If you won the lottery, what would you do with your life?

Marky Mark

Pay off my debts (and my parents), buy my sister a nice house near her job. Donate a crapload to my alma mater (start a scholarship fund and maybe part of a building fund).

I would keep teaching, I think. But I would travel, travel, travel. And buy a really nice sewing machine.

And maybe open an animal sanctuary.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Are you buying the homes as investments? At some point I think I would rather rent short term in a few places.

Possibly. I would probably have people living in them when I'm not using them.

But property is certainly one area you could make a bit of $$$$ especially with $15M - $30M to use.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
My biggest dream left would be to own a minority share of the White Sox and sit on its board of directors.

I would BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you at Soxfest.

2 chicks at the same time

Sorry. Is that joke played out? Probably.

Seriously, though, I'd like to think it wouldn't change me too much. Hopefully I'd buy some very nice things for my immediate family (new houses, cars, pay off student loans, etc), and then invest the rest and live very comfortably, but not over-the-top.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:54 AM)
Your family seems to be a fan of separation :P

I went to Alaska and I loved it. I hate the heat in Chicago in the summer so the occasional 2 week stay here and there up in Juneau at 65-70 every day would be outstanding. I'd have to keep a house here in Chicago in the winter to hit Hawks and Bears games with my ST's, but I'd also have a house in South Beach for when the Bears are done for the year. My parents love the weather up in New England. My brother loves San Diego, and my other one just likes the heat in Arizona, so that's that.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
I went to Alaska and I loved it. I hate the heat in Chicago in the summer so the occasional 2 week stay here and there up in Juneau at 65-70 every day would be outstanding. I'd have to keep a house here in Chicago in the winter to hit Hawks and Bears games with my ST's, but I'd also have a house in South Beach for when the Bears are done for the year. My parents love the weather up in New England. My brother loves San Diego, and my other one just likes the heat in Arizona, so that's that.

As a former Texas resident I have to say this...you don't know heat.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
If you won a net amount of about 30 million after taxes and fees, what would you do?

1) I would pay off the mortgage on my parents house and my and my wife's college loans.

2) Donate $5-8 million to my church. They have a roughly $3 million mortgage that they are having a hard time paying off and the principal at the school really wants/needs a new gym. They can stick the balance in a fund that pays out $100,000 each year until it is depleted.

3) Buy about 100 acres of land in Iowa near where my wife grew up. Convert 10 acres into my personal property and rent out the rest for farming.

4) Start a business... probably a restaurant.

5) Put $200,000 into an education fund for my child(ren). The balanced not used for college can go towards their first house.

6) Buy an RV and travel America in my free time.

I should have about $15-20 million left over at this point. Just use that to live off of. But not more than $100,000 a year. Upon the the death of myself and my wife, the balance gets donated to a charity.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
As a former Texas resident I have to say this...you don't know heat.

As someone who spent 3 days in KC last year for a Sox series and sat in 110 heat index everyday, as someone who spent 3 days in Cincinnati this year for a Sox series with a 100 heat index everyday, and as someone who has been to Vegas in July three times for a week each time....I know heat.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
As someone who spent 3 days in KC last year for a Sox series and sat in 110 heat index everyday, as someone who spent 3 days in Cincinnati this year for a Sox series with a 100 heat index everyday, and as someone who has been to Vegas in July three times for a week each time....I know heat.

While that may be hot in the short term...it's not 100+ heat index for an entire summer. Kap? Tex? Wanna join me on this one.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
While that may be hot in the short term...it's not 100+ heat index for an entire summer. Kap? Tex? Wanna join me on this one.

I spent three years in Houston, and the humidity was just outrageous. Those were HOT summers.

It's actually cool out right now. It's 97. So cool in fact, we went for a 1.5 hour bike ride today. It's way hotter to live here a whole summer then to just visit somewhere for a week or two.

Today in McAllen, TX., where I live 10 months a year, it was 111 actual temperature. Here on South Padre Island, where I summer, it was low 90s. We have had streaks of 100 plus days of 100 plus heat. But we've also had 100 plus days in winter between 50 and 80.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
I spent three years in Houston, and the humidity was just outrageous. Those were HOT summers.

Houston humidity is crazy. Almost as bad as St. Louis, Misery