Films Thread

juddling

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
'The Goods; Live Hard, Sell Hard' was pretty funny. I'm not a huge Piven fan, it must have gotten me in the right mood cuz I lol a few times.

I actually heard it wasn't that good, and this was from people I fully expected to love it.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
Future cult classic — at least among aquatic scientists. :lolhitting

It will definitely have a cult following. I've only seen it once, and I didn't even make it all the way through because I thought it sucked that much. I've heard from a few people that it gets better each time, so I may have to go back and give it another shot. It's definitely got some hardcore fans.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 03:24 AM)
I don't believe I've ever felt a more excruciating movie experience like I did watching Miracle at St. Anna. I've watched three fourths of the movie and don't think I have it in me to finish the rest. It has to be the slowest moving war themed drama ever created. And every character on screen is annoying and worthy of dying, especially Tree.

Didn't catch The Thin Red Line then?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
It will definitely have a cult following. I've only seen it once, and I didn't even make it all the way through because I thought it sucked that much. I've heard from a few people that it gets better each time, so I may have to go back and give it another shot. It's definitely got some hardcore fans.

I agree with those who say it gets better with repeated viewings.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
'The Goods; Live Hard, Sell Hard' was pretty funny. I'm not a huge Piven fan, it must have gotten me in the right mood cuz I lol a few times.

I saw the first half before we lost power.

Dark Knight helmer Christopher Nolan's new Sci-Fi flick Inception trailer starring Leo Dicaprio.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810099246/video/15201197

Trailer gives away virtually nothing but it's still pretty tight. Looks kind of like a cross between Memento and Dark City.

Nolan's gotta be one of the best living directors, should be good stuff.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Dark Knight helmer Christopher Nolan's new Sci-Fi flick Inception trailer starring Leo Dicaprio.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810099246/video/15201197

Trailer gives away virtually nothing but it's still pretty tight. Looks kind of like a cross between Memento and Dark City.

Yeah, I saw that one tonight before Inglourious Basterds, which itself was awesome.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)

Inception looks promising and I've enjoyed nearly everything of his I've seen (Prestige was disappointing, and Batman Begins was entertaining but not great) but "one of the best living directors" is a bit of a stretch imo.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Inception looks promising and I've enjoyed nearly everything of his I've seen (Prestige was disappointing, and Batman Begins was entertaining but not great) but "one of the best living directors" is a bit of a stretch imo.

Who is your top 5 among the living?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
Who is your top 5 among the living?

I'd have to include Scorsese, Coppola, and Spielberg as the top three. Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Barry Levinson, David Lynch, Tarantino, Ridley Scott, Brad Bird, Roman Polansk, Paul Thomas Anderson,i and a large hatful of others would be placed well ahead of Chris Nolan as the "greatest living director" for me at least.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
I'd have to include Scorsese, Coppola, and Spielberg as the top three. Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Barry Levinson, David Lynch, Tarantino, Ridley Scott, Brad Bird, Roman Polansk, Paul Thomas Anderson,i and a large hatful of others would be placed well ahead of Chris Nolan as the "greatest living director" for me at least.

I agree with all of that. I would put Nolan in the best up and comer category. He is still relatively new to the scene, lets see what kind of staying power he has.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
I agree with all of that. I would put Nolan in the best up and comer category. He is still relatively new to the scene, lets see what kind of staying power he has.

Yeah, I'll give him the "up and comer" designation. I think he's quite good, but it's hyperbolic at this stage in his career to crown him best living director I think.

I just got back from Inglourious Basterds. Roger Ebert probably summed it up best. I came away not really knowing why I liked it, but I think I did (and it'll probably get better the more I see it).

Some things about it, though:

-The "basterds" weren't in it that much

-Christoph Waltz definitely stole the show

-There was much less action and violence than I expected, which was disappointing

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
I just got back from Inglourious Basterds. Roger Ebert probably summed it up best. I came away not really knowing why I liked it, but I think I did (and it'll probably get better the more I see it).

-There was much less action and violence than I expected, which was disappointing

I've done zero homework on this film.

What's the plot of the movie? Fiction/comedy?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)

I liked it too and it's one of those movies for me where the more I think about it, the more I want to see it again.

I agree that Waltz was excellent but Melanie Laurent was right there with him. Both deserve some serious awards consideration this year.

I guess there was less action/violence than normal for a Tarantino movie but there was still plenty to keep me entertained and into it. In fact, the highlights for me were the quiet/tense moments such as the opening scene and the scene in the restaurant with Shosanna and Landa.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)

I saw it last night as well and loved it

QUOTE (The Bones @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)
I liked it too and it's one of those movies for me where the more I think about it, the more I want to see it again.

I agree that Waltz was excellent but Melanie Laurent was right there with him. Both deserve some serious awards consideration this year.

I guess there was less action/violence than normal for a Tarantino movie but there was still plenty to keep me entertained and into it. In fact, the highlights for me were the quiet/tense moments such as the opening scene and the scene in the restaurant with Shosanna and Landa.

Oh, I definitely enjoyed the tense moments...I just expected (and wanted) more violence/action. They kind of presented it as a movie dedicated to the Basterds just mangling the Nazis. Still thoroughly enjoyed it.

And for tense, how about the scene in the bar? The whole time I was just waiting for the former Nazi recruit to destroy the guy sitting with them.

Oh, and another thing that sort of threw me off was that they didn't really say what happened to the other Basterds. At the end, when Landa had the two captured with the other two in the theater, I counted that 4 of the original Basterds were unaccounted for (and I also included the guys killed at the bar).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
Oh, I definitely enjoyed the tense moments...I just expected (and wanted) more violence/action. They kind of presented it as a movie dedicated to the Basterds just mangling the Nazis. Still thoroughly enjoyed it.

And for tense, how about the scene in the bar? The whole time I was just waiting for the former Nazi recruit to destroy the guy sitting with them.

The Basterds were hardly in it and, ultimately, their plot was meaningless because Shoshana burnt the place down anyway.