We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and to think I was laughed at even on this board after selling high on Torii Hunter to get Beckham straight up a couple months back. Forget Hunter, he's outscored Ryan Braun and Manny over the past couple weeks.

From cbssports:

Gordon Beckham, SS/3B, White Sox

Do people not realize he qualifies at shortstop? I mean, he plays third base for the White Sox, so maybe if you just glanced at the box scores, you might have missed that little detail. But surely you didn't. Surely you went to your league's stats page. Surely you sorted by position. Surely you noticed Beckham outpacing everyone else available at the position over the last three or four weeks. Surely.

His emergence hasn't come quietly or gradually. In standard Head-to-Head scoring, he's averaging 24.2 points over the last five weeks, which is more than Hanley Ramirez is averaging this season (21.6).

Yeah, he's hot. Yeah, he won't sustain quite this pace from now until Sept. 30, but the fact he can sustain it at all is a testament to his ability and preparedness. After a 2-for-28 stretch to begin his major-league career, he's batting .355 in 155 at-bats.

Let's not forget this is a guy so naturally gifted the White Sox considered putting him on the roster right out of spring training, before he had even played a game at Double-A ball. His hitting is consistent, his power is emerging, and outside of Hanley Ramirez, Jimmy Rollins, Derek Jeter and Ben Zobrist, I can't think of a shortstop I'd rather have in my starting lineup than him. Maybe Michael Young, Troy Tulowitzki or Alexei Ramirez, but it's close.

It's time to wake up and smell the White Sox, people. Beckham is here to stay.

PS- Nice article, Cowley. Youre a clown and a sorry excuse for a beat writer.

Edited by watchtower41

I am going to keep calling him Slayer because you can't pick your own nickname. And once you come up against one given you, that automatically becomes the one you are known by. I mean really its all in the guy code. Since Slayer is a man's man, he knew this and played his cards just right to keep his favorite nickname.

Since June 28th, the Sunday Cubs game, where he fairly clearly turned it he has hit .364, OBP somewhere just south of .400 and slugging is .523. He has 9 doubles, 1 triple, 7 SB, and 0 CS. This is all over a span of 26 games. He's had 7 errors all year and his F% has been in line with his peers, although he has had a few infrequent mental lapses, many less than the left side of the IF.

I think it can be argued that if you haven't noticed how productive Getz has been as of late you haven't been watching. He seems much more disciplined at the plate and comfortable overall. Even if he reverts back for awhile its still likely he hits .270 or so on the year, should steal 20-25 bags which could probably be more if they ran him more frequently, and will anchor the bottom part of the lineup that has been a huge part of the Sox resurgence. If he finishes the season with a line similar to what he shows now that will be a huge success and bode extremely well for his future.

Our best case scenario next year is Getz forcing Kenny/Ozzie's hand and making them move Alexei to center if Viciedo is ready or a cheap FA is available, moving Beckham where he belongs. That leaves us with 1 hole at OF/DH. Or course this depends on the quality or CF or 3B available given who's ready internally, but its always been easier to plug a hole at 3rd rather than center.

All that being said, Beckahm seems to be your 2009 AL ROY. Romero is faltering a bit. He doesn't appear to be the K pitcher we may have seen earlier in the year, and the rest of the peripherals are also coming in a bit. With Toronto out of it they're not going to be pushing him come 4 weeks from now. Porcello is in the same situation as well.

The reason people "love" Getz so much is that he has a chance to be a..... grinder.

Not the washed-up Darrin Erstad 2007 kind. The real kind: low salary, high SB total, low CS total, high OBP, low K, etc.

Now, obviously Getz is still work in progress: his swing is just a little too big for his talent profile; as well he has struggled after his finger fracture which doesn't make his overall season stats that appealing.

But I think the guy is a keeper as an ideal #9 hitter, and who knows, maybe even a good #2 some day.

Finally, ridiculously overrated fake-stats like UZR aside, Getz defense hasn't been that bad. Weaker arm than you'd like; some rookie brain cramps, sure, but it's not in the rangeless D-Angelo Jimenez or Jeff Kent territory.

Edited by Fedor

...check out Jeff Francouer's rookie stats and remember how people were so ga-ga over him too...

.300/.336/.549/.885

70 GP, 272 AB, 14 HR, 20 2B, 1 3B, 45 RBI, 11BB

it would seem like the lack of walks and reliance on homers made this predictable, but Francoeur was hitting .300 over 70 games with a ton of doubles...doesn't that sound familiar?

His career line is currently a disappointing .266/.308/.424/.732 and the power numbers have been relatively down since 06 - just 82 career homers.

So what happened to Jeff Francouer? Couldn't the same thing happen to Beckham?

a) roids

B) injuries

c) lack of high baseball IQ & OBP skillz.

Beckham most certainly is NOT worth more as a SS than he is a 3B.

Why? Because there is nothing in his college or minor league career that indicates that he can be anything but a mediocre defensive SS. Although defensive prowess remains exceedingly difficult to quantify, it's fairly reasonably to conclude that Beck will cost you bases/outs/runs with the glove as a middle INF, in the long haul

3B, however, I can definately see him play on above-average basis --- as he is more athletic than most 3B. In fact, it can be argued that since the AllStar break, he's made a big improvement at the position (until yesterday, lol).

Beckham is the 3B of the future. Alexei is the SS of the future (hopefully the whole aloof/lazy thing on routine throws is just temporary). It really is that simple. Even Ozzie agrees.

Edited by Fedor

QUOTE (Fedor @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Beckham most certainly is NOT worth more as a SS than he is a 3B.

Why? Because there is nothing in his college or minor league career that indicates that he can be anything but a mediocre defensive SS. Although defensive prowess remains exceedingly difficult to quantify, it's fairly reasonably to conclude that Beck will cost you bases/outs/runs with the glove as a middle INF, in the long haul

3B, however, I can definately see him play on above-average basis --- as he is more athletic than most 3B. In fact, it can be argued that since the AllStar break, he's made a big improvement at the position (until yesterday, lol).

Beckham is the 3B of the future. Alexei is the SS of the future (hopefully the whole aloof/lazy thing on routine throws is just temporary). It really is that simple. Even Ozzie agrees.

Defense aside Beckham's bat is more valuable at SS. There is no arguing against this point its a fact.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Defense aside Beckham's bat is more valuable at SS. There is no arguing against this point its a fact.

Well we're not trading him anytime soon and this isn't fantasy baseball, so right now he's more valuable at 3rd for the White Sox and that's all that matters.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
I am going to keep calling him Slayer because you can't pick your own nickname. And once you come up against one given you, that automatically becomes the one you are known by. I mean really its all in the guy code. Since Slayer is a man's man, he knew this and played his cards just right to keep his favorite nickname.

Call me T-Bone going forward.

Yes, and "defense aside" Frank Thomas was much more valuable as a CF. .

Sorry, it simply doesn't work that way (outside the confines of fantasy dorkball, err, I mean baseball).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Well we're not trading him anytime soon and this isn't fantasy baseball, so right now he's more valuable at 3rd for the White Sox and that's all that matters.

I met for the future obviosly right now he is more valuable at 3rd for the sox. But in the future he's better in the MIF

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)

That is the best arguement yet that I've seen that makes calling him Slayer justifiable.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)

I don't buy into this line of thought. A base hit prevented is just as meaningful as a base hit achieved.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
I met for the future obviosly right now he is more valuable at 3rd for the sox. But in the future he's better in the MIF

The may very well prove to be the case. We'll have to see.

I just wanted my 1000th post to be in praise of Gordon Beckham.

Oh, Gordon Beckham, I offer this 1000th post in praise to you. Your doubles that hopefully will turn into homers. Your wild throws trying to make great plays that in time you will learn to stick in your back pocket. Your tendency to come through in the clutch. The fact that you chose a number that will be cool enough looking on the outfield wall when the Sox retire it.

Gordon bless Soxtalk. And Gordon Bless the United States of America.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
I just wanted my 1000th post to be in praise of Gordon Beckham.

Oh, Gordon Beckham, I offer this 1000th post in praise to you. Your doubles that hopefully will turn into homers. Your wild throws trying to make great plays that in time you will learn to stick in your back pocket. Your tendency to come through in the clutch. The fact that you chose a number that will be cool enough looking on the outfield wall when the Sox retire it.

Gordon bless Soxtalk. And Gordon Bless the United States of America.

Congrats!

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
It's a point that gets overlooked a lot around here.

I agree, off topic but it's one of the reasons why someone like Rios would be a huge addition to this team. He's an elite defender with and elite arm. Over the past 3 years he has the highest UZR/150 of any OF with at least 3000 innings played. On the flip side Jermaine Dye has the 3rd lowest number over that same period. His presence alone in CF would completely change the makeup on this defense.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
I agree, off topic but it's one of the reasons why someone like Rios would be a huge addition to this team. He's an elite defender with and elite arm. Over the past 3 years he has the highest UZR/150 of any OF with at least 3000 innings played. On the flip side Jermaine Dye has the 3rd lowest number over that same period. His presence alone in CF would completely change the makeup on this defense.

Since you probably have the window still open, where does Markakis rank?