Quentin Showing off in Charlotte

Is he? I never heard that. He always looked pretty good to me whenever I saw him play in previous years. Even though he's having a bad year this season, looking at his stats he'd still be an improvement for the Sox. If he really is a bad character guy as you say, then I wouldn't want any part of him. But I don't know that to be true.

From what I've gathered, he's extremely soft in the field (never dives, pulls up on fly balls near the wall), lazy out in the field, doesn't hustle much, thinks he's the greatest of all time, etc. Him and Vernon Wells are actually very similar, and some Jays fans feel it is because of Wells influence on Rios is why he has become the player he is now.

Also, there is this nice video of Rios not only ignoring a kid who wants an autograph, but he starts swearing at a heckler. I've read that on this day, Rios also went 0-5 with 5 K's. So the heckler had a pretty good point.

He is loaded with potential and is a 5 tool player, but as the guy stated in the video, Rios is a bum. Most Toronto fans can't stand him (or Wells) and want him gone.

Edited by BearSox

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
Are you aware that Toronto is apparently asking for Clay Bucholz for Scott Rolen?

:lolhitting

If that's true, then there's no serious mandate for them to cut salary and it's time to just start closing threads.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)

If that's true, then there's no serious mandate for them to cut salary and it's time to just start closing threads.

Really. That makes no sense at all. I've always felt that 90% of what we hear/read as far as trade rumors are concerned is either pure BS or misinformation anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Funny you say that, because the Trib is making it sound like when TCQ comes back, it may not be Wise, or even Anderson, that is out of a job... but Fields.

I don't get it.

So who would play first when Konerko is off? That doesn't make any sense to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)

What do you expect him to ask for? Of course he is going to shoot for the stars. Just gives him more room to come down.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
Hmmmmm. Then I guess I'll retract my plan.

I'd still like to have Halliday and Rolen, though. Beckham needs to be moved to his future home of 2B ASAP. Rolen's bat and glove would help the Sox and again adding Halliday without giving up Buehrle, Danks or Floyd makes the Sox very dangerous in the playoffs.

Halladay and Rolen would cost probably 5 prospects, and neither would be around past 2010. Losing something along the lines of Richard, Poreda, Flowers, Jordan Danks, and Hudson for one half year (Rolen) and a one and a half year (Halladay) rental is not something that looks good. It's also not KW's M.O. If he trades for someone good, he's either not going to give up a lot (Colon), he's going to look for a player with time left on the arbitration clock (Pena) or he's going to look to resign the player (Garcia). And they are all going to be relatively young too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
So who would play first when Konerko is off? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Well, I'm sure a guy like Nix COULD play 1B, so could Dye, but neither of them are going to be particularly good over there right now.

Plus with Beckham struggling a bit defensively, Fields' ability to play 3B as a backup also becomes important.

This all really makes no sense. If they keep Wise and send down Fields, giving them 2 backup OF's and just Nix for the entire IF, I will not be happy.

Carlos is back in Charlotte.

After playing at Single-A Kannapolis during the Triple-A All-Star break, outfielder Carlos Quentin has been reassigned to Triple-A Charlotte, where he will play left field Thursday night.Quentin could return to the Chicago White Sox soon if he plays well and has no setbacks the next couple of days.

Actually, he may be back Friday according to Rotowire.

Carlos Quentin: Friday Return? - 7/16/2009 1:13:30 PM

Update:

Quentin (plantar fascitis) played six innings in the field during a rehab appearance Tuesday and could return to the White Sox on Friday, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Recommendation:

Manager Ozzie Guillen is expected to slate Quentin down in the lineup and remove him for defensive purposes late in games. He also may be used as the DH with left-handers on the mound. Be prepared to get him back in your lineup.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3286249.story

Chicago White Sox expect a lift from Carlos Quentin

But they know they can't count too much on slugger's return

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

July 16, 2009

The assumption is obvious, but hitting coach Greg Walker knows better than to expect that the White Sox offense will be fortified automatically with the imminent return of slugger Carlos Quentin.

"You never know what you're going to get," Walker said of Quentin, who hit a team-leading 36 homers in 2008 but has been sidelined since May 25 because of a tendon tear in his left foot. "Obviously, Carlos had an unbelievably good year last year.

"But we can't sit back and expect him to be the MVP of the second half. Believe me, we'd love for it to happen and we'll take it if he does it, but we'll keep doing what we're doing."

Quentin could return to the Sox's lineup as soon as Friday night against Baltimore. In his last rehab appearance Tuesday night for Class A Kannapolis, he went 0-for-1 with two walks and played six innings in left field.

Related links

Phil Rogers: A bunch of drama ahead in second half

Carlos Quentin in action Carlos Quentin in action Photos

2009 Chicago White Sox results, schedule

Given that he has a foot injury and that Jermaine Dye has stabilized the third spot he once occupied, Quentin could hit somewhere lower in the order to prevent clogging the base paths.

Manager Ozzie Guillen also plans to pull Quentin out of games in the later innings for defensive purposes and to take stress off his foot. Before leaving the team July 4 to start his minor-league rehabilitation assignment at Triple-A Charlotte, Quentin received a shipment of special shoes designed to take pressure off his foot and still provide traction.

Thanks to the emergence of Scott Podsednik and Alexei Ramirez at the top of the order and the development of rookies Gordon Beckham and Chris Getz at the bottom, the Sox offense has flourished since Quentin went on the disabled list.

"When a guy goes down, you learn to adjust for the first week," Paul Konerko said. "That's the nature of the game. There are going to be injuries and guys out. You just deal with it.

"But truthfully, we were in such a bad rut early in the season to get things going that I think you assume everyone keeps working hard, which we have, and it would come around.

"You can point to Pods making a gigantic difference and getting things going. It's such a crucial spot in the order. [but] I just thing you have a bunch of hitters with pretty good histories that at some point it's going to click.

"That's what we're doing right now. Hopefully we can keep [Quentin] going when he comes back. It will feel like a big trade when we get him back."

Because Guillen has given more days off to Jim Thome against left-handed starters, Quentin could serve as the designated hitter to alleviate more strain on his foot as well as add another right-handed bat in the lineup.

In addition to surviving without Quentin, the Sox offense has fared well without a power surge from Thome, whose three-run homer Sunday was his first since June 26 against the Cubs' Randy Wells.

"To pinpoint why you've done well when you've taken an MVP bat out of the lineup is hard to describe," Thome said. "It's tough. You never imagine losing a bat like that, but it's a plus when you get him back.

"It gives you a little more versatility with your club. You can rest your guys and don't necessarily have to throw him right back in the mix. Obviously you want to, but here you're capable of giving him more days off to help him get through it. And in the meantime, you have us guys in the middle to pick up some of the offensive production as well."

mgonzales@tribune.com

Plays involving TCQ so far tonight:

Carlos Quentin singles on a ground ball to left fielder Joey Gathright. Miguel Negron scores. Eider Torres to 2nd.

Josh Kroeger strikes out on foul tip.

Michael Restovich reaches on throwing error by third baseman Melvin Dorta. Eider Torres scores. Carlos Quentin to 3rd. Michael Restovich to 2nd.

Daryle Ward singles on a ground ball to center fielder Justin Christian. Carlos Quentin scores. Michael Restovich scores.

---

Carlos Quentin doubles (2) on a ground ball to left fielder Joey Gathright.

Josh Kroeger flies out to right fielder Jeff Fiorentino. Carlos Quentin to 3rd.

---

Carlos Quentin pops out to first baseman Brandon Snyder in foul territory.

----

Carlos Quentin grounds into double play, shortstop Blake Davis to second baseman Justin Turner to first baseman Brandon Snyder. Miguel Negron out at 2nd.

---

REALLY good sign if he tagged up on a fly ball to right.

If he's not 100% this is a bad move to rush him back up. If he's running fine than I'm all for it.

The whole "will be replaced for defense in the later innings" make me think they'll keep Anderson and DFA Wise, but who knows what goes on in Ozzie's head...

i was at this game tonight in Norfolk 1st row on the third baseline but i had to leave during the 7th inning but from what i saw of him he was running around all day with no pain it looked like. He even tagged up at 2nd on a fly ball to right field forcing a throw to third base but he was safe. His swing seems good. Hopefully he will be back in the sox lineup soon. Cant say the same for Wilson Betemit though he's right where he belongs although he hit a HR in one of his AB's tonight....Flowers looked pretty good out there tonight as well....

Edited by beckham15

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
Well, I'm sure a guy like Nix COULD play 1B, so could Dye, but neither of them are going to be particularly good over there right now.

Plus with Beckham struggling a bit defensively, Fields' ability to play 3B as a backup also becomes important.

This all really makes no sense. If they keep Wise and send down Fields, giving them 2 backup OF's and just Nix for the entire IF, I will not be happy.

Bet you never thought you would say that Fields defense is important, eh?

The only thing I can think of, is that Ozzie might want to take both TCQ and Pods out of some games. If that's the case, and Fields is sent down, you have Nix, Wise and BA that can all play the OF. Fields can't. Ozzie tends to like UT players that play IF and OF (Uribe excluded). I'm not saying it's right, that's what I thought of when they mentioned Fields being sent down.

White Sox LF Carlos Quentin (left foot plantar fasciitis) is still up to a week away from returning to the team because he isn't running well in rehab games, manager Ozzie Guillen said.
link

Please go get Hermida and Teahen