Draft Signings

danman31

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
I don't think that it's quite so easy to turn a team around.

What do you mean? Giving out like $60-80M for 3 prospects is exactly how you build a team!

Wasn't Neftali Feliz an under-the-radar signing for the Braves? How much would he get right now if he were able to negotiate a contract like Chapman will be able to? Giving that much money to 3 big name prospects is stupid when you could just do the scouting and sign a s***load of extremely talented players for the same amount.

Strasburg is an exception because the Nats had #1 overall and it will send a bad message to their fans if they fail to sign their first rounders for two straight years, so they should try to get this done. But Strasburg is a PERFECT example of why MLB is all f***ed up. Teams should be able to trade draft picks and slots NEED to be raised across the board and then stuck to so this s*** doesn't happen. The MLB draft is a f***ing joke and has been for quite some time. The best players should go highest and they should be forced to sign at no more than slot. And all the loopholes that allow players to re-enter the draft looking for more money after playing for an independent league team or go overseas are also bulls***. The FA compensation system is bulls*** too, especially how it affects the draft. The whole thing needs to be overhauled because teams should be able to draft a player knowing he'll sign if the team offers the appropriate max slot bonus.

I'll end the rant now. But the whole thing just pisses me off when teams like the Sox don't regularly go over slot because they respect the commissioner's office, but then the f***ing Royals and Pirates and Red Sox and Rangers and Yankees and Tigers etc. go way the f*** over on a bunch of players and nobody gets fined or otherwise penalized. If you're going to hold a kangaroo court at least f***ing enforce SOME of your rules. The amount of insane overslot signings is getting absolutely ridiculous, and it SHOULD piss off the Players Association at least as much if not more than it pisses off the owners, because unproven prospects are getting money that productive veterans are not getting in free agency.

So anyway, Morgado better sign or I'm going to cast a voodoo curse on him that will make his left arm fall off and two more rights grow straight out his ass.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
This draft is starting to look not so good...

Sorry, but I'm not going to get all worked up about not signing a pitcher who looked good in the Cape Cod League. A good draft will produce 2-3 quality major leaguers. Only time will tell if that's the case here. Our development of players has improved somewhat, and the last couple of drafts have netted good results.

Maybe KW would rather spend the money on Arguelles or another Cuban. I trust the org's judgement with their talent evaluation more than I have in recent years.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
Sorry, but I'm not going to get all worked up about not signing a pitcher who looked good in the Cape Cod League. A good draft will produce 2-3 quality major leaguers. Only time will tell if that's the case here. Our development of players has improved somewhat, and the last couple of drafts have netted good results.

Maybe KW would rather spend the money on Arguelles or another Cuban. I trust the org's judgement with their talent evaluation more than I have in recent years.

Yeah but if you don't spend the money to sign your third rounder (who you draft that high because you think he has legit ML potential) then you are seriously hampering your ability to produce said 2-3 quality major leaguers. This guy had no intention on returning to college after (I believe) leaving this year on a bad note with the team, so you have to wonder why the Sox drafted him and did not sign him. It's not like he is Strasburg asking for the moon, he probably only is asking $500,000 more than the Sox want to give.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Yeah but if you don't spend the money to sign your third rounder (who you draft that high because you think he has legit ML potential) then you are seriously hampering your ability to produce said 2-3 quality major leaguers. This guy had no intention on returning to college after (I believe) leaving this year on a bad note with the team, so you have to wonder why the Sox drafted him and did not sign him. It's not like he is Strasburg asking for the moon, he probably only is asking $500,000 more than the Sox want to give.

If this has been addressed already, I apologize, but do we get compensation if we do not sign Morgado? For example, do the Sox get an extra third round pick next year?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)

I wouldn't pay him $500,000 above slot, that would be $900,000+, almost 1st round money. He's not worth that. I'm not sure I would even go to $500,000 which would already be almost $200,000 above slot.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:51 AM)
What do you mean? Giving out like $60-80M for 3 prospects is exactly how you build a team!

Wasn't Neftali Feliz an under-the-radar signing for the Braves? How much would he get right now if he were able to negotiate a contract like Chapman will be able to? Giving that much money to 3 big name prospects is stupid when you could just do the scouting and sign a s***load of extremely talented players for the same amount.

Strasburg is an exception because the Nats had #1 overall and it will send a bad message to their fans if they fail to sign their first rounders for two straight years, so they should try to get this done. But Strasburg is a PERFECT example of why MLB is all f***ed up. Teams should be able to trade draft picks and slots NEED to be raised across the board and then stuck to so this s*** doesn't happen. The MLB draft is a f***ing joke and has been for quite some time. The best players should go highest and they should be forced to sign at no more than slot. And all the loopholes that allow players to re-enter the draft looking for more money after playing for an independent league team or go overseas are also bulls***. The FA compensation system is bulls*** too, especially how it affects the draft. The whole thing needs to be overhauled because teams should be able to draft a player knowing he'll sign if the team offers the appropriate max slot bonus.

I'll end the rant now. But the whole thing just pisses me off when teams like the Sox don't regularly go over slot because they respect the commissioner's office, but then the f***ing Royals and Pirates and Red Sox and Rangers and Yankees and Tigers etc. go way the f*** over on a bunch of players and nobody gets fined or otherwise penalized. If you're going to hold a kangaroo court at least f***ing enforce SOME of your rules. The amount of insane overslot signings is getting absolutely ridiculous, and it SHOULD piss off the Players Association at least as much if not more than it pisses off the owners, because unproven prospects are getting money that productive veterans are not getting in free agency.

So anyway, Morgado better sign or I'm going to cast a voodoo curse on him that will make his left arm fall off and two more rights grow straight out his ass.

Santeria works wonders.

I think that the MLB (and NFL for that matter) should adopt the NBA's amateur draft framework. You have to declare yourself eligible for the draft and if you do so then the team that picks you has your rights essentially forever. They also have to sign a relatively short term contract that falls within a particular slotting range. So if you think that you're hot s*** and won't sign for anything less than top dollar then you don't sign at all and can go play in japan or something. The way it is the agents/players have the teams over the barrel and it's just a bunch of BS. Just the same problem with the NFL right now, unproven players should not be getting these HUGE amounts of money and taking cash out of the pockets of proven veterans. If you're really the s*** then you'll cash in on your second contract and there won't be any problems. But Strasburg wanting 50 mil b4 he's thrown a professional pitch is crap. I'll put a voodoo curse on anyone who holds out for more money.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Santeria works wonders.

I think that the MLB (and NFL for that matter) should adopt the NBA's amateur draft framework. You have to declare yourself eligible for the draft and if you do so then the team that picks you has your rights essentially forever. They also have to sign a relatively short term contract that falls within a particular slotting range. So if you think that you're hot s*** and won't sign for anything less than top dollar then you don't sign at all and can go play in japan or something. The way it is the agents/players have the teams over the barrel and it's just a bunch of BS. Just the same problem with the NFL right now, unproven players should not be getting these HUGE amounts of money and taking cash out of the pockets of proven veterans. If you're really the s*** then you'll cash in on your second contract and there won't be any problems. But Strasburg wanting 50 mil b4 he's thrown a professional pitch is crap. I'll put a voodoo curse on anyone who holds out for more money.

All summer we have been hoping to sign two of the remaining unsigned picks, if all the signals are true we might not sign anyone else. How will we view this draft if no other picks are signed? I'm still happy about Mitchell and Thompson. Did we get Phegley and Thompson with the extra picks for Cabrera?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)

I'm just saying that we have choices between spending on draft picks and spending elsewhere. The higher draft picks have too much leverage in the current structure and may frequently be not worth the expense compared to their expected return.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 03:51 AM)

Amen, brother!

Morgado probably wants high first round money like every other 3rd rounder in the country.

I normally always advocate spending heavily on the farm system but this year it is getting really bad. Some of these 2rd-7th or so round players are getting more money guaranteed than Orlando Hudson got guaranteed on his last contract. That is f***ing ridiculous.

We really need Morgado in our system because of the lack of lefty pitching prospects, but after bringing in Rios and Peavy I understand the Sox passing if his demands are outrageous. I'm sure the Sox are/were prepared to go well above slot for him anyway.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
Morgado probably wants high first round money like every other 3rd rounder in the country.

I normally always advocate spending heavily on the farm system but this year it is getting really bad. Some of these 2rd-7th or so round players are getting more money guaranteed than Orlando Hudson got guaranteed on his last contract. That is f***ing ridiculous.

We really need Morgado in our system because of the lack of lefty pitching prospects, but after bringing in Rios and Peavy I understand the Sox passing if his demands are outrageous. I'm sure the Sox are/were prepared to go well above slot for him anyway.

Morgado is getting bad advice, he is also coming off TJ surgery and we were probably offering second round type money. He will not be drafted that high next year, no chance.

I’m not sure I understand what Morgado is playing at here. Obviously, money is a factor, but the fact is he was drafted as a project. He bombed out of the Tennessee rotation, and wasn’t even invited back to the team, prior to his Cape Cod performance. A man like that should want to prove himself. The fact is the White Sox took an honest gamble on him, and I find it a dubious decision that he chose to spurn that.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
Morgado is getting bad advice, he is also coming off TJ surgery and we were probably offering second round type money. He will not be drafted that high next year, no chance.

Keith Law noted that he has "first-round stuff", a good season next year should see him rise up draft boards. That said, it's a very big risk on his part.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
Keith Law noted that he has "first-round stuff", a good season next year should see him rise up draft boards. That said, it's a very big risk on his part.

Agree it's a big risk. There are tons of guys every year who have first round stuff or are projected to develop first round stuff but don't know how to pitch, and/or have really poor mechanics, and/or are injured all the time, and/or are coming off major surgery, etc. Stuff alone doesn't always get you first round money, and while I understand why a prospect would want to get as much $$$ as possible in case he gets hurt or bombs out and has to do something else for a career, he's still taking a huge gamble here if he's not going to sign.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
Sounds like Tigers just spent 10 million to get Turner, Oliver, and Fields.

The Tigers continue to spend their money unwisely. Seriously, $6.7 million (or whatever the rumors is for Turner) is so much frickin money for a high schooler who played against s*** competition. They will probably regret this.

Major league contract for Turner. I find this hilarious, personally.

The Tigers have signed No. 9 overall pick Jacob Turner to a major league contract with a $4.7 million bonus (payable over six years) and a guaranteed value of $5.5 million. Depending on how quickly he reaches the majors, he could push the total value to nearly $7 million.

From BA.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Major league contract for Turner. I find this hilarious, personally.

From BA.

You give out major league contracts to two players over a 3 year span and your future picks are going to start expecting it.