Aaron Poreda called up

Jimbo's Drinker

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
As does Clayton Richard.

It worked so well for...(all of these guys had Minor and Major League starts and we used them out of the pen at least half the time if not all the time)

Rocky Biddle

Lorenzo Barcelo

Tanyon Sturtze

Gary Glover

Jon Rauch

Josh Stewart

Jon Adkins

Felix Diaz

Arnie Munoz

Charlie Haeger

Lance Broadway

Heath Phillips

Dewon Day

Adam Russell

Matt Ginter

Kevin Beirne

Carlos Castillo

Aaron Myette

Pat Daneker

Sean Tracey

It did work for:

Buehrle

Garland

McCarthy

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:14 AM)
My point being we rarely have success starting a guy out of the bullpen top prospect or not

I understand that, but a whole lot of those guys listed weren't legitimate pitching prospects and were either called up out of necessity or pushed into a starting gig by necessity (remember how bad the Sox 5th starters were for a stretch?

Oh and if you go by that rationale, the Sox did use Gavin Floyd a bit out of the pen and rotation in his first season with the Sox. The majority of his outings were starts but he also made 6 relief appearances.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
Firesale of who?

These guys I'd put on the bubble right now:

Count, Colon, Betemit has already been DFA'd, Gobble, Fields, Getz, maybe Nix but I think he's our UT player

Count is the only one who is expensive and we can't move his contract without taking on another bad contract. The other players make very little if not the minimum. Moving any or all of those guys wouldn't constitute a firesale IMO.

If we're going to run off a firesale then I'd expect to be hearing about Thome, JD, PK, Linebrink, maybe Jenks, Dotel, but who can take on those contracts?

I guess I just don't see it. I see activity, and lots of it, but shedding major contracts of players who are coming off the books anyway doesn't seem to make a ton of sense when there's no one to replace them with.

specific names he gave, jenks, dye, dotel

That is definitely the first news story I will ever break in my lifetime. I could not sleep and was checking facebook updated on the blackberry. The power of social media is very scary. The funny thing is most of the reports just copied my twitter update.

The Sox first Jewish player since Schoenweiss.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
That is definitely the first news story I will ever break in my lifetime. I could not sleep and was checking facebook updated on the blackberry. The power of social media is very scary. The funny thing is most of the reports just copied my twitter update.

The Sox first Jewish player since Schoenweiss.

:cheers

I realize that we're only 4 games out, but at what point does Kenny Williams, if ever, come to the conclusion that this team isn't that good, despite the rest of the division being very bad? In other words, if the goal is to win a championship, and this team, while it may hang around and give false hope, isn't going to win one much less get over .500, why not trade Jermaine Dye to a team that can use a hitter?