Kroeger/Marquez Article

RockRaines

Ex-Chicago Cubs farmhand Josh Kroeger looking for fresh start with Chicago White Sox

He knocks in all four runs in Sox's victory over Cubs

March 6, 2009

LAS VEGAS — No matter where the Cubs and White Sox play — even in a so-called meaningless spring game in Sin City — a story line seems to emerge.

In Thursday's 4-3 White Sox victory, it was Josh Kroeger, who drove in all four Sox runs.

For those who've never heard of Kroeger, he was with the Cubs last spring training and then spent the summer at Triple-A Iowa, where he hit .307 with 38 doubles.

So did he enjoy getting revenge?

Related links

As starter, Aaron Heilman gives another strong effort for Chicago Cubs

Chicago Cubs spring training recap

Forget the odds, Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen likes chances in American League

Chicago White Sox recap

Cubs at spring training Photos

White Sox at spring training Photos

Hardball: White Sox updates from Glendale

Hardball: Cubs updates from Mesa "It doesn't matter who you're playing against, I want to do well," he said. "It makes it a little better knowing you're doing well against the guys you were with last year, but it's not really a big deal."

Kroeger, 26, has spent most of his career in the minors and became a free agent in the fall.

"I felt like I had a better opportunity elsewhere," he said.

The opportunity with the White Sox is as a backup first baseman-outfielder.

"I will keep him in consideration," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "The way he swings the bat, he has been very consistent. He can play first base or the outfield. I'd like to see him a little bit more, but I like what I see. You never know."

Part II: Sox starters have eight shutout innings against the Cubs this spring. That includes five by Jeff Marquez, three Thursday.

He wasn't gloating.

"You have to be happy with that," he said. "Big crowds, and so far I've felt real comfortable. I haven't been nervous or felt any pressure."

Lookin' good: Cubs newcomer Kevin Gregg, battling Carlos Marmol for the closer's role, has made an impression on manager Lou Piniella. Gregg pitched a scoreless inning Thursday.

"He is throwing the ball good," Piniella said. "I'll tell you what, he's a tough kid, he's a competitor. He has good stuff."

So is Piniella getting a better feel for the former Marlins closer?

"Yeah, I am, and it's a good feeling too," he said. "He's a little bit of a no-nonsense kind of guy. Serious-minded, and he's there for a purpose — to get the job done. He comes at you with a good fastball, split-fingered. Remember, this guy has had 60 saves in two years."

Odds are: Before the Dodgers re-signed Manny Ramirez, the Cubs were sports book favorites to win the National League, although the Yankees are heavy betting choices to capture the World Series. The Mets also are drawing big attention in the NL.

Odds of the Cubs taking it all after 101 years were 11-2 at the Bellagio and 6-1 at Hollywood Palace.

Extra innings: Attendance for the second of what was being billed as "2009 Big League Weekend" at Cashman Field — even though the games were played Wednesday and Thursday — was 11,174, just short of the night before. The largest crowd ever was in 1993, when 15,025 jammed in for the Cubs and Sox. … Chicagoan Jim Belushi sang for the seventh-inning stretch and, of course, root-root-rooted "for the Cubbies."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2221554.story

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WHITE SOX IN BRIEF: Top pick Beckham getting second look

Recommend (4) Comments

March 6, 2009

BY CHRIS DE LUCA cdeluca@suntimes.com

LAS VEGAS -- No need for a second take. That really is Gordon Beckham's name penciled in at second base for the White Sox' exhibition game today against Australia's World Baseball Classic team.

Does that mean we can add a new name to the position battle with the camp's biggest logjam?

RELATED STORIES

Wise more than happy to fly below the radar

Not so fast, says manager Ozzie Guillen, who insists his prized prospect remains a shortstop.

''Maybe you will see him play a couple of innings here and there at second base and third base, but that's because we are trying to get him some at-bats,'' Guillen said Thursday. ''But this kid is too young, too good to all of a sudden have him all over the place. This kid has too much talent to be a utility player. He's too good for that -- right now.''

The highly touted first-round pick (eighth overall) from last June's draft belted his second home run of spring training Thursday in a 5-4 split-squad loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers in Glendale, Ariz. Afterward, bench coach Joey Cora revealed that Beckham will be making some cameos around the infield.

''He's been impressive,'' Cora said. ''The kid is not afraid. He's playing good defense and swinging the bat like he belongs. He is opening eyes, that's for sure.''

Upon arriving at camp three weeks ago, Beckham was told he would be used exclusively at shortstop this spring and for whichever farm team he was sent to for the start of the regular season.

Beckham, 22, has indicated he is aware a position switch might be necessary once his time arrives to leap to the majors, especially with Alexei Ramirez considered the shortstop of the future, but he wasn't expecting a look at second base or third base in this camp.

Guillen said the plan still calls for Beckham to open the season in the minor leagues as a shortstop.

''That is the ideal scenario,'' Guillen said. ''He has only played pro ball one month. He has the tools to play in the big leagues, no question, but he needs to mature a little bit and kick some butt in the minor leagues, and we'll see what happens.''

Making an impression

Josh Kroeger -- a former Cubs farmhand who hit .306 with 15 homers and 67 RBI last season for their Class AAA Iowa team -- drove in all four of the Sox' runs in a 4-3 victory over the Cubs. He's hitting .444 and remains a serious candidate to break camp with the Sox.

''I will keep him in consideration,'' Guillen said. ''The way he swings the bat, he's been very consistent. He can play first base or the outfield. I like to see him a little bit more, but I like what I see.''

Making an adjustment

Closer Bobby Jenks made his second Cactus League outing and looked solid, though he was unhappy with his early mechanics.

''I was a little off mechanically, but I was able to fix it quickly,'' Jenks said. ''What I was able to accomplish today was being able to make the adjustment quickly after just one hitter.''

Contributing: Joe Cowley

We now see the first signs that Ozzie is at least pondering now about how Kroeger might make this team, and in what role.

That would be starting off as the back-up outfielder and back-up 1B to Konerko, along with Betemit.

Of course, all this hinges on the Owens/Anderson/Wise situation....and how they hold up over the next month. An injury or non-performance (or continued strong show by Kroeger) changes things, especially if Brian Anderson continues to struggle at the plate. Anderson has two things going for him, that he's the best defensive sub and he's right-handed. That's about it for now.

The problem for Kroeger is that Owens and Wise are also LH.

Still, if you look at what Quentin and Ramirez did last year at age 25/26, you start to also consider the possibilities with players like Kroeger, Van Benschoten (probably not this year), Getz, Floyd, Nix, Betemit, Lillibridge, Fields....then you have that second wave with Beckham, Flowers, Viciedo, Allen, Danks and Shelby, it's pretty inspiring in terms of some renewed hopes for the future. We're really becoming a much more youthful club over the next two seasons. One can easily imagine starting the 2011 (and possibly even 2010) without a single position player over age 30.

It would be nice to see Kroeger blossom simply because he's another LH bat with extra-base power, something we're lacking in our system, with the exception of Allen, and a likely offseason target for KW going into 2010 to replace Thome if Allen struggles this year. Kroeger will really have to continue to work on his patience and making contact, but he's still ONLY 26, so it's just as reasonable to call him a "prospect/suspect" as Anderson or Owens.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
We now see the first signs that Ozzie is at least pondering now about how Kroeger might make this team, and in what role.

That would be starting off as the back-up outfielder and back-up 1B to Konerko, along with Betemit.

Of course, all this hinges on the Owens/Anderson/Wise situation....and how they hold up over the next month. An injury or non-performance (or continued strong show by Kroeger) changes things, especially if Brian Anderson continues to struggle at the plate. Anderson has two things going for him, that he's the best defensive sub and he's right-handed. That's about it for now.

The problem for Kroeger is that Owens and Wise are also LH.

Still, if you look at what Quentin and Ramirez did last year at age 25/26, you start to also consider the possibilities with players like Kroeger, Van Benschoten (probably not this year), Getz, Floyd, Nix, Betemit, Lillibridge, Fields....then you have that second wave with Beckham, Flowers, Viciedo, Allen, Danks and Shelby, it's pretty inspiring in terms of some renewed hopes for the future. We're really becoming a much more youthful club over the next two seasons. One can easily imagine starting the 2011 (and possibly even 2010) without a single position player over age 30.

It would be nice to see Kroeger blossom simply because he's another LH bat with extra-base power, something we're lacking in our system, with the exception of Allen, and a likely offseason target for KW going into 2010 to replace Thome if Allen struggles this year. Kroeger will really have to continue to work on his patience and making contact, but he's still ONLY 26, so it's just as reasonable to call him a "prospect/suspect" as Anderson or Owens.

its starting to look like BA will be the odd man out. theyre going to go with owens bcuz of his speed and listening to the score in the morning, they said theres no way wise will get cut and the sox really like him and hes doing great right now

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
its starting to look like BA will be the odd man out. theyre going to go with owens bcuz of his speed and listening to the score in the morning, they said theres no way wise will get cut and the sox really like him and hes doing great right now

If BA is out, our defense is going to be horrendous. With no BA, Dye is the only above average defensive outfielder. Ozzie likes defense and the small things. I think he stays at least as a 4th outfielder.

Heres the thing I see about this spring. I really dont care about the results, I am really looking at which players I think have good mechanics, approach and the capabilities of being a major league player. So far this has eliminated a few players from my mind as legit major league ballplayers. Jerry Owens, Restovich, Myrow,Broussard and a few others just dont look like they have the swings to be solid every day players. Owens has an awful uppercut swing that isnt condusive to getting alot of hits in the majors. I honestly do not think the kid could break .250 over the course of a year.

On the flip side it looks to me like Kroeger, Beckham, Viciedo (for the most part), Getz, Nix and Fields are younger players that I see have some staying power. Kroeger's swing is pretty good IMO. He has a very level swing that is very quick with the wrists. It looks like he trusts his hands and has some minor league success in his past. Beckham is the real deal folks. Defensively I think he looks very good, better than Betemit who has been in the league already. Beck's approach at the plate is major league ready right now IMO. People arent going to like this, but i think if he continues to hit in the spring, he may force the hand of the management to put him on the team RIGHT NOW. Viciedo has power to all fields, thats about all i can say. he obviously needs some time in the minors, but may be pushing himself up a level by the end of the year and def in ST next season. Getz and Nix could be a platoon at 2b IMO, and both can hit, with Getz being a little more of a complete player. Fields has really changed his swing around a bit. Im not sure if he's finally healthy, or his vision is better, but he is adjusting better than I have ever seen him, and doesnt appear to have the slower, loading swing like in the past. I think he really produces this year.

Also on the pitching front, Marquez is pretty f-ing good people. Better than I thought he would be. I'd like him in AAA and be the first guy up when Fatolo gets hurt.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
If BA is out, our defense is going to be horrendous. With no BA, Dye is the only above average defensive outfielder. Ozzie likes defense and the small things. I think he stays at least as a 4th outfielder.

Dye is one of the worst defensive RF'ers in the game. Quentin is better in the field than Dye.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)

i agree but it just looks like owens will be the starter. and all 3 cant make the team. they were the ones saying wise isnt getting cut

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Heres the thing I see about this spring. I really dont care about the results, I am really looking at which players I think have good mechanics, approach and the capabilities of being a major league player. So far this has eliminated a few players from my mind as legit major league ballplayers. Jerry Owens, Restovich, Myrow,Broussard and a few others just dont look like they have the swings to be solid every day players. Owens has an awful uppercut swing that isnt condusive to getting alot of hits in the majors. I honestly do not think the kid could break .250 over the course of a year.

On the flip side it looks to me like Kroeger, Beckham, Viciedo (for the most part), Getz, Nix and Fields are younger players that I see have some staying power. Kroeger's swing is pretty good IMO. He has a very level swing that is very quick with the wrists. It looks like he trusts his hands and has some minor league success in his past. Beckham is the real deal folks. Defensively I think he looks very good, better than Betemit who has been in the league already. Beck's approach at the plate is major league ready right now IMO. People arent going to like this, but i think if he continues to hit in the spring, he may force the hand of the management to put him on the team RIGHT NOW. Viciedo has power to all fields, thats about all i can say. he obviously needs some time in the minors, but may be pushing himself up a level by the end of the year and def in ST next season. Getz and Nix could be a platoon at 2b IMO, and both can hit, with Getz being a little more of a complete player. Fields has really changed his swing around a bit. Im not sure if he's finally healthy, or his vision is better, but he is adjusting better than I have ever seen him, and doesnt appear to have the slower, loading swing like in the past. I think he really produces this year.

Also on the pitching front, Marquez is pretty f-ing good people. Better than I thought he would be. I'd like him in AAA and be the first guy up when Fatolo gets hurt.

i noticed that fields seems to be running pretty good too. beating out infield singles and barely being called out at 1st. hes not above avg but hes not a base clogger either like pk ,thome, etc

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
i noticed that fields seems to be running pretty good too. beating out infield singles and barely being called out at 1st. hes not above avg but hes not a base clogger either like pk ,thome, etc

I feel comfortable saying he is almost twice as fast as Crede was which helps the clogging of the middle of our order.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)

In Charlotte pre-injury in 06 Fields was 26/31 on stolen bases.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
I feel comfortable saying he is almost twice as fast as Crede was which helps the clogging of the middle of our order.

i aslo agree with u , about beckham being just about ml ready. i think he could do the job. id prefer for him to go to the minors though bcuz i worry that the same thing that happend to alex gordon will happen to him. gordon was a for sure thing and was rushed

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 07:54 AM)

Frankly, if BA doesn't pick it up he doesn't deserve to be in the big leagues to start the year. Ditto Owens.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
Frankly, if BA doesn't pick it up he doesn't deserve to be in the big leagues to start the year. Ditto Owens.

They are both proving that they may not belong on the Big League roster. BA at least can play D, neither can hit. And Jerry's swing is honestly awful. Its not condusive to hits to either field, its not a line drive swing, doesnt bring ground balls. Its terrible.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
They are both proving that they may not belong on the Big League roster. BA at least can play D, neither can hit. And Jerry's swing is honestly awful. Its not condusive to hits to either field, its not a line drive swing, doesnt bring ground balls. Its terrible.

then why dont they try to correct that? or is it too late; he is what he is ?

I know it is an incredible long shot, but I sort of hope that Owens and Anderson continue to stink in ST, and Kroeger actually gets a shot at the job (at least in a platoon).

And before anyone says it, I am not just saying this based on half of spring training season stats. From watching him a little, looking at this career numbers, reading scouting reports, and hearing from others who have seen him play... I really do think he could be a nice little find, and a potential starter.

There are lots of interesting possibilities. This discussion hasn't even taken Lillibridge into consideration...as the assumption is that 2B is now a battle between Getz and Nix.

If I had to pick the roster based on what we've seen so far, it would be Marquez and Richard to the bullpen...Corky Miller as back-up catcher....Getz and Nix starting in a platoon with Lillibridge, Kroeger and Wise fighting for the final two spots. Kroeger could be like Ross Gload, but with more power.

Of course, it all depends on going with six or seven (more likely if Contreras and Colon start the year in the rotation) relievers.

Maybe it's just me, but I am very tired of even talking about Anderson and Owens. BA definitely needs to play everyday at either the major or minor league level and we'll just have to see what happens. With Owens (I know he had a "good" game yesterday), I am willing to take my chances with Getz/Lillibridge and then Ramirez at the top of the order. It shouldn't be much worse than Cabrera/AJ. The final reason I'm souring on Owens is that he's not even really an effective basestealer...if not for that one hot stretch in 2007, his career statistical line would be atrocious.

Say no to Dwayne Wise! I know he is hitting well right now, but there is a reason he has been around for 10 years and never managed to stick with a club. Let BA be your defensive sub. Say no to Owens for that matter too, but that ain't gonna happen... Come to think of it, can we just get 3 new guys to battle it out.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
On Marquez, I haven't seen any of him so far this ST, but it sounds like his results have been promising thus far.

How's he looked so far?

its tough to say , bcuz its only been about 6 innings and against the cubs, but hes been impressive. i would have no problem with him being one of the starters. he makes the team, i think.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
its tough to say , bcuz its only been about 6 innings and against the cubs, but hes been impressive. i would have no problem with him being one of the starters. he makes the team, i think.

Why would you discount his innings because they are against the Cubs? They are one of the best offenses in baseball.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
On Marquez, I haven't seen any of him so far this ST, but it sounds like his results have been promising thus far.

How's he looked so far?

Nice downward movement on the ball, ability to move it around in the zone, and throwing lots of strikes.

The pitch that has surprised me is his curveball. It's got nice break and he's able to throw it in the lower half of the strikezone.

So far, so good. Let's hope he's able to keep it going.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)

Right now he's done almost exactly what he's needed to do, although he's given up a couple more flyballs than you'd hope for a sinkerball pitcher. If either Contreras or Colon aren't ready to go come April 10, he's on track to be the guy if nothing changes in the next 4 weeks, but things aren't exactly in his hands right now.