Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL is going to be in for a huge lawsuit if they try and change the rules and then retroactively apply them to Cowboy stadium.

From what ive heard the scoreboard can be moved (it has to be moved for some upcoming concert) but Jones likes its location. If its the same for both teams, it really doesnt matter to me, and if the rules were 85 ft he did follow them and gave it an extra 5 ft.

It's just plain unintelligent to bash Roethlisberger. Watch him play. His line sucks s***, but he is still somehow really hard to tackle. His running backs aren't much to brag about. He is basically the entire Steelers offense, that is a 5-11 team without him.

I really hate Rivers, but... yes, the guy is a legit top 5 QB in this league.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
How? People are arguing Pennington because once upon a time ago he had a good season. Chad Pennington sucks and has a noodle arm.

Pennington is an active player who once had 1 unbelievable season, same with Rivers. In Pennington's case he showed he was playing over his head. If Rivers does it again, he will have 2 unbelievable seasons and I will call him a top 3 QB. I'm not calling Rivers a fluke either, I'm in happy medium land, sitting back and waiting to see what he does this year.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
NFL is going to be in for a huge lawsuit if they try and change the rules and then retroactively apply them to Cowboy stadium.

From what ive heard the scoreboard can be moved (it has to be moved for some upcoming concert) but Jones likes its location. If its the same for both teams, it really doesnt matter to me, and if the rules were 85 ft he did follow them and gave it an extra 5 ft.

I have to find an actual source on this, but I podcast I listen to said that apparently other stadiums have wanted to put screens at around 85-90 ft, but they brought in punters to see how high they could kick it and found out that 90ft is not nearly enough, so they put the screens up higher.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)

If you're a QB with a cannon for an arm, and you drop back and see that no one's open, or you flush out of the pocket and you're facing a sack, you think you can hit that? It's a free play if you do.

Cowboys had their punter test it out as well.

The problem for the NFL is the rules are the rules, and if they felt that 85 feet was to low they could have at any time amended their rules prior to the Cowboys building their stadium.

If I was the Cowboys and the NFL changed the rule and wanted me to move the scoreboard, Id fight them and at worst say that they should have to pay all the costs associated with the move.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
I have to find an actual source on this, but I podcast I listen to said that apparently other stadiums have wanted to put screens at around 85-90 ft, but they brought in punters to see how high they could kick it and found out that 90ft is not nearly enough, so they put the screens up higher.
Here's an official source for you. The Colts were the team that did that test.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)

I already remember reading they were raising 25 feet for a concert.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Pennington is an active player who once had 1 unbelievable season, same with Rivers. In Pennington's case he showed he was playing over his head. If Rivers does it again, he will have 2 unbelievable seasons and I will call him a top 3 QB. I'm not calling Rivers a fluke either, I'm in happy medium land, sitting back and waiting to see what he does this year.

Rivers is in that same area as Cutler though.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
With that logic lets crown Eli as the best in the league , because he did not almost beat an undefeated team, he did.

On a bum knee?

Rivers has put up the numbers, he's won in the playoffs, and a lot of the times he did it, essentially, alone. Eli Manning, in the Super Bowl, had a great rotation of running backs, had a guy in Plaxico Burress who was an absolute dominating factor, got lucky because a guy who has since converted to a defensive back made the best catch in the history of the NFL playoffs, and had a defense that had finally figured out how to get to Tom Brady. Eli Manning had a hell of a lot more going for him than Phillip Rivers.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
do it for more than 1 season is the point. It was a fluke for CP. Even without his injury, I doubted he would ever top 100. Philip Rivers probably can and will top 100, when he does I'll give him his props as a top 3 guy. No way he is in the same category as Peyton,Brady and Brees.

Its funny you should mention that because Brady and Brees also only have one career 100+ rating season.. but please, continue trying to justify your point to apply only to Rivers.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
Its funny you should mention that because Brady and Brees also only have one career 100+ rating season.. but please, continue trying to justify your point to apply only to Rivers.

Please find my quote where I say 100 is the line. Tom Brady and Drew Brees have more impressive seasons than Phillip Rivers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
On a bum knee?

Rivers has put up the numbers, he's won in the playoffs, and a lot of the times he did it, essentially, alone. Eli Manning, in the Super Bowl, had a great rotation of running backs, had a guy in Plaxico Burress who was an absolute dominating factor, got lucky because a guy who has since converted to a defensive back made the best catch in the history of the NFL playoffs, and had a defense that had finally figured out how to get to Tom Brady. Eli Manning had a hell of a lot more going for him than Phillip Rivers.

Obviously you know what you're talking about. We just have different ways of crowning a top 3 guy. Trust me, I realize Eli is not even sniffing top 10.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
Exactly. When Brandon Marshall came into the NFL, he was supposed to be a FS out of Central Florida. Now, he's a top tier WR when he isn't in trouble with the law. Eddie Royal comes in last year, has a good rookie year, and now everyone is calling him "a weapon the Bears don't have". Did Royal have a good year because he was so ready to play in the NFL, or did he have a good year because Cutler was his QB? I think it's option 2.

Brandon Marshall was never going to be a FS in the NFL. He caught 75 passes for 1200 yards as a senior at UCF. He played some defense as a JR but when you but up the numbers he did his SR year, youre drafted to play WR, not to be moved to defense.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
Please find my quote where I say 100 is the line. Tom Brady and Drew Brees have more impressive seasons than Phillip Rivers.

YOU said that he needed to accomplish more than Chad Pennington blah blah.. Then your reason was he needs to do it more than once to be considered along the lines of Peyton, Brees, and Brady.. but your entire logic here makes no sense when Brees and Brady only have one 100+ QB rating season in their careers as well..

And once again, if you would look at Bradys career season avg's they aren't any better than Rivers.. I haven't looked at Brees yet either but ide venture to guess the same would apply.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:00 AM)
YOU said that he needed to accomplish more than Chad Pennington blah blah.. Then your reason was he needs to do it more than once to be considered along the lines of Peyton, Brees, and Brady.. but your entire logic here makes no sense when Brees and Brady only have one 100+ QB rating season in their careers as well..

And once again, if you would look at Bradys career season avg's they aren't any better than Rivers.. I haven't looked at Brees yet either but ide venture to guess the same would apply.

I actually think Tom Brady is kinda overrated. I think he's a great QB and all. But when people put him in the same class as Montana/Elway/Marino, I want to behead something.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 01:06 AM)
I actually think Tom Brady is kinda overrated. I think he's a great QB and all. But when people put him in the same class as Montana/Elway/Marino, I want to behead something.

Exactly, just look at his stats. He had that one freak season when he had Moss and they ran a spread offense anytime they threw the ball. Other than that he is a low 60's comp% 25-28 TD 12-14 INT QB. His career rating is only 92 even with that 117 rating season.. hes not even a career 90+ rating QB without that year.

Tom Brady is considered elite because he was on really good teams. The Patriots "dynasty" was not all Tom Brady.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 03:00 AM)

That's not exactly finding my quote. Your not going to sell me on putting a guy in the top 3, who had a 82 Qb rating not too long ago. To put that in perspective, Jason Campbell had a 84.3 rating in 2008. So is he top 3 if he blows his load this year?

Sorry. Phil Rivers is close to top 5, but not top 3. That takes more than 1 season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 03:06 AM)

Brady is overrated imo, but he is still top 3 and still ahead of Rivers.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:59 AM)
That's not exactly finding my quote. Your not going to sell me on putting a guy in the top 3, who had a 82 Qb rating not too long ago. To put that in perspective, Jason Campbell had a 84.3 rating in 2008. So is he top 3 if he blows his load this year?

Sorry. Phil Rivers is close to top 5, but not top 3. That takes more than 1 season.

You didn't make a quote that said exactly that, what you said was Rivers needed to accomplish more than Chad Pennington to be considered in that top class (And you name Brees and Brady in said class) while, according to you and your EXACT WORDS, Brees and Brady technically haven't accomplished more than Chad Pennington has either because they only have one 100+ season as well.. thats what I was saying. So was that your exact quote, no. Was that you contradicting yourself, yes.

I said Rivers is a top 5 QB for sure, I never said hes top three and that's that.

Rivers first year starting was a 92 rating, but I like how that was ignored to try and squeeze your poor Jason Cambpell example into this. I can play this game too. Oh, Drew Brees? Last season was his first 30+ TD season in his career how can he be considered a top 3 QB in this league? Tell you what, if he can get his career QB rating over 89 maybe ill put him in that top class.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 03:06 AM)

I want to hug you right now.

I say the exact same thing but I get resistance from the Brady ball-nibblers who have been brainwashed by ESPN and the rest of those who verbally fellate him. I tend to be pigeonholed by people who are insinuating I'm saying something I never said (i.e. Brady isn't that good). The Pats are a well-oiled machine... Brady is the most important part of it, but the parts are mostly interchangeable (see Matt Cassel). Does this mean I wouldn't love him on my team if he had the supporting cast? Absolutely not, because he will be a winner. But he won't make a team all by himself. Give him the s*** blocking Roethlisberger has and see what his numbers look like then.

I mean, though, the 49ers in the 80s weren't a well-oiled machine?

Anyways, Roethlisberger is a pretty underrated in this thread. That guy gets the absolute s*** beat out of him every game, if you put him on some of these competent offenses he'd put up some great numbers.

But, yes, Philliip Rivers deserved that cash. I mean seriously you can't think Kurt Warner should be paid more than him, simply the fact that Rivers is so young and so productive warrants more $$$. Rodgers/Cutler/Rivers are the future world beaters at QB for years to come.