New Roster Cuts

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
but... I will not root for someone on the Sox to suck. Sounds like you are more of a fan of the names on back of a jersey, instead of the logo on front.

There IS a time to root for specific members of the team to suck, and that time is Spring Training. Starting on April 6, I hope they're all Babe Ruth.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Gonzales also posted the 25-man roster: http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....sox-roster.html

So is the backup catcher decided? He is showing Miller.

Catchers

Pierzynski

Miller

Gonzales has said that for weeks, and yet, they are quoting Oz saying that the competition is still there for catcher. Not sure who to believe.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
I'm a BA fan, and this will be his first legitimate shot since 2006. Its all up to him. If he blows or gets hurt, I will move on. I'm going with BA to be the Quentin of 2009. He won't put up the numbers Quentin did last year, but I think BA will put up the numbers KW thought he would. .270 BA 25 homers.

Not if he only gets to bat against lefties because journeyman wise is the "clear" leadoff guy.

Hopefully wise will do so bad that they have to go with BA full time and give him a(nother) legitimate shot.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Not if he only gets to bat against lefties because journeyman wise is the "clear" leadoff guy.

Hopefully wise will do so bad that they have to go with BA full time and give him a(nother) legitimate shot.

History says that the chances of Wise suddenly being good are extremely small. So as long as Anderson does well, there is a high probability that he takes over the job full time.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Posting during class? Clyde won't be happy.

The next time I pay attention for the full 50 minutes in that class will be the first time. Besides, Owens getting cut takes priority over school haha.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
The article said that we will have Ramirez and Getz both playing second. Is this a new strategy? Fields range must be underestimated.

Very perplexing indeed. I wil have see study the rule book and se whether there is some little known 10th player allowed making the possibility of two at 2B very real

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
im very glad owens is gone, but this is horrible news.... the fact that we plan to give the most ABs in the lineup to a 31 year old who has a career .254 obp and is a bad defender is a f***ing joke

^^^ that, thank u. not much more to say,sums it up

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
im very glad owens is gone, but this is horrible news.... the fact that we plan to give the most ABs in the lineup to a 31 year old who has a career .254 obp and is a bad defender is a f***ing joke

Is it set in stone that Wise will be leading off?

I've been hoping for a while that Getz would win the 2B job and lead off, with Anderson in CF.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)

I've been hoping for a while that Getz would win the 2B job and lead off, with Anderson in CF.

If I may add my .02...I bet Wise or Anderson leads off on Opening Day (depending on who the Sox are facing) and Getz will be down in the order...but it won't be for long.

i dont think its set in stone, and the only thing we have is what the article previously posted said...i agree with you though...i hope Anderson plays CF hitting 9th with Getz and Ramirez the 1-2 (maybe fields at 2 if he carries his spring over)

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
I hope wise hits .330 and is a 20/20 player.

Will it happen? NO

but... I will not root for someone on the Sox to suck. Sounds like you are more of a fan of the names on back of a jersey, instead of the logo on front.

Well said .

Cowley via Twitter just said it's official. No platoon either. I wouldn't be surprised if Alexei hits two now to go L/R. But that would be two horrible OPB players 1-2. Just very questionable to give Wise the leadoff when Getz looks better there. Hopefully it works out.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Having Dewayne Wise lead off may be an ok move for a while, but it won't last. They'll either make a trade, or Getz will move his way into that spot.

This^

I think Ozzie wants Getz to get comfortable before he moves him up. Wise will be an adequate staple for a month.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Well said .

To an extent, I am going to have to disagree with you guys.

I think many people "follow" a certain team, and even pull for them to win... but they are not fans.

Fans is short for Fantatics.

I follow the White Sox, attend 10+ games a year, I even root for the White Sox, but I am not a fanatic. I enjoy the watching and talking about baseball.

I do not have any autographs, I do not wear player's jerseys etc.

If I think KW/Ozzie/Whomever makes a bad move and inserts a player into the lineup, I will root for them to fail. I will be pleasently surprised if they succeed, but I will feel vindicated when it is June and Wise's OBP is sub 300.

Back to your regularly scheduled roster cuts discussion :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
dweezy has flashed a pretty good arm this spring. He's not BA, but that's a good thing when he's got a bat in his hand.

His stats and peripherals look similar to BA's actually. Except without the ceiling.