19 games left til the ASB

Greg Hibbard

we are 33-36 with 19 left til the break...

how many wins do you think we need going into the second half to be in it?

I think 43 is the minimum number, so we need to go 10-9. If we are 43-45 we still have a shot. 42-46 or worse and I think we're probably not going to make a serious run at the division.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
I think 43 is the minimum number, so we need to go 10-9. If we are 43-45 we still have a shot. 42-46 or worse and I think we're probably not going to make a serious run at the division.

I don't understand how one game is going to be the difference between us being in the hunt and completely done. The closer to .500 the better, but this division is so bad that the Sox could lose ground and still have a shot.

If the Sox are back at .500 by the break, I'll be feeling good about their chances.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
I don't understand how one game is going to be the difference between us being in the hunt and completely done. The closer to .500 the better, but this division is so bad that the Sox could lose ground and still have a shot.

If the Sox are back at .500 by the break, I'll be feeling good about their chances.

I think at 43 wins they still have an outside shot - not a good shot, but an outside shot

I think at 42 wins the shot becomes too long

I'm just talking about the threshold here.

Should be an interesting roller coaster before the ASB.

After the games this week against the Dodgers and the Cubs, we play 10 straight against Cleveland and Kansas City (3 at Cleveland, 4 at KC, 3 at home against Cleveland)... then 3 games in Minneapolis.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
I would be happy with 42 wins at the break. I think this division can be won with 85-77. Sox have to go 43-26 from here on out to get that. Doable.

I agree that it's doable, but this coming week will be huge. Taking 4 of 6 from the Dodgers and Cubs would be a great start. The Cubs series concerns me, not because I think the Cubs are a better team (they are not), but because it's a rivalry and these games take on a life of their own.

QUOTE (everafan @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
I think that psychologically it's important to be at .500 at the break. Within 3 games of 1st would be nice also.

Being at .500 would be very important. Not just because it gives them a better chance, but exactly what you said...it's psychological.

Edited by hogan873

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Should be an interesting roller coaster before the ASB.

After the games this week against the Dodgers and the Cubs, we play 10 straight against Cleveland and Kansas City (3 at Cleveland, 4 at KC, 3 at home against Cleveland)... then 3 games in Minneapolis.

So we have 6 at home, 7 on the road, 3 at home, then 3 on the road?

Let's put it this way...I want to see us continue to be right around .500 on the road (we're 17-18 on the road this season, nearly .500, which is respectable on the road for most teams) but we're 16-18 at home and it seems to be getting worse.

I want to see us put up some solid performances at home and get that monkey off our backs. If we're playing like crap at the Cell still, then we're not going to win this division.

Team has to start winning series, winning every series, at the Cell.

Sox home performance has been of an also ran, not a contender. The team isn't even over .500. That's not a contender. If we are not .500 at the break, forget it.

JD's OPS is 13th out of AL OF's this year. He's tied with Ben Zobrist for 5th among AL OF's with 15 home runs, but he's low on everything else.

From the stats, Zobrist, Hunter, Bay, Ichiro, Adam Jones, and a number of others are better AS OF candidates than JD unless he runs off a huge hot streak.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
JD's OPS is 13th out of AL OF's this year. He's tied with Ben Zobrist for 5th among AL OF's with 15 home runs, but he's low on everything else.

From the stats, Zobrist, Hunter, Bay, Ichiro, Adam Jones, and a number of others are better AS OF candidates than JD unless he runs off a huge hot streak.

zobrist seems to have settled into 2b since bartlett's return and iwamura's injury, with a few games in RF. not sure where he's listed on a ballot, if anywhere. not that it mtters, he wouldn't get voted in, he'd have to be a pick and I don't know where they'd slot him.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
I would be happy with 42 wins at the break. I think this division can be won with 85-77. Sox have to go 43-26 from here on out to get that. Doable.

19 games left . You want 42 wins by the AS break which is 9-10 in those 19 games giving the Sox a record of 42- 46. So to finish 85-77, the Sox need to finish 43-31 .