The Military

BobDylan

So, yeah, I'm thinking of joining the forces. Been thinking along the lines of the Navy, Air-Force or Coast Guard.

Basically, I'm tried of this s***ty economy, tired of this s***ty job I have even with this fantastic city I live in. Hell, even if I were offered a better job, I'm not sure I'd want it. Working behind a desk for somebody isn't something I really want to do now, or ever. For whatever up reason, I've wanted to install cable for people because it seems like an easy job that pays well enough. I can't get that f***ing job.

So, the Navy intrigues me because I'd basically get paid to work on a boat and see the world. The Coast Guard could keep me in the states (possibly even on the West Coast) and I could rescue downed fishermen. The Air-Force... hell, I don't know. Truth be told, I don't know a lot about any of the branches - that's why I'm posting this.

What do you guys know? Is anybody in the military, or has anybody been? What's it like? I'm still a young guy, so I have time and it seems like it'd be better to do this than work s*** jobs for the next few years. Those crappy jobs will always be here. If I'm 40, well, the military is much less of an option. So it kind of seems like now or never.

Edited by BobDylan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things I can tell you...

--Coast Guard A-school, what you need to be rescue personnel, is incredibly difficult. Like, ask guys in other services, they'll tell you the CG rescue school is harder than any of the boot camps the other services have, and its awfully hard for those guys to admit that sort of thing. Just keep that in mind. And if you don't pass that, you end up doing other CG duties, which may be no fun at all.

--Being in the navy isn't being paid to go see the world. Its being paid, very little, to live on a boat with hundreds of other men, cramped quarters, disgusting facilities, and a thin patina of some unknown substance on metal walls. There are some good reasons to join the navy, but you make it sound like a chance to see the world - that is only a tiny part of things.

My best advice on considering the military (and I have only considered it, not done it), is to talk to people who have actually been in. Multiple people, as many as you can find.

You'd better be God-damned certain you want to dedicate a large chunk of your life to the military before joining up. I've got a buddy who was thinking along the same lines as you and regretted it ever since.

If you don't like your job, get a new one, but you'll probably like the armed forces a LOT less.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 06:30 AM)
So, yeah, I'm thinking of joining the forces. Been thinking along the lines of the Navy, Air-Force or Coast Guard.

Basically, I'm tried of this s***ty economy, tired of this s***ty job I have even with this fantastic city I live in. Hell, even if I were offered a better job, I'm not sure I'd want it. Working behind a desk for somebody isn't something I really want to do now, or ever. For whatever up reason, I've wanted to install cable for people because it seems like an easy job that pays well enough. I can't get that f***ing job.

So, the Navy intrigues me because I'd basically get paid to work on a boat and see the world. The Coast Guard could keep me in the states (possibly even on the West Coast) and I could rescue downed fishermen. The Air-Force... hell, I don't know. Truth be told, I don't know a lot about any of the branches - that's why I'm posting this.

What do you guys know? Is anybody in the military, or has anybody been? What's it like? I'm still a young guy, so I have time and it seems like it'd be better to do this than work s*** jobs for the next few years. Those crappy jobs will always be here. If I'm 40, well, the military is much less of an option. So it kind of seems like now or never.

my best friend took a similar track. college degree, supersmart, and hyperliterate but had no idea what he wanted to do so he joined the navy a year or so after he graduated. thing is, you get a job in the navy. a lot of those jobs are just as s***ty as civilian jobs. he's an electrician now, and that's a fine job for some peeps but he ain't liked it, and he hasn't been able to move into any of the areas of the navy he actually wants to work. he's seen the world some, but like NSS says he's seen a lot more of cramped quarters, empty ocean, and whatever town his ship's been based in, and he didn't see the birth of his first son (didn't even meet his first son till the kid was about six months old) and couldn't come to my wedding even though he would've been best man.

all of which isn't to say you shouldn't sign up. i know you write, which my friend doesn't, and there's a long tradition of writers who've served in the navy and on merchantmen, whalers, etc just to travel and experience things to milk for their writing. the pay's not good, but i don't get the sense from talking to my friend that it's quite as bad as NSS suggests, and the benefits are really good. in fact they're the reason he's renewed his contract a couple of times now despite not caring for the work--the medical bennies for his family.

but yeah, what other people said: talk to as many people as you can about whatever branch you're considering. it ain't a decision to make lightly.

It also depends on your situation and your station in life as well. One of my wife's friends from college. He got laid off from his job, didn't like his choice in careers and decided to join the army. He was either at 30 or close to it. We all told him he was nuts. He wound up getting into military intelligence in the Army. He happens to love it. And now he is making a career out of it. He is currently in the middle east on a tour right now.

I have had my mix of family and friends that have been in the military. A few have liked it, most were happy when they got out. All of them say its not what they think it is. Its not like what you see on TV or in a movie.

I'm aware that it'll be no picnic in the park. If it were, everyone would do it.

That said, the benefits are something I've greatly taken into consideration. The pay doesn't bother me much - I live frugally anyway. Boot camp, cramped quaterts, etc. that doesn't bother me. Probably not much worse than high school basketball practice. It is the time commitment that gets to me. If I sign the papers, I can't walk away. If the Navy is called to war, I have to go - (that's why I'm not considering the Marines or the Army.)

As it's been pointed out, a good chunk of enlisting is to find stories. Sure, there have been hermit writers, but there were more that went out and did things like this. I just can't find any excitement in working at a convenience store, or behind a desk writing for a bad TV-show. (The first part is what I do now, the second part is a job I was offered this morning.)

I spend a far amount of time with the Coasties. You will be on Homeland Security missions, not rescuing many fisherman. The days the Coast Guard could actually help a boater are almost gone. Now they drop a pump and tell you to call back if it gets worse. The advantage are the nice facilities and locations. The disadvantage are some of the facilities and locations. The station here on South Padre has gone from pretty laid back and casual to hard core military and somewhere in-between, depending on who is in command.

What I think is cool is your class rank determines how close to your top choice you will get.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
I spend a far amount of time with the Coasties. You will be on Homeland Security missions, not rescuing many fisherman. The days the Coast Guard could actually help a boater are almost gone. Now they drop a pump and tell you to call back if it gets worse. The advantage are the nice facilities and locations. The disadvantage are some of the facilities and locations. The station here on South Padre has gone from pretty laid back and casual to hard core military and somewhere in-between, depending on who is in command.

What I think is cool is your class rank determines how close to your top choice you will get.

Interesting. Especially the last note.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
Interesting. Especially the last note.

After training you submit your choices and they match you starting with the #1 graduate. At least that is what I was told last year when I was over at their station.

Both of my parents were in the army. My dad seemed not to mind it, my mom kinda wishes that she never went through with it but doesn't regret it.

With that being said, my mom has never really demanded that I do anything with my life...the one thing she did request though is that I don't go into the armed forces...

My brother was enlisted in the Navy for six years, including several years aboard the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan when it was in the Persian Gulf for the Iraq War. From what I recall, he has toured the following locations: Qatar, Sudan, Turkey, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Australia, Philippines. He loved his experience, and if he didn't have a child on the way would have stayed longer.

QUOTE (Kenny_Powers @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:28 AM)
i hope i gave you some good advice on aim, if you have any more questions u can feel free to ask. and dont think of me as a recruiter either because i wont be getting any of the 1k dollars if u do decide to sign up lol

Hey don't forget me. I made it all possible dammit!! :lol:

lol but yeah the most important things man, make sure ur ready to be away from home for a really nice chunk of a 4 year contract.. im talking like youre going to get one 4 day weekend a month. and thats not counting deployments, but since i dont think ur going to join the army or marines, ur deployments would be cake anways. and regardless of what anyone tells you, the military is a physically demanding job BUT at the same time its pretty simple. you should see the yokels they recruit that come from farms in omaha that can barely read, but make good soldiers because they can follow orders... welll..... some of em... :unsure:

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:00 AM)
I never understood why people do not mind being slaves as long as they get benefits.

My advice for you is do something you love and find a way to get paid well for it. Until that is accomplished, make that your # 1 priority in life.

eh, maybe because some of us know people that were in the WTC when it was destroyed and felt the need to go out and do something to help instead of sitting on a chair waving a mini american flag and pretending to love their country for a few months until the "craze" was over.

QUOTE (Kenny_Powers @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 05:03 AM)
eh, maybe because some of us know people that were in the WTC when it was destroyed and felt the need to go out and do something to help instead of sitting on a chair waving a mini american flag and pretending to love their country for a few months until the "craze" was over.

Sorry for the confusion. My post was not directed towards the military, I was talking about people taking on jobs/careers in general that they do not exactly love, but do it for the benefits.

i also cant see how working for the military is slave work. i work a regular 9-5 for the army just like civilians work their "9-5" at their jobs. only difference is we have to work out at 7am every morning and of course the deployments that we signed up for. i bet theres people out there that still think we live out of tents and eat spam for dinner, or that we have no weekends or vacation time..

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 03:21 AM)
Sorry for the confusion. My post was not directed towards the military, I was talking about people taking on jobs/careers in general that they do not exactly love, but do it for the benefits.

i apologize as well.. touchy subject for me because i get this discussion a lot about people who no doubtedly signed up for the free health care and massive amounts of bonus money as well as the ever steady pay check.