(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 10:46 PM)
It was only a week or two ago that I heard (for the first time) the original 1966 version of "After Midnight". Great song. RIP

The original "After Midnight" and "Cocaine" are both vastly superior to the Clapton versions in my opinion. I do, however, like Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Call Me the Breeze" and "I Got the Same Old Blues" better than Cale's originals.

This is a pretty tragic passing for the music world. JJ Cale is one of those guys that may not have been a household name, but everybody knew his work even if it was through Clapton or Skynyrd.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
Karen Black, 74. Best known for Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, The Great Gatsby, Trilogy of Terror, Burnt Offerings and Nashville. A great character actress.

The Trilogy of Terror horror anthology will be forever what I associate Karen Black with. That Zuni Devil Doll scared the $hit out of me when I was a kid and it was a big part of my formative childhood years as a lifelong fan of monster movies.

zuni.jpg

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

On the subject of the recently deceased, I was surprised that BigEd missed a big loss in the music world last week as he is usually very quick to post the passing of classic musicians.

Genre-bending jazz pioneer George Duke died last week at age 67 from leukemia. He was the keyboardist for my all-time favorite Mothers of Invention lineup and he was a big reason I branched out from rock and started becoming more diverse in my musical tastes and listening to jazz and funk and fusion as a kid.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
This is a little bit putting the cart before the horse, but its amazing that in this day and age people are still mixing alcohol and painkillers.

Its one thing to purposefully kill yourself, its another to just be stupid about drugs.

With all the people on prescription meds for anxiety, depression ... is it OK to get completely drunk 2-3 times a week when you are full of those type of meds?

Let's say you are on all sorts of anxiety stuff and high blood pressure medication and yet you drink like a fish. Could you just up and die one night?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
With all the people on prescription meds for anxiety, depression ... is it OK to get completely drunk 2-3 times a week when you are full of those type of meds?

Let's say you are on all sorts of anxiety stuff and high blood pressure medication and yet you drink like a fish. Could you just up and die one night?

Yes. They dont interact well and although you may feel ok, your organs are working overtime and sometimes your heart can just stop. Age doesnt really stop you from having this issue. A guy I know died like this a few years ago.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)

Depends what you're on. Some will just get you drunk faster. Also depends how many you're on. Fewer prescriptions, less likely to be problems.

In general, anxiety is treated with an SSRI. That's one of the ones that will just get you drunk faster.

Bottom line is to talk the prescribing doctor.

Edited by farmteam

They really use the term "star" loosely. I mean she was what, the 10th most important character on that show? Some episodes she didn't even appear in.

I think the younger you die, the less of a star you have to be for it to be news.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
They really use the term "star" loosely. I mean she was what, the 10th most important character on that show? Some episodes she didn't even appear in.

IIRC, she wasn't even in the series finale. I think Red even made mention of it. Something like "Has anyone seen Laurie lately?"