Gordon Beckham Called Up

flavum

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
Rick Porcello's 5-0, 1.50 ERA last month puts him in the lead right now. But yeah, not a lot of impact rookies to this point. Though I see that changing soon (Wieters).

Completely forgot about him.

I guess if any of Beckham/Wieters/Price have good years here on out they will have decent shots as RoY

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
i don't think we expect him to be. but pedroia-like isn't completely out of the question in a year or so

I'm sure that Beckham will be a very solid player in 1-3 years (maybe even an All-Star), but keep in mind how awful Ventura was in his first season in the bigs.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
i don't think we expect him to be. but pedroia-like isn't completely out of the question in a year or so

I know. It was just a reply to the "we haven't had an impact player from our minors"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Rick Porcello's 5-0, 1.50 ERA last month puts him in the lead right now. But yeah, not a lot of impact rookies to this point. Though I see that changing soon (Wieters).

If the Sox had any nuts we'd currently have Porcello AND Beckham.

So, a really stupid question that's been probably answered a million times, but -

how the hell do you know he's ready this early? what do you look at? His stats are great but it's just been so few games....

Does it have more to do with our need to take a big risk at the expense of his confidence and ability vs. him being necessarily ready?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
I'm sure that Beckham will be a very solid player in 1-3 years (maybe even an All-Star), but keep in mind how awful Ventura was in his first season in the bigs.

I'll also keep in mind how good Dustin Pedroia and Evan Longoria were their rookie seasons. Or how Jay Bruce was able to make an impact right off the bat. Like I said, I'm not expecting Gordon to dominate. But I'm not expecting 4/31 with 12 K's either.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
According to his Wikipedia page, Beckham's nickname is "Bacon." Huh? Can anybody explain this to me?

Might be a joke from people listening to the Score. When Ozzie says Beckham it sounds like bacon.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
If the Sox had any nuts we'd currently have Porcello AND Beckham.

And maybe even Joba...

Instead we got McCullough....

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
I'll also keep in mind how good Dustin Pedroia and Evan Longoria were their rookie seasons. Or how Jay Bruce was able to make an impact right off the bat. Like I said, I'm not expecting Gordon to dominate. But I'm not expecting 4/31 with 12 K's either.

From what I've read, Beckham was never projected to be on Longoria's level. That's not to say that he can't get there, but I don't want people to start calling him a bust here if he does go 4/31 with 12 K's.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
From what I've read, Beckham was never projected to be on Longoria's level. That's not to say that he can't get there, but I don't want people to start calling him a bust here if he does go 4/31 with 12 K's.

He doesn't have the same kind of power. I think he has the talent to become a Derek Jeter-esque player offensively. .300 AVG and a slugging near .500.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)

Dustin Pedroia wasn't good the first year he came up. He played 31 games and hit like .190. His first full year though he was awesome.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)

I've said it before, but I think Gordon Beckham IS Dustin Pedroia with a little less speed, and a little more power. The mental makeup seems very similar.

GB is a doubles machine, and before too long, should be our leadoff hitter. I'm expecting Pods to either get hurt or fall off dramatically, BTW.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
The bashing of Jeter's defense is one of the greatest examples of hyperbole in the history of the internet. He should've been moved to 3B a few years ago and he never had great range to begin with. But he was far from a "horrible" defensive SS in his prime.

No, no it isn't He has no range, never has. Why do you think he's does those gazelle hops, for exercise? He's compensating for little range to his left or right.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
I've said it before, but I think Gordon Beckham IS Dustin Pedroia with a little less speed, and a little more power. The mental makeup seems very similar.

GB is a doubles machine, and before too long, should be our leadoff hitter. I'm expecting Pods to either get hurt or fall off dramatically, BTW.

I disagree, he MAY hit 2nd, but our future leadoff guy is probably Danks2