Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
Not really a big fan of our draft, figured since we traded so far down would gamble and take best talent available and doesnt seem the Bears went that route.

from walter football http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009chi.php

[/size]

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

68. Jarron Gilbert, DT, San Jose State

You can never go wrong adding defensive line depth, and the Bears couldn't get to the quarterback last year. Jarron Gilbert is incredible value here. (Pick Grade: A)

99. Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma

Juaquin Iglesias was a projected second-round prospect, so you have to love this from a value standpoint. Juaquin Iglesias also fills a big need. Outstanding selection. (Pick Grade: A)

105. Henry Melton, DE, Texas

Henry Melton wasn't productive at Texas, but he has great measurables. The Bears needed to find someone to get to the quarterback, and it never hurts to have great defensive line depth. (Pick Grade: A)

119. D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt

D.J. Moore was a second-round prospect going into the 2009 NFL Draft, so the Bears got unbelievable value at No. 119. They needed a corner because Nathan Vasher struggled in 2008. (Pick Grade: A)

140. Johnny Knox, WR, Abilene Christian

The Bears once again are proving why they're competitve every year. This is yet another solid pick. (Pick Grade: B)

154. Marcus Freeman, OLB, Ohio State

A possible third-round prospect, the Bears are pretty fortunate to get Marcus Freeman in the middle of Round 5. They needed a linebacker, so this is yet another great choice by Jerry Angelo. (Pick Grade: A)

190. Al Afalava, FS, Oregon State

The Bears finally address the free safety position. This pick makes sense in terms of need and draft value. (Pick Grade: B)

Edited by rangercal

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
I don't understand how two low round DEs help our horrible secondary.

They should have drafted more DBs.

Better DEs = Better Pass Rush= More Pressure= less time for the QB to make decisions= Less pressure on the secondary

That on top of giving Marinelli weapons is why I would highly disagree with you.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Do the Bears go with Jennings with their last pick?

I would like that a lot, actually. Let him compete with Wolfe/Peterson for a spot and let the best man win. If he's better, give him the spot.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
I would like that a lot, actually. Let him compete with Wolfe/Peterson for a spot and let the best man win. If he's better, give him the spot.

Guess not... Just went to Jacksonville

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
Better DEs = Better Pass Rush= More Pressure= less time for the QB to make decisions= Less pressure on the secondary

That on top of giving Marinelli weapons is why I would highly disagree with you.

You can save your disagreeing with me for when our secondary gets burned game after game by Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Calvin Johnson, Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin, TJ Houshmanzedeh, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Roddy White, Chad Ochocinco, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree etc.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
I dont know, I was just hoping for like Duke Robinson and Javon Ringer in the 5th and woulda liked Brandon Tate or Michael Johnson with that first 3rd rounder.

Wow. Ringer's still out there?

He's a beast.

Ah damn. Went to Tennessee.

Seriously, why did we go with Louis and Kinder when guys like Canfield and Cadogen were there? Both guys were projected to go anywhere from the 2nd-4th, but were there in the 7th.

I understand we upgraded significantly via FA on the OL, but when guys like these 2 are there, you take them.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Both guys were projected to go anywhere from the 2nd-4th, but were there in the 7th.

And they didn't just fall to the 7th for no reason.

I like what I read about Lewis.

I actually love all the picks JA made.

I wanted Robiskie but when he was gone, I think Iglesias was the next best choice.

Jarron Gilbert and Melton are both great athletes and we brought Maranelli in here to improve our D-line. It makes total sense to me to give your best position coach some players he can develop.

I wanted to see a Safety taken, I like D.J. Moore... but I think it might be time to give Mike Brown a call and see if they can make amends. I mean seriously, he's the best option we have at Safety at this point...

I give Jerry Angelo high marks for his draft, I have a weird feeling that we might find some gems.

Oh and how about bringing in Graham Harrell and letting him compete for the 3rd QB position? I thought he would have been drafted, sucks because I loved watching him at Tech.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
You can save your disagreeing with me for when our secondary gets burned game after game by Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Calvin Johnson, Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin, TJ Houshmanzedeh, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Roddy White, Chad Ochocinco, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree etc.

your logic is like having the best WR without a decent QB getting him the ball.

It all starts at the line. Defensive line pressure > Secondary

You can make it with a s***ty secondary if the qb has no time to throw, on the contrary, you can have an all pro secondary get burned if you have no pressure up front with the qb having 5-15 secs to throw a pass.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
your logic is like having the best WR without a decent QB getting him the ball.

It all starts at the line. Defensive line pressure > Secondary

You can make it with a s***ty secondary if the qb has no time to throw, on the contrary, you can have an all pro secondary get burned if you have no pressure up front with the qb having 5-15 secs to throw a pass.

Tell that to the Panthers when they played in the Super Bowl. The screen and other quick hitting plays counter your theory. Teams don't sit in the pocket for more than 3 seconds , and if they do that's because the secondary has done a great job in covering. Yes a good D-line helps but saying its better than a good secondary is preposterous.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
Tell that to the Panthers when they played in the Super Bowl. The screen and other quick hitting plays counter your theory. Teams don't sit in the pocket for more than 3 seconds , and if they do that's because the secondary has done a great job in covering. Yes a good D-line helps but saying its better than a good secondary is preposterous.

what does screen plays have to do with the secondary? Talk about taking a left hand turn on this road of conversation.

Ask Tom Brady and the 07 Pats what defensive line pressure does to your game.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)

On the other hand though, I look at the Giants in the Super Bowl up against one of the best offenses in history. Their secondary and even their linebackers weren't exactly legendary, but the thing on that team everyone learned to fear was the strength of their D-Line.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
On the other hand though, I look at the Giants in the Super Bowl up against one of the best offenses in history. Their secondary and even their linebackers weren't exactly legendary, but the thing on that team everyone learned to fear was the strength of their D-Line.

completely agree... i think it works both ways. A great core of DB's can create a sack for a DLine or the D-line can make a Secondary's life easier. However, I think the D-Line's impact from play to play is more significant and can make the DB's better more than the DBs can make the Dline better.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
what does screen plays have to do with the secondary? Talk about taking a left hand turn on this road of conversation.

Ask Tom Brady and the 07 Pats what defensive line pressure does to your game.

1 game makes you point correct? Might as well ask Dan Marino in 85' when he torched the infamous Bears pass rush to a crisp and capatalized on their secondary not being able to stay with the route runners. The Giants secondary played a hell of a super bowl as well. If you watched closely, the Giants took advantage of a poor technique guard , the Patriots coaches lost that game not correcting that problem. I would say the Panther D-line was far superior than the Giants line of 07'. It all comes down to schemes and execution. Reason why more teams are running the 3-4 now do to the confusion the outside rushers cause, them being linebackers. But saying a D line is better than a good secondary is still preposterous.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
1 game makes you point correct? The Giants secondary played a hell of a game as well. If you watched closely, the Giants took advantage of a poor technique guard , the Patriots coaches lost that game not correcting that problem. I would say the Panther D-line was far superior than the Giants line of 07'. It all comes down to schemes and execution. Reason why more teams are running the 3-4 now do to the confusion the outside rushers cause, them being linebackers. But saying a D line is better than a good secondary is still preposterous.

How ironic you say that when you just tried to make your point based on 1 game. :lolhitting

I stand by my statement. It all starts at the line.

Edited by rangercal