If you won the lottery, what would you do with your life?

Marky Mark

If you won a net amount of about 30 million after taxes and fees, what would you do? Live a life of luxury? Give away every penny? Quit your job?

If I won, I think I'd try very hard to live my life trying to help people in need as my full time job without spoiling myself. But I gotta say, once you have the money, that'd be very hard to do....

What kind of things would you guys do?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a summer home in Juneau, Alaska.

Have a winter home here and South Beach.

Upgrade my Hawks season tickets to row 3, upper deck, right at center ice.

Upgrade my Bears season tickets to 1 of the upper deck, right at mid-field.

Get a Sox half-season plan on their dugout.

Go on a 10-day cruise of New England with my parents.

Buy my parents a house in Maine on the ocean.

Buy my oldest brother a house in San Diego on the ocean.

Buy my 2nd oldest brother a house in Arizona.

Get Shoeless Joe in the HOF.

I'd live frugally with it.

I don't need a big house, so I'd be perfectly fine living in a small 2 or 3 bedroom house or condo.

I don't need a fancy car, just a fuel-efficient car that can get me from point a to point b.

I'd rather just put all the money in the bank and continue living life as if everything's normal.

I also wouldn't quit my job, either.

I remember awhile ago addressing this issue of winning the lottery. It's the WORST thing that could happen to your life. Money changes everything; relationships, friendships, suddenly everywhere you go people want something. The most important part for me wouldn't be what I spend it on, but how I remain anonymous.

Here's what I'd do, and I know I said it before -- I'd offer a proposal to someone rich (like Donald Trump) to split the winnings in half if there is absolutely no public acknowledgment of my involvement. Set up someone to claim the prize and address the media, do whatever you feel, but I in no way want anything tied to me.

Even if that means lying to everyone and being selfish, aside from just my closest family members/wife, it's better in the long run. This way I could live comfortably, but not have the burdon of a large family (and my dad was from a family of 13, mom 11, so this applies to me) looking for handouts and wondering why they cant have a few thousand here or there.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:31 AM)
Have a summer home in Juneau, Alaska.

Have a winter home here and South Beach.

Upgrade my Hawks season tickets to row 3, upper deck, right at center ice.

Upgrade my Bears season tickets to 1 of the upper deck, right at mid-field.

Get a Sox half-season plan on their dugout.

Go on a 10-day cruise of New England with my parents.

Buy my parents a house in Maine on the ocean.

Buy my oldest brother a house in San Diego on the ocean.

Buy my 2nd oldest brother a house in Arizona.

Get Shoeless Joe in the HOF.

Your family seems to be a fan of separation :P

Edited by kev211

1. Set up trust funds for my kids.
  2. Set up my parents and a few other relatives and friends for the rest of their lives.
  3. Start a foundation.
  4. Buy 35 to 40 foot sailboat and spend a couple years on a circumnavigation with a close friend of mine.
  5. Settle down to read a lot of books.

First thing I'd do is retire and never work a single minute again in my life.

I would invest $15M of it in the sharemarket / managed funds etc. to make sure I get a steady cash flow from that for the next 30-40 years.

With the other $15M, I'd buy houses in London, Seattle, Phoenix, San Diego, Chicago and Manhattan.

I would basically spend all of my years jetting around to those places and living a life of luxury.

But I'd also let my Dad be able to go into early retirement, and help out other family members and friends where needed.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 05:30 AM)
With the other $15M, I'd buy houses in London, Seattle, Phoenix, San Diego, Chicago and Manhattan.

Are you buying the homes as investments? At some point I think I would rather rent short term in a few places.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 06:20 AM)
I'd try like hell to let as few people know I'm rich as possible. I have a lot of dumbass friends and a massive family.

I'd also like to add, I would throw a party for Lostfan and all of his facebook friends. :lol:

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:17 AM)
I remember awhile ago addressing this issue of winning the lottery. It's the WORST thing that could happen to your life. Money changes everything; relationships, friendships, suddenly everywhere you go people want something. The most important part for me wouldn't be what I spend it on, but how I remain anonymous.

Here's what I'd do, and I know I said it before -- I'd offer a proposal to someone rich (like Donald Trump) to split the winnings in half if there is absolutely no public acknowledgment of my involvement. Set up someone to claim the prize and address the media, do whatever you feel, but I in no way want anything tied to me.

Even if that means lying to everyone and being selfish, aside from just my closest family members/wife, it's better in the long run. This way I could live comfortably, but not have the burdon of a large family (and my dad was from a family of 13, mom 11, so this applies to me) looking for handouts and wondering why they cant have a few thousand here or there.

Totally agree on this one.

I'd rather win $1M, than some huge jackpot. With a million, you could pay off mortgages, set up college funds for your kids, maybe go on a vacation a little more luxurious than normal, invest a little... but still not have anyone know it happened. The minute everyone knows you won some gian bog of money, your life is screwed up.