Matt Cain

Special K

I heard on the Score 670 yesterday during Mike Murphy's show when he had a beat reporter for the Sun Times on air, that the KW is pursuing Matt Cain pretty hard. Im not trying to start any rumors or anything, I just wanted to know if anyone has heard any truth to this and possibly get a little feedback.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Special K @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
I heard on the Score 670 yesterday during Mike Murphy's show when he had a beat reporter for the Sun Times on air, that the KW is pursuing Matt Cain pretty hard. Im not trying to start any rumors or anything, I just wanted to know if anyone has heard any truth to this and possibly get a little feedback.

SF reporters have repeatedly said that SF is not dangling Matt Cain, and that the only thing SF needs is a young inpact bat, which we dont want to give up anyway.

Not a good rumor or match.

Who did Murph have on, Cowley?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants...;entry_id=40632

Here I am, though, with a knockdown note of my own, which I hate to do because I have the utmost respect for the reporting ability of my talented friend and San Jose Mercury competitor Andrew Baggarly.

I don't know if I'm right. I don't know if he's right. But the fact is, he wrote a rather jarring paragraph that said the Giants are dangling Matt Cain to other teams to gauge his trade value. I ran that by a very high-level source with the Giants, and he said, "Absolutely false."

I will say this. Teams throughout the course of the season will float just about every player's name on the trade market because that is the best way for a GM to gauge what a player is worth. You want to know how valuable your inventory is. That, though, is a far cry from serious dangling.

One point is indisputable. The Giants control Cain through 2011. Even if they did decide to move him, they would not do so to acquire any hitter who would be a free-agent after this season. It would have to be an equally controllable, young impact hitter with a track record in the majors, and those are hard to acquire.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Essentially they are talking about a Quentin type hitter for Cain? LOL.

I don't know if Quentin by himself would be enough for Cain. But I would also NOT like to see Cain's flyball style pitching inside the cell and it costing us Quentin or some combination of our Birmingham guys.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
FWIW, Levine mentioned Cain on the Afternoon Saloon yesterday as well...adding it could be a very good fit especiallyif we could dangle a Nix or Getz in their direction

Matt Cain for Nix or Getz? Sign me up. I don't even think X-Box would allow that. I was wondering if Ramirez and a top prospect or 2 could get the job done. I think the prospect would have to be very highly thought of. They are going to have to make room for Beckham fairly soon.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
FWIW, Levine mentioned Cain on the Afternoon Saloon yesterday as well...adding it could be a very good fit especiallyif we could dangle a Nix or Getz in their direction

It would have to be alot more than that. If it really is centered around one of those guys and we threw in some pitching prospects, then you definitely have to go for it.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
I don't know if Quentin by himself would be enough for Cain. But I would also NOT like to see Cain's flyball style pitching inside the cell and it costing us Quentin or some combination of our Birmingham guys.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
It would have to be alot more than that. If it really is centered around one of those guys and we threw in some pitching prospects, then you definitely have to go for it.

Nix was available for the minimum and SF passed. I highly doubt they would trade a 24 year old pitcher who is 5-1 with a 2.40 ERA in a deal centered around him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
Nix was available for the minimum and SF passed. I highly doubt they would trade a 24 year old pitcher who is 5-1 with a 2.40 ERA in a deal centered around him.

Exactly what I was saying. Sabean would be ran out of town if he ever did that. Probably out of the country.

Guys, come on. If you were a team, wouldnt you want to build around two top of the rotation type pitchers like Lincecum and Cain? What would you take in trade for John Danks? Start there and see if someone like Nix or Getz would be able to grab Danks from you.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Guys, come on. If you were a team, wouldnt you want to build around two top of the rotation type pitchers like Lincecum and Cain? What would you take in trade for John Danks? Start there and see if someone like Nix or Getz would be able to grab Danks from you.

If i were the Giants i'd open up trade talks for Zito (two middling prospect, anything you can get) and Sanchez (second-tier offensive prospect.). That's it, because a 2010 rotation of Lincecum, Cain, Alderson, Baumgardner, and anyone under the sun is still one of the best in the league.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)

I dont think anyone is actually thinking those would be the demands for Cain, maybe as a second piece along with a Danks2 or Beckham then yes, I could see them being included. Kind of like the position prospect style of the Poreda/Richard proposal for Peavy.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
I could see San Fran being extremely interested in Poreda. IIRC, Poreda was likely gonna be their next pick before we snatched him away.

Poreda would fall in to the "Might be nice" category for the Giants. He might be nice, but he doesn't fill their needs; all he does is give them an extra year or two before their pitcher becomes expensive/FA. They have pitching. They need a bat.

Guys I wouldn't part with for Cain:

Quentin

Beckham

Viciedo

Ramirez

D2: the Mighty Danks

Flowers (he's the right value level...but that's where Posey plays and frankly we need a catcher at some point in the next year or two)

Guys I might part with that they might actually be interested in:

Allen

Anderson/Fields (although we've pretty well managed to destroy their trade value haven't we)

Getz

Shelby

Etc.

I don't know if Allen would interest them, but he might well be the best fit as a deal centerpiece, unless we can sell them on Brian Anderson (frankly, I think they'd be smart to try to get him, but considering how determined we are to put him on the bench I doubt they'd figure that out)

QUOTE (Special K @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)

Cain is a name I threw out when the Peavy stuff started dying down and this is a name that I love. He's having the best season of his career, is still very young, and at least has the stuff to really excel in the AL. The big questions are the price it would take to get him (the Giants are looking for bats that they can put in there lineup today and I don't know if the Sox have those guys so I'd assume a 3rd team, looking to sell a big name bat, would be involved).

I just know that I am a big Cain fan and think he'd be an excellent addition to go along side Buehrle/Danks/Floyd/Richard.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Cain is a name I threw out when the Peavy stuff started dying down and this is a name that I love. He's having the best season of his career, is still very young, and at least has the stuff to really excel in the AL. The big questions are the price it would take to get him (the Giants are looking for bats that they can put in there lineup today and I don't know if the Sox have those guys so I'd assume a 3rd team, looking to sell a big name bat, would be involved).

I just know that I am a big Cain fan and think he'd be an excellent addition to go along side Buehrle/Danks/Floyd/Richard.

It would cost at least Beckham and another impact spect, because thats what I would be asking for Danks

QUOTE (everafan @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:42 AM)
If there was a GM that would do it, it would be Sabean.

Is Sabean that bad of a GM? San Fran was a very competitive team for a long time and while they are in a rebuilding mode right now, they already have two front of the rotation young guns (Linnecum and Cain) but they have a couple stud guys down in AA (the two youngest AA pitchers). Those young guys allow them to move Cain but I wont' lie, it doesn't make sense for San Fran unless they get a franchise type of bat.

I'm not so sure how interested they are in Allen. I guess it depends on how far away they think Villanova is and/or if they think one of Allen or Villanova can play LF.

I'd offer them Allen, Fields, Getz/Nix, and Carter, and go from there. Definitely not enough, but then again, it is Sabean.

Edited by BearSox