Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
I wouldn't, unless the PTBNL were Broadway and McCulloch or Egbert or something. But if it was Hudson and another solid guy, too much. I think Oswalt is nearing the decline.

Did one of the pages I missed firmly establish that it was Hudson as a PTBNL or that he was on the list?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading into today, I had written off the season as 2007 redux. This rumor made me rethink it, although he doesn't address our offensive issues. Knowing, though, that we'd be unloading more than a few people before next season, I thought this could be a great move for 2010.

Oh well. Oh, and I've never been to a 20-1 loss before. Dismal. Worst since... hey! That double-header against Minnesota in 2007. I was at both.

That said, it's nice to see KW willing to make a major move like that.

This is from Rosenthal though I'm sure it has been posted:

To even consider waiving his no-trade clause for the White Sox — an AL team that plays in a hitter-friendly park — Peavy would have required greater inducements than he would have, say, to join the Cubs.

Start with a full no-trade clause, a mandatory condition for every suitor. Peavy also might have wanted his $22 million option for 2013 guaranteed, plus some combination of an opt-out clause, an extension that elevated him to Johan Santana territory and other goodies.

He's not Johan. I wish this deal got done, but it's clear that he is scared that he won't get another big deal if he pitches in the AL. By 2012 we could have been looking at an albatross.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
I wouldn't, unless the PTBNL were Broadway and McCulloch or Egbert or something. But if it was Hudson and another solid guy, too much. I think Oswalt is nearing the decline.

Yep, because of the age disparity between Peavy and Oswalt you have to take Hudson out of a deal. Poreda, Richard, Broadway and Mcculloch/Ely is exactly the type of deal to explore. Oswalt isn't perfection, but an ace is an ace.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
This is from Rosenthal though I'm sure it has been posted:

He's not Johan. I wish this deal got done, but it's clear that he is scared that he won't get another big deal if he pitches in the AL. By 2012 we could have been looking at an albatross.

right, and some people are going to panic because it says "Cubs" but he could have slotted LAD, Hou, Stl or another one of the NL teams he said was OK. This supports that Gammons said he had reservations about LAA, Red Sox and NYY last year, it's not like he's singling the White Sox out as far as his AL thing goes.

I wonder if the "any suitor" for the full NTC even means an NL team, because not picking up his option that's a huge risk. you can always dump good pitching, but it's a huge risk if your team tanks in 2011 and you're stuck with 17-18m you can't move unless you pull off a miracle

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
right, and some people are going to panic because it says "Cubs" but he could have slotted LAD, Hou, Stl or another one of the NL teams he said was OK. This supports that Gammons said he had reservations about LAA, Red Sox and NYY last year, it's not like he's singling the White Sox out as far as his AL thing goes.

In reality, we don't even know what he would have wanted from an NL team either. That's all speculation. I think that $22M option has to be picked up no matter what.

Originally posted: May 21, 2009

White Sox's Ken Williams comments on Peavy rejection

By Mark Gonzales

White Sox general manager Ken Williams issued the following statement on Jake Peavy's declining of a trade from San Diego to Chicago:

"It was communicated to me earlier this evening that Jake Peavy is simply not yet ready to make a commitment to join the Chicago White Sox.

"I understand where Jake is coming from given the unusually early timing of this type of event. It's understandable that he was caught a bit off guard, as most people in his position would be. He has a wife and three young boys to consider, and Jake has earned the right to thoroughly think through this move.

"He and his agent, Barry Axelrod, have been transparent in their thoughts, respectful and complimentary of what we have accomplished with the White Sox, and understand our desire to win another World Series title. I walk away with a greater respect and admiration for both as a result.

"Anyone who has followed our club knows we still have championship aspirations for this season and will continue to improve our current club by pursuing all of our various opportunities."

QUOTE (DanksFan @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)

By Mark Gonzales

White Sox general manager Ken Williams issued the following statement on Jake Peavy's declining of a trade from San Diego to Chicago:

"It was communicated to me earlier this evening that Jake Peavy is simply not yet ready to make a commitment to join the Chicago White Sox.

"I understand where Jake is coming from given the unusually early timing of this type of event. It's understandable that he was caught a bit off guard, as most people in his position would be. He has a wife and three young boys to consider, and Jake has earned the right to thoroughly think through this move.

"He and his agent, Barry Axelrod, have been transparent in their thoughts, respectful and complimentary of what we have accomplished with the White Sox, and understand our desire to win another World Series title. I walk away with a greater respect and admiration for both as a result.

"Anyone who has followed our club knows we still have championship aspirations for this season and will continue to improve our current club by pursuing all of our various opportunities."

I get the feeling he will revist this if it's an option

QUOTE (DanksFan @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)

By Mark Gonzales

Someone needs to hire Kenny's speechwriter because you know that isn't what he was thinking when Peavy turned them down.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
That makes me think it could still change. I mentioned it earlier but didnt Fred McGriff once turn down a trade to the Cubs and then come back days later and accept?

Either he rejected it or took 2-4 days to accept. Again, as long as he's stays healthy, I think the Sox deal for him and the Pads or a similar deal will be available later, the key to KW's statement is when he talks about it being early in the year.

And again... the media will hype he would go to the Cubs and not the Sox, but again, that's a great story, but he was hesitant to go to other AL teams last year and he would go to another NL team he likes pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
That makes me think it could still change. I mentioned it earlier but didnt Fred McGriff once turn down a trade to the Cubs and then come back days later and accept?

You might be right.

But I think this deal is dead... Peavy is not coming here. lol we're the ugly chick at the party who can't get a dance...

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
You might be right.

But I think this deal is dead... Peavy is not coming here. lol we're the ugly chick at the party who can't get a dance...

Yeah, but that pretty ring we're wearing sure looks good!!!

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)
Today reminds me of the Torii Hunter and Kosuke Fukodome slighting from a few years ago. I hate the fact that big time players choose to stay away from here. It makes the Sox seem like step children when compared to the Cubs.

Both signed with teams that were offering the most money. The Sox were the highest bidder on Hunter until the Angels came in and overspent. [My biggest regret with not signing Hunter was it would have prevented the sox from trading for Swisher.]

If the Sox wanted to overspend on players, they could be like the Cubs and sign a free agent or two. They did it with Linebrink. But the Sox like to trade for players, and "overspend" in terms of talent, rather than dollars. I'd much rather the sox miss on a trade now and then than get locked into a huge, bloated long term contract.

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
Both signed with teams that were offering the most money. The Sox were the highest bidder on Hunter until the Angels came in and overspent. [My biggest regret with not signing Hunter was it would have prevented the sox from trading for Swisher.]

If the Sox wanted to overspend on players, they could be like the Cubs and sign a free agent or two. They did it with Linebrink. But the Sox like to trade for players, and "overspend" in terms of talent, rather than dollars. I'd much rather the sox miss on a trade now and then than get locked into a huge, bloated long term contract.

I believe for Fukudome the Sox and another team offered slightly more, he wanted to be the first Japanese player on a team

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
If this affair has taught me anything it’s that Ken Rosenthal is an ignorant midget who can go screw himself because no one will be stupid enough to do it for him.

:unsure: