Why this team COULD NOT and now WILL make playoffs

YonderLaroche

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)
This Sox team may make the playoffs, even without their best hitter gone for 2 months and hitting like garbage the month and half he was here. It's a question of making the playoffs and then playing their best ball in October. The sox don't have the talent other teams do. But stranger things have happened.

Yet the biggest cause for optimism is the sox young players coming up--both pitchers and position players. In all the key minor league teams [minus AAA, where most AAAA players stay to take up space], the sox are winning. And they have solid prospects on those teams moving up levels. With a solid farm system, a shrewd GM who knows how to get major league talent, a young core to build around, and a decent payroll, the sox are sitting in a position not only to make the playoffs each year, but to contend for titles. The sox have been able to re-make their roster without going through a prolonged stretch of unwatchable, losing baseball. So far, only 2007 was that.

The sox also may have added 4 long term players to build around this year--Beckham, Richard, Poreda, Getz, to go along with Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Alexei, Jenks. And Jordan Danks, Allen, Flowers and Viciedo don't look too far away.

All in all, I'd rather go into the playoffs with this roster than with last years. The sox are improving their big league club and esp. their minor league teams and talent. Not much more you can ask for.

Honestly, other than the Red Sox, who I feel are head and shoulders above everybody else in the AL, I don't really fear any other team out there. If we're firing on all cylinders, I'd like our chances against anybody aside from Boston.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 06:34 AM)
I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for a big disappointment if they think CQ is going to step right back in and dominate.

Honestly, isnt any production from Quentin at this point just bonus? The Sox are clicking right now on offense, Quentin provides another presence in the lineup, but it isnt as if the Sox offense struggles could be pinned on the absence of Quentin. I would lay most of the blame on complete lack of execution and coinciding slumps if anything

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
Simple... look at opening day roster and todays roster. Much more talent (minus Jimmy Gobble and missing CQ)

Opening day:

C- AJ P

1b- Konerko

2b- Getz

SS- Ramirez

3b- Fields/Beckham

RF- Dye

CF- Wise/Anderson

LF- Quentin/Pods

DH- Thome

Bench:

Betemit/Nix

Lillibridge/Fields

Corky/Castro

Anderson

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Colon/Richard

Not ready Contreras/ready Contreras

Macdougal/Poreda

Thorton

Dotel

Carrasco

Linebrink

Broadway/Gobble

All the Sox could use is a healthy CQ and I think they will have one of the best lineups in baseball and can easily take this division. Team got rid of the pudheads and are finally hitting. Mix in the good young talent, speed, and the great pitching and the easy schedule the next few weeks, I don't think first place is too far away.

What really bothers me though about this all, is that I think a good majority of us knew Anderson should play over Wise, that MacDougal, Lillibridge, and Broadway had no business on the roster, that Colon is finished, and that Josh Fields is not a starting 3rd baseman. My question is why is it so hard for Guillen to see all this. I know a couple of those guys cost us at least 1 or 2 wins. I know Pods has been a savior that no one and expected and you need to go through a little trial error, but if Guillen/KW realized all these things in the beginning of the year, like I think many people here saw, I think we would be sitting atop the division.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
Honestly, isnt any production from Quentin at this point just bonus? The Sox are clicking right now on offense, Quentin provides another presence in the lineup, but it isnt as if the Sox offense struggles could be pinned on the absence of Quentin. I would lay most of the blame on complete lack of execution and coinciding slumps if anything

Offensively, Quentin will be replacing Anderson/Wise in the lineup, as Ozzie has said Pods moves to CF when TCQ returns. So anything he gives us beyond what AnderWise has provided is a positive, and it shouldn't take him long to pass that bar and do a lot more.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
What really bothers me though about this all, is that I think a good majority of us knew Anderson should play over Wise, that MacDougal, Lillibridge, and Broadway had no business on the roster, that Colon is finished, and that Josh Fields is not a starting 3rd baseman. My question is why is it so hard for Guillen to see all this. I know a couple of those guys cost us at least 1 or 2 wins. I know Pods has been a savior that no one and expected and you need to go through a little trial error, but if Guillen/KW realized all these things in the beginning of the year, like I think many people here saw, I think we would be sitting atop the division.

I'm personally not sure about Fields yet, I think he was taken out when he was just starting to make positive adjustments. But Beckham has certainly adjusted quickly and has been great offensively, while learning a new position, so I can't complain really.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
I'm not going to make a prediction and say that the Sox will go to the playoffs. They may, especially if they continue to play like they have of late. This team, however, is very exciting to watch right now. And that is what makes me happy. We've got some young talent (and some not so young, Pods I'm looking at you) that are playing very well. The pitching is good, runners are getting on base, and bases are being stolen. Sure the homers are still there, and no one is going to complain about that, but we are starting to see more manufactured runs.

Playoff bound? Not sure yet. Team worth watching? Absolutely.

Great post.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
I'm personally not sure about Fields yet, I think he was taken out when he was just starting to make positive adjustments. But Beckham has certainly adjusted quickly and has been great offensively, while learning a new position, so I can't complain really.

You misunderstood me though, I said Fields was not a starting 3rd baseman, I don't think he can play the field adequately at all. I do see improvements in his swing, and I can realistically still see him hitting 20-25 hrs if he played full-time the remainder of this year (but he won't). That's why I can say there may be room on this squad for him as a possible 1B or DH when/if we lose PK or Thome next year. Personally, I'd rather him stop bothering w/ trying to learn the field, and get his offense polished to be a very positive offensive producer so we could fill the possible need of a DH or 1B internally, and it would also be for years to come... Not to mention we'd have a pretty young and talented infield in that event.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
You misunderstood me though, I said Fields was not a starting 3rd baseman, I don't think he can play the field adequately at all. I do see improvements in his swing, and I can realistically still see him hitting 20-25 hrs if he played full-time the remainder of this year (but he won't). That's why I can say there may be room on this squad for him as a possible 1B or DH when/if we lose PK or Thome next year. Personally, I'd rather him stop bothering w/ trying to learn the field, and get his offense polished to be a very positive offensive producer so we could fill the possible need of a DH or 1B internally, and it would also be for years to come... Not to mention we'd have a pretty young and talented infield in that event.

Interesting thought. Fields and Allen to replace Konerko and Thome (in either configuration)? I could see that being possible. Plus with Fields there you do still have a sub 3B on the team for the occasional off day for Viciedo or whomever ends up over there next year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
Offensively, Quentin will be replacing Anderson/Wise in the lineup, as Ozzie has said Pods moves to CF when TCQ returns. So anything he gives us beyond what AnderWise has provided is a positive, and it shouldn't take him long to pass that bar and do a lot more.

IF he remains healthy, which is why I say it is bonus. We all now know that one *pop* and Quentin is on the shelf for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 06:34 AM)
I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for a big disappointment if they think CQ is going to step right back in and dominate.

Yes, but if he steps in and is better than the Anderson/Wise platoon, the Sox are better than they are today and may win the division. If he takes another few weeks and is 75% the player he was last year, the Sox take the division.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)

And how many of those people said the same thing about Floyd, Pods and Count?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
And how many of those people said the same thing about Floyd, Pods and Count?

I think there's quite a difference between being able to see Dwayne Wise is not a major league starter than people saying Gavin Floyd might not be as good as he was last year.

The key is the pitching. We're currently 2nd in the AL in ERA. However, the Sox have been giving up more than half a run per game in unearned runs. There have been a lot of errors. If the main culprits can get their act together and play solid defense while adjusting to new positions (Beckham/Ramirez), this team has a great shot at the playoffs with a hopefully healthy Quentin returning, a future All-Star developing in Beckham and Poreda eventually stepping into the rotation.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
I think there's quite a difference between being able to see Dwayne Wise is not a major league starter than people saying Gavin Floyd might not be as good as he was last year.

I don't like Wise either, but I'm going to trust the guys who have a ring.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
I don't like Wise either, but I'm going to trust the guys who have a ring.

I agree. That comment was more of a criticism of Ozzie's ability to judge his players sometimes, or his inability to know who should play where, or when they hit in a lineup. I think Ozzie is very mediocre when it cmoes to doing those things. There is a laundry list of examples like MacDougal, Lillibridge playing over Nix, Fields hitting in the 2 hole, Wise leading-off, Richard not starting, etc. I mean, even Lexi batting in the 2 hole was a product of Joey cora in Guillen's absence. I know there are times when he makes the right move as well. I was just saying that I question his judgment sometimes.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)

Welcome aboard :gosoxretro:

The Sox needed to see what their players could do in the majors, given ample playing time. Instead of overpaying for vets and getting locked into bad deals [Milton Bradley, Gary Matthews Jr, Joe Crede, etc] the sox tried to strike gold with a young guy having a breakout year. What was the likelihood of all those guys doing well? 90-10 against. Yet is cost nothing except maybe a slow start. The Sox missed a few chances to improve. Yet they are sitting in a good position [financially and talent wise] for the rest of 2009 and beyond.

I for one wanted the sox to take a flyer on a CFer who was coming off a bad year in 2008, which wouldn't have cost a ton in terms of talent. Michael Bourn was one guy I thought could have been a good fit. I thought he had an upside that was better than Owens, Wise and BA. Yet I couldn't argue with the othe rmoves/ non-moves. Fields was just as good an option as any out there for 3b. It made sense to see what he could do when healthy. Colon was a cheap reclamation project, like most teams took a chance on a few guys becomeing a 5th SP/ 1st option in AAA. Lillibridge was at least a good field/ no hit guy--someone who could be a decent backup. The bullpen guys were no-risk, high reward. Some guys come out of nowhere in the pen and have good years.

Now, everybody has a sense of what all those players are about-fans and coaching staff both. That's why, after all is said and done, I'd expect none of those players you listed to be with the sox come Spring training 2010, with two already gone.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Welcome aboard :gosoxretro:

The Sox needed to see what their players could do in the majors, given ample playing time. Instead of overpaying for vets and getting locked into bad deals [Milton Bradley, Gary Matthews Jr, Joe Crede, etc] the sox tried to strike gold with a young guy having a breakout year. What was the likelihood of all those guys doing well? 90-10 against. Yet is cost nothing except maybe a slow start. The Sox missed a few chances to improve. Yet they are sitting in a good position [financially and talent wise] for the rest of 2009 and beyond.

I for one wanted the sox to take a flyer on a CFer who was coming off a bad year in 2008, which wouldn't have cost a ton in terms of talent. Michael Bourn was one guy I thought could have been a good fit. I thought he had an upside that was better than Owens, Wise and BA. Yet I couldn't argue with the othe rmoves/ non-moves. Fields was just as good an option as any out there for 3b. It made sense to see what he could do when healthy. Colon was a cheap reclamation project, like most teams took a chance on a few guys becomeing a 5th SP/ 1st option in AAA. Lillibridge was at least a good field/ no hit guy--someone who could be a decent backup. The bullpen guys were no-risk, high reward. Some guys come out of nowhere in the pen and have good years.

Now, everybody has a sense of what all those players are about-fans and coaching staff both. That's why, after all is said and done, I'd expect none of those players you listed to be with the sox come Spring training 2010, with two already gone.

Agreed... One guy who i would have loved the Sox take a shot at was Orlando Hudson, but I can't really complain with what Chris Getz has done for us this year at all.

I just don't see the CQ equation that some of you see, how does:

Mediocre to Average, then a little injury + Really Sucky, then major injury = Coming back and Mashing and Saving the offense?

I'd almost say there's as big a chance him coming back would actually HURT the line-up. Especially if you have a bunch of guys clicking like Dye, Paulie, Becks, Ramirez et al. You stick Carlos back in and he strikes out or grounds into double plays killing innings and such.

They just just shelve him for the season now, and hope against hope he can come back healthy in 2010. The team is doing okay with out him so far, and he wasn't exactly lighting up the world before his DL stint....

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)

Mediocre to Average, then a little injury + Really Sucky, then major injury = Coming back and Mashing and Saving the offense?

I'd almost say there's as big a chance him coming back would actually HURT the line-up. Especially if you have a bunch of guys clicking like Dye, Paulie, Becks, Ramirez et al. You stick Carlos back in and he strikes out or grounds into double plays killing innings and such.

They just just shelve him for the season now, and hope against hope he can come back healthy in 2010. The team is doing okay with out him so far, and he wasn't exactly lighting up the world before his DL stint....

I don't think the majority of us see the equation you put. More like this one: Quentin> Anderson/Wise/Fields/Nix =a more potent possibly lethal offense.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)

Quentin was not mediocre to average while healthy. He hasn't been healthy as far as I can tell since the end of the Tampa Bay Series. At that point he was leading the AL in home runs. And he personally beat the living daylights out of Tampa.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)

There is absolutely no way CQ can come back and hurt the lineup. I'm with you on the fact that I don't expect him to come back and be the 08 TCQ right away but he'd be replacing Wise/BA and he's better than those two with one arm and one leg, offensively. Defense is another story.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)

You knew Fields wasn't a starter before this year? Really? The 25 homers in 100 games was just a fluke? Would you have started the year with Beckham on the team?