decisions like an adult and be tried as one, why can they not smoke, drink, or vote? It has also always bothered me that individuals can join the military and vote at 18, yet they are not seen fit to drink alcohol. I don't understand how someone can be trusted to vote in our country's leaders but yet they are not allowed to drink.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 12:57 AM)
So if 16 year olds can make decisions like an adult and be tried as one, why can they not smoke, drink, or vote? It has also always bothered me that individuals can join the military and vote at 18, yet they are not seen fit to drink alcohol. I don't understand how someone can be trusted to vote in our country's leaders but yet they are not allowed to drink.

The difference becomes the ages and stages. When an 18 year old votes, there is an assumption in this country that only qualified candidates are allowed on the ballot. What is the down sides to them making a mistake and voting for the "wrong candidate"? But if you think they should have to wait until 21, I would be interested in learning why.

If you also believe that military service should begin at 21, I guess I would be interested in hearing why. It seems that most 18 year olds have the capacity to serve, and serve well in the roles they are given.

Most 16 year olds know right from wrong and the consequences of their actions. When they commit a crime, they should receive an appropriate punishment. There should be some flexibility based on the unique facts of the particular case, for young adults who fall in the gray area of 15-18. If you believe that they should also be allowed to drink and vote, again, I do not see the parallels.

I can hear the howls of protest if a lawmaker said, since this age group can't drink, we are also taking away their right to vote and serve in the military.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
The difference becomes the ages and stages. When an 18 year old votes, there is an assumption in this country that only qualified candidates are allowed on the ballot. What is the down sides to them making a mistake and voting for the "wrong candidate"? But if you think they should have to wait until 21, I would be interested in learning why.

If you also believe that military service should begin at 21, I guess I would be interested in hearing why. It seems that most 18 year olds have the capacity to serve, and serve well in the roles they are given.

Most 16 year olds know right from wrong and the consequences of their actions. When they commit a crime, they should receive an appropriate punishment. There should be some flexibility based on the unique facts of the particular case, for young adults who fall in the gray area of 15-18. If you believe that they should also be allowed to drink and vote, again, I do not see the parallels.

I can hear the howls of protest if a lawmaker said, since this age group can't drink, we are also taking away their right to vote and serve in the military.

The only thing im going to say is, if at 18 your old enough to die for your country but not drink alcohol? To me that seems like quite an injustice in our society. At 18 most are either out of highschool or close to it also, so it would make sense that it be the legal age.... especially since college kids are going to drink anyways while at college.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
The only thing im going to say is, if at 18 your old enough to die for your country but not drink alcohol? To me that seems like quite an injustice in our society. At 18 most are either out of highschool or close to it also, so it would make sense that it be the legal age.... especially since college kids are going to drink anyways while at college.

What are the overlapping skills and concerns for military service and drinking? Look at military jobs for 18 year olds. Aim this rifle at this target and shoot. I know 13 year olds that can take down a deer. I don't want them drinking. Drive this truck and supplies to this location. I know 15 year olds with driver's licenses, I don't want then drinking.

When the drinking age was 18, too many 18-20 year olds were dying for drinking. The number of alcohol related deaths was higher in that age group than any other. It is interesting to suggest that because this law is broken so often, we'll just drop the law. It would pretty much eliminate speed limits in this country.

I don't see why we should also take away their right to vote and serve in the military. 18 year olds prove they could handle those responsibilites and did not cause a danger to themselves and others. If 20 year olds caused too many military deaths to their fellow soldiers, I imagine that would change as well.

Actually, I don't see why they would even be linked. A 30 year old can also die for his country, but not serve as President.

I am kind of shoked so many would take away voting rights from anyone who is not old enough to drink.

I dont think I suggested that anyone should lose their voting rights, that was just 1 poster making a point. Speeding limits are a little different because they apply to everyone no matter your age. So not really a fair comparison in my opinion. Maybe make an exception if you join the army/navy/etc you should be allowed to drink. Id assume that might even help bring in more recruits so it works.

I agree with you on the drinking age, however, I do think that 16 is too young to have a license. At 16 you can't make any legal decisions for yourself. You're not even liable if you got into an accident, they would sue the parents.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
I dont think I suggested that anyone should lose their voting rights, that was just 1 poster making a point. Speeding limits are a little different because they apply to everyone no matter your age. So not really a fair comparison in my opinion. Maybe make an exception if you join the army/navy/etc you should be allowed to drink. Id assume that might even help bring in more recruits so it works.

You have to be some kind of retarded to join the military to drink.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
What are the overlapping skills and concerns for military service and drinking? Look at military jobs for 18 year olds. Aim this rifle at this target and shoot. I know 13 year olds that can take down a deer. I don't want them drinking. Drive this truck and supplies to this location. I know 15 year olds with driver's licenses, I don't want then drinking.

When the drinking age was 18, too many 18-20 year olds were dying for drinking. The number of alcohol related deaths was higher in that age group than any other. It is interesting to suggest that because this law is broken so often, we'll just drop the law. It would pretty much eliminate speed limits in this country.

I don't see why we should also take away their right to vote and serve in the military. 18 year olds prove they could handle those responsibilites and did not cause a danger to themselves and others. If 20 year olds caused too many military deaths to their fellow soldiers, I imagine that would change as well.

Actually, I don't see why they would even be linked. A 30 year old can also die for his country, but not serve as President.

I am kind of shoked so many would take away voting rights from anyone who is not old enough to drink.

To me, it just seems odd that at 16 we are legally allowed to drive a 2-ton lump of metal on wheels up to 70 MPH. It would be quite easy to take a life if done irresponsibly.

At 18 we are legally allowed to purchase and own firearms. It would be quite easy to take a life if used irresponsibly.

But yet we have to wait until 21 because we might drink and drive and kill somebody. :huh

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 01:57 AM)

I would say that the laws are constantly evolving and remember that there was a time that at age 18 you were able to vote, drink, and smoke, and own weapons, etc. Then a lot of people died from drunk driving at age 18 so they raised the age because it was a hot button issue at the time. Just think about prohibition. That's how laws are made sometimes, and the result can be non-sensical.

For a bit of background I looked into the history of the law related to 16 year old being tried as adults.

Based upon a bit of research I did on NY's statute, the law appears to go back to the 1930's, which means 16 year olds were expected to be productive members of the family rather than degenerate high schoolers, but I don't know what the drinking and smoking laws were. There may not have been any, and, likely, they weren't really enforced. The law, however, was not meant to punish 16 year olds, but to protect 15 year olds and younger.

As a random bit of history, the Supreme Court declared in 1988 that execution of a person under 16 under and Oklahoma statute, which provided no minimum age, was cruel and unusual punishment.

Today, there is a ridiculous amount of violence resulting from teenagers, and I think people are plenty happy in the knowledge that they can be put away for a long time. Whether that's right or wrong is up to you.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
To me, it just seems odd that at 16 we are legally allowed to drive a 2-ton lump of metal on wheels up to 70 MPH. It would be quite easy to take a life if done irresponsibly.

At 18 we are legally allowed to purchase and own firearms. It would be quite easy to take a life if used irresponsibly.

But yet we have to wait until 21 because we might drink and drive and kill somebody. :huh

People are given opportunities, and this age group has succeeded in some, and failed at others. It would seem more odd to bundle all this and suggest there needs to be one age for everything. Then do you pick the youngest age that some of the people can handle everything, or the oldest age when the majority can handle everything?

Different laws and responsibilities for different ages.

Dude, back to the matter at hand, we had High School girls pimping out their friends. How cool is that. Hey Myron, I can get you some. What are you looking for?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)

I don't necessarily believe every right and punishment for adult should be pushed up to 21. I believe that all should be at the same age regardless if it is 18, 19, 20, or 21. Those who can be punished as an adult should also receive all the rights of an adult. If someone can join the military they should be able to drink. If someone can be charged as an adult, they should be able to vote. We have too many different ages that define adulthood. For example, if the set age was 19, I think all 19 year olds should be able to vote, drink, join the military, and be tried as adults. We shouldn't be able to say that someone should be trusted to act like an adult and give them the same privileges that other adults get to enjoy. While I don't usually see things as just black or white, this is one of the few cases I do. Either you are an adult or your not; rights, privileges, and punishments included.