2 more possible Trade Options

DBAHO

So reading through the news today, I saw these 2 things;

Padres GM Kevin Towers indicated Thursday that Brian Giles will be stuck behind the club's young outfielders upon his return from the disabled list.

The Padres want Chase Headley, Tony Gwynn Jr., Will Venable and Kyle Blanks getting the outfield at-bats, which leaves Giles as the odd-man out. "I don't see Giles taking playing time away from those four," Towers said. Giles has been shelved since June 19 with a right knee contusion and there is no time table for his return. He's batting just .191/.277/.271 in 225 at-bats this season. One option: Eat the remainder of his $9 million contract.

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox "are willing to assume virtually all of shortstop Julio Lugo's remaining salary in a trade."

They've informed teams of this too, according to Rosenthal's sources. That should allow a deal to move quickly, perhaps before Mike Lowell and Jed Lowrie are ready to rejoin the club. Lugo, 33, is batting .284 this season with a .352 on-base percentage and eight RBI in 123 plate appearances.

So it looks like Giles and Lugo are both very much available. Giles has struggled terribly this season, but has an excellent history of getting on base and being a good solid LHH. Depending if Quentin gets back to 100%, could Giles be a possible alternative in the OF?

As for Lugo, if the Red Sox are willing to pay the remainder of his contract, I'd certainly look into acquiring him depending on the cost. Ramirez could move back to 2B, however, he has actually been better than Lugo has defensively this season, albeit the errors.

Any other thoughts on these 2?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
So reading through the news today, I saw these 2 things;

So it looks like Giles and Lugo are both very much available. Giles has struggled terribly this season, but has an excellent history of getting on base and being a good solid LHH. Depending if Quentin gets back to 100%, could Giles be a possible alternative in the OF?

As for Lugo, if the Red Sox are willing to pay the remainder of his contract, I'd certainly look into acquiring him depending on the cost. Ramirez could move back to 2B, however, he has actually been better than Lugo has defensively this season, albeit the errors.

Any other thoughts on these 2?

Can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
One guy is hitting .191, the other has 8 RBI in 124 ABs. Both are old. No thanks.

Look at Giles' numbers away from PETCO just from last season though.

.316/.403/.488.

He'd be the type of buy low type of guy I could see KW enquiring about, and hoping that he could get back to his old form.

If the Padres were going to swallow his contract, I'd certainly take him over DeWayne Wise that's for sure.

I'd take Lugo for nothing if we needed a guy to sit on the bench, play the field once per week, and also pinch hit every once in a while, but we've already got a better version of that in Jayson Nix. And if anyone is moving to 2B it should be Gordon IMO.

Giles, if the Pads eat his contract and we could acquire him for very little, would be a fit if CQ either doesn't stick around long when he comes back or won't be able to play the field regularly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 12:30 AM)
but even for Giles, you are implying that is in case CQ doesn't work out. The deadline is in like, 15 days, would you really write out CQ after that much time, enough to block him?

Giles' contract will have no trouble whatsoever getting through waivers. The waiver deadline and playoff roster deadline is August 31, so we'd have a month and a half to make a decision on CQ. And not only would it give Giles more regular playing time to get back on track, but it would also mean more of his yearly salary is paid. On top of that, we wouldn't make that deal unless we were a playoff contender at the time, and if we are, being that Giles has a full NTC, it would make him likelier to waive that NTC to come here.

Of course there might be other contenders looking for bats around that time too, but there is sure to be quite a few big bats hitting waivers around then. Non-contending teams that have players who either will not qualify for Type A or Type B status or who make too much money to be offered arb over the offseason will want to dump salary at the end of the year when tickets have been sold and walk-ups are dwindling.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

I'd pass on both. Neither of them would be good fits on the sox, IMO. Instead of Lugo, the Sox at least have Nix who has some upside at little cost. Does Giles still have a NTC? Either way, I'd rather stick with Quentin and see if he can come back.

I still would like the sox to trade Dotel for a young OFer [AA, AAA] who could be called up and be a factor should an injury occur. Preferably a LHB.

I'd be more interested in eating Barry Zito’s salary and seeing if we could get Tim Alderson or Madison Baumgarner in return for one our bats. Picking up Hermida For Dotel afterwards could help fill a hole. I've been tossing around this idea, so no need to bash, i realize the guy is a) expensive and B) sucks and we're very much in the race with the team as is.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Even if we took all of Zito's contract- i dont think theyre moving Alderson or Baumgarner...In fact, I think their front office said they wouldnt deal either of them for any bat.

That'd be the smart thing to do. DFA Zito or just dump him straight up. Promote Alderson and Baumgarner to AAA and have them establish a relationship with Buster Posey

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
DBAHO is on par with Hawk Harrelson as a GM.

Are you basing that on my OOTP experience? :P

I mean obviously though the Sox are not going to bring in a star player at the deadline or anything, but I think they'll be a buyer at least, although as Alex said, I think they'll actually bring in Garland if Richard doesn't pick it up, although I don't think that's a great move.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
That'd be the smart thing to do. DFA Zito or just dump him straight up. Promote Alderson and Baumgarner to AAA and have them establish a relationship with Buster Posey

Ya's tough to gauge obviously but if either of those two can live up to their potential and they manage to hang onto Lincecum and Cain. Yikes.

If I had both of them as they do now - I wouldnt deal either of them. If they both reach max potential - wow. If Lincecum becomes to pricey or even Cain - you have fallback options and it's quite possible they can help them win by next season.

I'll quote Josh Hamilton in saying "Look out".

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:48 AM)
I'd rather get Mora or Huff to play 3B and move Beckham to 2B.

Wow, I had no idea how far Mora had fallen off in the last couple of years. I wonder if he was using the Tejada method for success? His 08 was good, but really you have to go back to 05 to find another decent year.