What contenders need relief help ?

Princess Dye

We need to wait until we get through the next homestand, at least. If we play .500 or less against the NL teams, it's history for 2009.

With Weeks going down, Nix would be perfect for the Brewers. Of course, they had a shot at him when he was released by the Rockies, but he's really looking much better than in 2008, and he's proven he has a certain amount of versatility to play SS now and even a little on the corners.

The problem is being 100% sure that Nix wouldn't be a better long-term answer than Getz. Getz came up through our system and he's left-handed, and Nix only has a .261 minor league batting average, but he looks pretty good so far and definitely has a better swing than Getz for now.

Lillibridge, forget it. They might be better off with Eider Torres.

The only relievers that are marketable are Jenks and Dotel, because we really have to hold on to Thornton and let him try closing (if Jenks were to be traded). Thornton probably wouldn't have the save conversion rate, but that contract for a closer would be a huge bargain when every dollar counts.

Linebrink's the least likely to go anywhere because of his contract, age and wear-and-tear over this decade. And we have to keep at least two experienced relievers or we'll be in the same position we were heading into the offseason before the 2008 season.

If the Brewers just made an incredible offer for Nix, you'd be irresponsible not to listen.

But it's not likely, and the reality is Betemit, with the emergence of Nix (who has made himself into Juan Uribe from last year, minus the $4.5 million contract) is expendable.

However, the Brewers won't take Wilson to play 2B, unfortunately.

The likelihood of getting potential 1-3 starters (unless they're at the A-level or below) out of any possible trades is very, very low, unless it's a trade of Jenks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
The likelihood of getting potential 1-3 starters (unless they're at the A-level or below) out of any possible trades is very, very low, unless it's a trade of Jenks.

With out AA team being quite loaded right now, there is nothing wrong with loading up on A ball guys and seeing if some of them turn out. Just try to get some of them with talent if we give up anyone is all I ask.

At least one of Omogrosso, Santeliz, Link and J. Nunez can fill one of the holes in the bullpen...late this year, or going into 2010.

We can be pretty confident about that.

Whatever we do, 80% of our focus and concentration in terms of making trades should be on either starting pitching or draft picks.

And they absolutely have to find out if Anderson, Fields, Ramirez and Getz are everyday players or move on. Playing Wilson Betemit over Fields at 3B is going to be a temptation, or Pods over Anderson, but neither one of those guys are going to be part of the long-range plans. In fact, the trickiest part might be getting enough AB's for those four, AND Nix, and still attempting to contend.

There's absolutely no reason to promote the AA players to the big leagues. If they could show the Barons games, though, instead of the major league team (as an alternative), there would be something to feel positive about in terms of the future. In 2007, there was absolutely nothing to be optimistic about. But that team kept fans waiting another 3-4 weeks before totally nosediving.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
Whatever we do, 80% of our focus and concentration in terms of making trades should be on either starting pitching or draft picks.

This isn't the NBA or NFL, you can't trade draft picks in MLB.

Let's turn this already unwatchable team into something even more unwatchable.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't unload some guys, but some of these threads are hilarious. Let's dump every guy with a salary above league-minimum, and create something even more hideous.

You want the Chicago Nationals? Well, at least they have Adam Dunn.

Dumping Konerko, Thome, Dye, Thornton, Dotel, Jenks, Linebrink, AJ, leaves us with holes to fill (with most likely unready players) at:

1B

DH

RF

C

We're already sitting at question marks at 3B, SS, 2B, CF

That leaves us with a question mark at every starting position. It also completely annihilates our bullpen, which stands behind an already horses*** starting rotation (I'm looking at you Clayton "1:1 strikes-to-balls" Richard and Gavin "I left my balls in Maryland" Floyd)

At least we have a corner outfielder who, hopefully, might be good and would ..maybe, resign with the blown-up firesale Chicago Whitesox, who won't be competitive for what could be a decade, easily

I wouldn't spend a dime on tickets to watch a terrible prospect-laden baseball team fight it out for 4th place for the next 5-6 years, and that's a generous time estimate

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 18, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
This isn't the NBA or NFL, you can't trade draft picks in MLB.

If we hold on to Octavio Dotel for this season instead of trading him and offered him arbitration, where we would be limited to cutting his salary 20%, we would be able to get (unless they revamp the rules next offseason) Type A compensation for Dotel, in all likelihood.

If they were to trade a package of salary for Chone Figgins, for example (since their salaries are fairly similar), same thing.

So in the process of going on and trading a Dotel (or for a Figgins), we have to decide 1) whether getting an immediate player back, like Jon Adkins for Ray Durham is worth it, 2) whether we can afford to offer arbitration, certainly we won't with Dye or Thome, 3) whether the Type A/B compensation will continue to exist in its present form through the new CBA in 2011. There was talk of changing it this offseason when Juan Cruz, Cabrera, Varitek and many others were struggling to find homes.

If we're going to use the draft picks on pitchers like Poreda or Porcello, then by all means, go for it. If we're in non-spending mode, then we won't want the picks. Up to KW and JR.

As I mentioned earlier, the likelihood of being handed another Danks, Floyd or Bailey at the trade deadline this summer is infinitesimal.

Edited by caulfield12

Mets lost Delgado until at least the All-Star break, they can either put Murphy at first which will open a spot in the OF (Dye) or we can give them Konerko to play first, but truth be told, I don't like the latter, I would rather hold on to Konerko and we can't give them Thome because Thome can't take the field anymore and I think they would be more interested in Dye because when Delgado does come back, their going to have two veteran slugging first basemen.

Speaking of the Mets, Omar Minaya LOVES Latino's, we could always trade them Dotel (but I'd rather not) to go into their pen with K-Rod, Putz, and Green, I don't know whom he could get in return, though.

I would also suggest Dye to Seattle for Endy Chavez. Chavez can lead-off which would allow us to put Getz in the 2-hole

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Let's turn this already unwatchable team into something even more unwatchable.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't unload some guys, but some of these threads are hilarious. Let's dump every guy with a salary above league-minimum, and create something even more hideous.

You want the Chicago Nationals? Well, at least they have Adam Dunn.

Dumping Konerko, Thome, Dye, Thornton, Dotel, Jenks, Linebrink, AJ, leaves us with holes to fill (with most likely unready players) at:

1B

DH

RF

C

We're already sitting at question marks at 3B, SS, 2B, CF

That leaves us with a question mark at every starting position. It also completely annihilates our bullpen, which stands behind an already horses*** starting rotation (I'm looking at you Clayton "1:1 strikes-to-balls" Richard and Gavin "I left my balls in Maryland" Floyd)

At least we have a corner outfielder who, hopefully, might be good and would ..maybe, resign with the blown-up firesale Chicago Whitesox, who won't be competitive for what could be a decade, easily

I wouldn't spend a dime on tickets to watch a terrible prospect-laden baseball team fight it out for 4th place for the next 5-6 years, and that's a generous time estimate

Just to point out, the current lineup has lost quite a few games in a row.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Just to point out, the current lineup has lost quite a few games in a row.

you don't think they're underachieving?

i'm not saying they're going to turn it around and end up above .500 at the end of the year, i'm merely pointing out what would happen if they completely blew it all up and went with all league-minimum players

it would be unbearable even compared to what we're currently watching

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 19, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)

i'm not saying they're going to turn it around and end up above .500 at the end of the year, i'm merely pointing out what would happen if they completely blew it all up and went with all league-minimum players

I wouldn't mind watching Poreda, Beckham and Viciedo if I knew they were going to play every game for the rest of the year. That would give me enough of a reason to watch the games.

The problem is we need to see what we have in Fields, Getz and Nix first. And Poreda's not ready. And there's no reason to start their arbitration clocks early....entertaining the fans and keeping them engaged probably isn't their first priority now. It has never been KW's. Sometimes I get the impression he wants to piss people off, even though I hope I'm wrong with that assessment. At least he and Ozzie are honest, I'll give them that much. We respect their emotions and sometimes hold it against them when things aren't going well.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 19, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)

I'll just say that in two of the last three years I've seen a lifeless team. Last year we didn't see that because there were some more vocal guys and those guys were shipped out. Of course they are better than they've been the last 10 days and I've said in my big blow-up post that June 1st was the date to make the decision because you can't ignore injuries and the fact that this is a very winnable division but what makes me concerned is the way they are losing.

I still buy Getz/Ramirez/Quentin as good to above average major leaguers.