Contreras named AL player of the week

smalls2598

from mlb.com

Chicago White Sox right-hander Jose Contreras, who posted a 0.00 ERA in his 16.0 innings pitched last week, has been named the American League Player of the Week presented by Bank of America for the period ending June 14. Bank of America is the Official Bank of Major League Baseball and the only place where you can get your favorite Club logo on checks, check cards or credit cards. For more information on MLB® banking, visit bankofamerica.com/MLB.

Contreras went a perfect 2-0 in his two starts last week, allowing only three hits and notching 11 strikeouts. On June 8th, the 37-year-old Contreras threw eight shutout innings while allowing just one hit with three strikeouts vs. the A.L. Central-rival Detroit Tigers at U.S. Cellular Field. On Saturday at Milwaukee, Contreras followed with an eight-strikeout scoreless effort. Jose, a 2006 A.L. All-Star, is the second pitcher since 1900 to throw 8.0 innings or more in a game while allowing no more than one hit after at least 30 days since his most recent appearance that season. The other pitcher to accomplish the feat was Montreal's Kirk Reuter, who threw a one-hit shutout on 8/27/95 vs. San Francisco after spending more than three months in the minor leagues. The 16.0 consecutive scoreless innings pitched mark a career-best for Contreras. The wins marked his first two of the season and lowered his ERA from 8.19 to 5.32. This marks Jose's first career weekly award.

Other performances of note included Kansas City Royals teammates Miguel Olivo, who led the A.L. with 21 total bases, and Alberto Callaspo, who paced the A.L. with eight RBI. Also receiving consideration was Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim outfielder Torii Hunter, who posted an A.L.-best 1.053 slugging percentage and four home runs. Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Scott Rolen, who posted an A.L.-best .550 batting average and .571 on-base percentage, also stood out last week.

Tourneau, the world's largest watch store, will supply Jose Contreras with a luxury Swiss Tourneau timepiece, suitably engraved, in recognition of his achievement as the A.L. Player of the Week presented by Bank of America.

Well deserved. I havent seen him this untouchable since post all-star break 2005 through pre-all star break 2006.

I am pretty sure he started the first game after the all star break in 2005 and shut down the Indians or Tigers with a 1 hitter

Potentially one of the most bizarre turn of events. Gotta give the big guy props for battling through whatever the heck it was that made him a BP pitcher for much of the past 2 years. His last two starts (+ Floyd's resurge) has this staff looking very good.

Edited by kwolf68

Okay, so here's my question. If he maintains this form over the next few weeks but the Sox offense continues to waste quality starts, is Jose more valuable as a trading chip or finishing out his contract with the Sox (ends this year, right)? I know a lot of factors come into play, but let's just say the Sox are still in 3rd place and about 5 games back. Does anyone think Jose can bring back any decent trade deadline haul?

If we have 2005 2nd half/2006 1st half contreras that will= 2009 Central Division Champion Chicago White Sox. No Doubt in my mind. Will he keep this up? Likely, no. If he does, the rotation looks like this.

Contreras

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Richard

The hitting should heat up. If not, I still like our chances with that rotation.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
If we have 2005 2nd half/2006 1st half contreras that will= 2009 Central Division Champion Chicago White Sox. No Doubt in my mind. Will he keep this up? Likely, no. If he does, the rotation looks like this.

Contreras

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Richard

The hitting should heat up. If not, I still like our chances with that rotation.

I completely agree with this

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
If Contreras puts up two more real good starts and we are still 5-7 games back, it is the time to trade him. You might actually be able to get something good for him to if he is dominant.

That's what Boers and Bernstein said.

It's too bad that our offense is absolute crap. We could have had something this year if this offense didn't blow so much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
If Contreras puts up two more real good starts and we are still 5-7 games back, it is the time to trade him. You might actually be able to get something good for him to if he is dominant.

The Quentin timeline will also be better set by than.

If Pods continues the work he has done over this time, he, Jose, Dye and Dotel could really get a haul.

I'm inclined to agree with the trade option. I love the Count, and thank god, for 2005, but he's fantastic again and his value has never been higher. If we can compete with him, let's go for it, if all we're going to do is tread water, let's try to get something in return.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
The Quentin timeline will also be better set by than.

If Pods continues the work he has done over this time, he, Jose, Dye and Dotel could really get a haul.

And lets not forget the potential boost from Beckham. It's too early to say, but what if this kid starts ripping it like he did through the minors? There are plenty of reasons to be positive about the Sox right now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)

If we had our best hitter in the lineup and still played like this, I would agree with you. We have a shot at the playoffs despite playing like horses*** for 2 months. You need to make that playoff run ESPECIALLY with a dominant Contreras. You make the playoffs and anything can happen, you ride the back of horse like Contreras at his best and your odds just increased that much more. Dominant Contreras= unlikely to be matched by anyone's ace.

I'm not suggesting he will take that 05/06 form, just saying any extended signs of CY Contreras should go towards a run not a fire sale. Pick up someone up with speed and an ops of >.750 and that could plug a hole in CF or 2b quite nicely, even SS as Lexi can go back to 2b.

I still have confidence in a lineup of

Podsednik

Getz/Beckham

TCQ

Thome

JD

Konerko

Lexi

AJ

Fields

And a rotation of

Cy Contreras

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Richard

Poreda

Carrasco

Dotel

Thornton

Linebrink

Jenks

If Contreras does blowup or get injured than it would be hard to argue a fire-sale. You just can't do it if he ACES it out the rest of the way.

1. weak division

2. TCQ would make a huge difference

3. Team full of Vets that we would only get .50 on the dollar anyway.

With an ace you make a run.

Edited by rangercal

I mean, how much respect can you have for a player?

1.potentially career ending injury-rehabs like crazy, comes back early and in better shape overall

2. realizes that his command isnt there and asks to be sent down

3. Works his ass off without a negative word in AAA on his stuff

4. comes back up and dominates.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
To the people who booed him at the park, you know who you are. Shame on you.

Somebody needed to say it. Thank You. Contreras has got way too much backlash from White Sox fans over the years that he simply does not deserve for all the dedication and innings he has given to this organization. The Wise hate is one thing and justified, booing a guy like Contreras just makes our fanbase look stupid. Not that I should waste too much time arguing it, the next time he goes out and walks 2 in an inning, the same following loser fans will be right there again up front to BOO as loud as they can. Some fans just love to hate because they get satifaction out of being right... "see I told ya he sucked." Either way I never could quite understand why people were so quick to jump off Contreras... and it's not that most of you expected more out of him, you just thought it was awful that he was still around here and blamed the front office for being neglegent. On the other hand, nobody ever claimed our fans to be so overly intelligent either. :huh

Either way, it sure is great to see Jose right back where he belongs. :cheers, Noob Saibot.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
If we had our best hitter in the lineup and still played like this, I would agree with you. We have a shot at the playoffs despite playing like horses*** for 2 months. You need to make that playoff run ESPECIALLY with a dominant Contreras. You make the playoffs and anything can happen, you ride the back of horse like Contreras at his best and your odds just increased that much more. Dominant Contreras= unlikely to be matched by anyone's ace.

I'm not suggesting he will take that 05/06 form, just saying any extended signs of CY Contreras should go towards a run not a fire sale. Pick up someone up with speed and an ops of >.750 and that could plug a hole in CF or 2b quite nicely, even SS as Lexi can go back to 2b.

I still have confidence in a lineup of

Podsednik

Getz/Beckham

TCQ

Thome

JD

Konerko

Lexi

AJ

Fields

And a rotation of

Cy Contreras

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Richard

Poreda

Carrasco

Dotel

Thornton

Linebrink

Jenks

If Contreras does blowup or get injured than it would be hard to argue a fire-sale. You just can't do it if he ACES it out the rest of the way.

1. weak division

2. TCQ would make a huge difference

3. Team full of Vets that we would only get .50 on the dollar anyway.

With an ace you make a run.

I'm not joking when I say this. But this post got me a little bit excited. Not sure how much I believe that any of it can realistically happen. I will agree that a dominant Jose Contreras changes the entire complexion of the division.