Lillibridge's future

Princess Dye

DJ just said on the radio that it's shaping up to be Lillibridge likely making the team as a utility guy.

I know he's not that young -- but being purely a ceiling guy (with little in the present).....shouldnt he be in the minors playing every day?

We may never really find out about him if he's up here sitting on the bench.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
DJ just said on the radio that it's shaping up to be Lillibridge likely making the team as a utility guy.

I know he's not that young -- but being purely a ceiling guy (with little in the present).....shouldnt he be in the minors playing every day?

We may never really find out about him if he's up here sitting on the bench.

He hit .220 in AAA with an OBP under .300 last year. KW wants someone from the Vazquez trade on the roster and he's already been praising Lillibridge since acquiring him. This isn't a case of a guy earning a spot on the team, just that everyone that is probably better than him isn't ready yet either so he will win by default. He can run, maybe he can steal bases, but chances are, most scouts believe, his peek is a decent utility guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
He hit .220 in AAA with an OBP under .300 last year. KW wants someone from the Vazquez trade on the roster and he's already been praising Lillibridge since acquiring him. This isn't a case of a guy earning a spot on the team, just that everyone that is probably better than him isn't ready yet either so he will win by default. He can run, maybe he can steal bases, but chances are, most scouts believe, his peek is a decent utility guy.

Ain't that the truth. He earned himself a one way ticket to Birmingham. You can find guys off the street who are better baseball players than Brent Lillibridge, he's been arguably the worst regular in the Cactus league this year.

MLB quality is diluted big time by the following:

1. Type of contracts: If you have a big league contract, you can suck big time. Most of the time, they are force to play to justift the money being paid.

2. The fear to expose a young player even though he may be 100 % better that an old and finished player or a mediocre player who will seat in the bench.

When I was in the refugee camps in Guantanamo Bay, I saw the big leagues for the first time. The year was 1994. I saw the big leagues was about performance first. If you performed, you were safe. The ones that did not performed were replaced by somebody else. I soon found out I was 100 % wrong. What a disappointment! I still can get over it.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
He hit .220 in AAA with an OBP under .300 last year.

And the year before that he hit .281 with a .345 OBP in AA/AAA.

And the year before that he hit .303 with a .417 OBP in A-ball.

So... maybe 2008 turns out to be just one bad year... not an indication of his talent.

But is that the "real" Nix though...? He only had about 15 at-bats, right?

I was actually favoring Nix over Getz at the start of camp, because of his defense, but Getz has been perhaps the most impressive player in camp (not counting Fields' offense) so far.

One thing Farmer and DJ mentioned about Getz. That he's really good going to his left, but not so good at balls up the middle. So he positions himself a little more towards 2B to protect that side and because he feels more confident getting that ball heading into RF than the does making the really athletic plays against his body on balls up the middle.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
And the year before that he hit .281 with a .345 OBP in AA/AAA.

And the year before that he hit .303 with a .417 OBP in A-ball.

So... maybe 2008 turns out to be just one bad year... not an indication of his talent.

There's a lot more guys who were good in A ball and AA ball that turned into nothing than guys who hit .220 in AAA that became real good major leaguers. If you want to put more on what a guy does as a 22 year old in A ball than on what he does as a 24 year old in AAA, I don't think you would have a long scouting career. The guy has been absolutely brutal this spring, offensively and defensively. They made it sound like he was in a battle for a roster spot. If BA played like BL has played, he would probably be released, same with several players. This guy has no business being on the opening day roster. Make him prove himself before he gets a shot.

Edited by Dick Allen

Lillibridge is just at the right place at the right time. He happens to be lucky that there are two LH OFer's fighting for just one spot and that he's one of the most versatile players on the roster in terms of where you can put him on the field and having some pinch-running opportunities.

That said, he hasn't shown a knack for stealing bases or playing even above average defense yet this spring. Those are two huge concerns, because nobody expected much out of him offensively.

If you look at all of our other players, Crede/Rowand and now Anderson/Fields have really had to wait their turns. I think the same thing will happen with Richard, Poreda and Marquez. I'm assuming they still take Richard, but I think he needs to show something his final times out or there will be some question marks. Clayton had been very good until today's shellacking.

In fact, the White Sox have had a hard time developing players because they're always in a "win now" mode and can't often wait or be patient with players like Borchard or Anderson. Perhaps time will tell us a mistake was made with BA if he goes on to success elsewhere, but I don't think Borchard was going to make in anywhere in baseball with all of his swing deficiencies.

From the looks of it, Lillibridge is going to be severely limited offensively...in other words, he's 2009's version of 2007 Andy Gonzalez, but we won't have to play him all the time, and the major difference is we have players like Betemit, Nix and Beckham so it's not like he is the only middle infielder we possess and there are no other options. If he can hit, Escobar might be the best of them all at SS, assuming Beckham ends up at second.

Of course, that all could change if they decide to move Alexei or make a trade. Jordan Danks is certainly not a guaranteed stud in CF at this point, and Shelby might be better suited for one of the corner spots than CF.

The main reason Lillibridge makes this team is simply to play SS instead of Betemit, to PR in late game situations and possibly as a CF back-up as well.

He would be the final player on the roster, unless you think of Miller/Lucy as that player, or MacDougal/Williams.

I wouldn't be entirely suprised to see them take Williams over Richard if Richard becomes unglued the final week or so of ST. I think the odds are definitely against Marquez making the roster at this point, too.

The interesting battle is with Broadway, MacDougal and Carrasco.

What is with the Lillibridge hate? Last year we seemed pretty thankful to be paying $4.5M/year for Uribe's defense as a backup. I for one am very happy that the Sox decided to go cheap with their bench and allocate funds elsewhere this year because I've wanted them to do that for a long time. Everyone but Betemit should be making the minimum. Lillibridge brings some D to the table and some speed, so what more is there to ask? You want a bat with that speed and defense? Well that's a starting-caliber player right there, not the type of player you just go out and grab for next to nothing. And, if Lillibridge were hitting right now, then everyone would want him in CF everyday. So make up your minds, do you want Betemit's ass booting everything at short when Alexei gets a day off or do you want the plays made in the field? Lay off the Lilli already. Accept him for what he is and accept bench players for what they are. This "worst hitter in the Cactus League" stuff is garbage. Yeah he K's a ton, but so the f*** what? He's going to sit his ass on the bench and may very well go down as soon as Nix is ready. There's no reason to rip either Brent or Corky unless they f*** up at their positions defensively. The only time they could hurt us is when Ozzie throws out those Little League Sunday lineups, but that's his fault and his fault only. Betemit at 3B, Wise in CF, Corky behind the plate, Lilli at SS/2B will be the worst 6-9 or 7-2 in baseball on that given day, but as Hawk will continually remind us all, Ozzie is not afraid to lose a baseball game.

The biggest areas of concern are with our starters, both in the rotation and as position players, and the health of our bullpen. I don't want Richard or Marquez anywhere near that rotation and I don't want Wise in CF on a regular basis. Why? Because they're not very good. I like Richard a lot as a reliever, but he needs to stay there. Marquez needs to prove he can pitch above Double A. I don't want to see Broadway ever again. It bugs me that Egbert doesn't seem to get any consideration here.

Well, the argument for the Sunday-Special line-ups is always going to be 2005.

Because the bench players got regular playing time that season (compared to many teams), players like Ozuna, Blum and Willie Harris were ready and able to make key contributions in the playoffs and World Series.

That all kept our regulars fresh and allowed them to get a "second" wind in the final weeks of the season, and carried right over into the playoffs.

Sometimes there is a method in Ozzie's madness. It worked last year, even though it's incredible looking back how it all played out and how just about everything possible went right for us the final five days of the season...and wrong for the Twins.

Lillibridge is supposed to be a plus defender, but he's been brutal this spring defensively as well. Maybe he's taking his poor ABs with him on to the field, but if he makes the team and KW ever talks about a spring training competition for jobs, I hope some reporter calls BS on it to his face. How,if there is some sort of competition for a roster space, can you play like Lillibridge has this spring and make the team?

Well, the only real competition that he had was Nix and Eider Torres, so obviously we have a lack of depth in this area. Josh Kroeger can make a legitimitate argument that he deserves that spot overall based on his play, but the problem there is he can't play CF or SS adequately, and he's looked very shaky (at best) at 1B, so that kind of nullifies one of the arguments for keeping him around. Not to mention the fact that Betemit is also better at 1B than Kroeger and has a track record of pounding RHP at the major league level the last couple of seasons.

OTOH we don't, as Beckham simply wasn't going to make this team to sit on the bench at any position. Basically, Lillibridge can be sacrificed to the bench, a real/legit prospect cannot.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 07:40 AM)
Josh Kroeger can make a legitimitate argument that he deserves that spot overall based on his play, but the problem there is he can't play CF or SS adequately, and he's looked very shaky (at best) at 1B, so that can of nullifies one of the arguments for keeping him around. Not to mention the fact that Betemit is also better at 1B than Kroeger and has a track record of pounding RHP at the major league level the last couple of seasons.

Just watching the game yesterday, it's fairly clear why Kroeger can't seem to make a roster: defense. He was terrible at 1B -he couldn't catch the ball. And everyone says he can't really play CF (I've never really seen it, but I believe it). His O isn't good enough for a corner spot.

It really would be nice if he could play CF - and it wouldn't have to be much to be as good as Owens or Wise.

To think there will be days when both Lillibridge and Corky Miller will be in the lineup with Lillibridge likely leading off, that'll be embarrassing. I don't expect Miller to get a hit this year and I fully expect Brent Lillibridge to strikeout in half his ABs.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
To think there will be days when both Lillibridge and Corky Miller will be in the lineup with Lillibridge likely leading off, that'll be embarrassing. I don't expect Miller to get a hit this year and I fully expect Brent Lillibridge to strikeout in half his ABs.

ugh, I don't think sunday games will even be worth watching. :(

I agree about the Lillibridge striking out in half his AB's, except I think it'll be more. *shudders*