6/30 Game Thread Sox @ Cleveland 6:05pm CSN

knightni

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
I'd happily take a Joe Mauer, Albert Pujols etc for going through 1 bad year.

So if I told you we could get Bryce Harper if we lost the rest of our games this season you'd be cool with that?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Yep, Nationals fans should be praying they lose every game this season to get Bryce Harper.

Of course they should hope for that now. There season was over two weeks into April. But if they had to choose between the playoffs and Harper? I would think they would choose playoffs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
So if I told you we could get Bryce Harper if we lost the rest of our games this season you'd be cool with that?

Of course they should hope for that now. There season was over two weeks into April. But if they had to choose between the playoffs and Harper? I would think they would choose playoffs.

And we have Flowers already :gosoxretro:

How is Pujols an example of a high draft pick? Harper is represented by Boras. Not happening.

How about this instead: Don't sign players like Erstad for a "cheap" $1 million, invest it in scouting.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 02:00 AM)
How is Pujols an example of a high draft pick? Harper is represented by Boras. Not happening.

How about this instead: Don't sign players like Erstad for a "cheap" $1 million, invest it in scouting.

I'll never understand why more teams don't just budget 2-3 million dollars for above slot picks

Losing and getting a player like Mauer is nice, but you have to remember what losing does to fanbases, especially the White Sox. Mark Prior was picked before Mauer. Is he worth losing that many fans for a while? The Cubs could lose 120 games and the seats could face the street and they would still sell out, that's not the case with the Sox. The ideal thing is to win and draft like the Red Sox or get a guy like Pujols in the 13th round.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)

Like when they signed Mike Meyers. The probably paid him "only" about 300k, but wouldn't that have been better spent on a Dominican SS or something?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
Like when they signed Mike Meyers. The probably paid him "only" about 300k, but wouldn't that have been better spent on a Dominican SS or something?

At the time, that Dominican SS would have been some 24 year old with a falsified birth certificate.