Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
I don't understand how the Sox posting the biggest in-season trade since the Freddy Garcia deal on their web site, getting the fan base all riled up, and then dropping the truth on them like a load of bricks is going to sell tickets and merchandise. If anything, it makes Kenny and the Sox front office look disingenuous and low-class. Not to mention desperate for attention.

well I did buy tickets for Saturdays game....however I was going to go anyway I just bought them a little earlier

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Agreed, unless he's traded to the Cubs in 2 months and acts like he's the happiest person in the world.

If that's the case...I hope he doesn't pitch in the Crosstown Classic...

I take that back...I hope he DOES...and gets shellacked!

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Agreed, unless he's traded to the Cubs in 2 months and acts like he's the happiest person in the world.

yeah, but i've seen 3-4 sources in the last 5 minutes that it's because he's afraid of the big bad AL, so the Sox hands were really tied if that's true, but bad move by the Pads to shop him to the AL without getting some better assurances from him. They signed him to the NTC, you have to dance with him if you're the Pads and have him involved early on in trade discussions

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
well if multiple sources are saying the AL thing, to me, it's a real issue for him.

I think the one glimmer of hope is that the Pads, Sox or Peavy's agent haven't come out and flat out said it's a dead deal.

If you paid attention to the Peavy rumors over the offseason, that deal with the Cubs was supposedly alive for like 3 months.

Jake the Pussy doesn't commit to anything. He leaves his agent hanging, and his agent tries to keep his client's options open since the Pads suck and want to move him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
If the Sox are willing to take on that much money and willing to give up the prospects that have been mentioned, they could realistically be involved with a lot of marquee names (guys like Oswalt who could be available).

A lot of marquee names? I am asking you for some specifics. First, I don't see why Houston would be compelled to trade him. Second, he's not as good as Peavy.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Here's the thing: if he really doesn't want to move to the AL, then why are the Padres even discussing anything with the Sox?

I'm doubtful this deal gets done. It doesn't sound like Peavy will make any decision any time soon, but it cannot simply be to stay in the NL. I think that ship has sailed for the Padres.

That is a good question. Perhaps the Padres thought that Peavy would change his mind, but they had to know his feelings on a trade to an AL club.

Same goes for the White Sox. Perhaps the Sox thought this would stay quiet, but now there's a giant PR debacle, not really the Sox fault, but still a trade that fell through.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
well if multiple sources are saying the AL thing, to me, it's a real issue for him.

I think the one glimmer of hope is that the Pads, Sox or Peavy's agent haven't come out and flat out said it's a dead deal.

That's fine, but the Padres have to be telling him that they can't get a better deal in the NL. There aren't that many teams that can afford him and the Cubs aren't in the mix right now.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
If you paid attention to the Peavy rumors over the offseason, that deal with the Cubs was supposedly alive for like 3 months.

Jake the Pussy doesn't commit to anything. He leaves his agent hanging, and his agent tries to keep his client's options open since the Pads suck and want to move him.

Enough with this, no need to continue to say this because it slips past the filter

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
A lot of marquee names? I am asking you for some specifics. First, I don't see why Houston would be compelled to trade him. Second, he's not as good as Peavy.

Peavy's pitched basically his whole career in one of the best pitcher's parks in league history. Oswalt, meanwhile, has had a hell of a career pitching at a park with a 315 foot fence to left field. I'm just saying that if we're willing to take on a huge pitching contract while giving up valuable resources, it's very possible there will be Plan B, C, to come.

I wonder what Javy Vazquez's career stats would look like if he pitched his whole career in San Diego? He's doing damn good in Atlanta now.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Enough with this, no need to continue to say this because it slips past the filter

Why not? If there's someone who would rather pitch in the NL instead of play for a more competitive team in the big bad AL, that's the definition of a coward.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Bruce knows his stuff about the two teams in the city, and has good sources. It's when he tries and reports things outside of Chicago is when he gets sketchy.

So basically we are approaching 50 minutes of the recent round of sour news coming out and nothing official. That's a sign to me that it's not officially dead. I think the second it's dead KW gets it out.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
Why not? If there's someone who would rather pitch in the NL instead of play for a more competitive team in the big bad AL, that's the definition of a coward.

then call him a coward.