Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really, the "Hollywood hasnt had an original idea in....." thing is worn out for me. A great amount of modern day classics are based on books and novellas and novels and comics. Who cares that a movie is based on a TV show, or its a reboot, or a remake, or a comic book franchise that was considered dead. If the subject matter interests you, watch it. If it doesnt, whats the point in saying "Hollywood hasnt had an original idea in....." every time something comes out?

And I am not saying this because I think A Team is going to be fantastic and I really want to see it. I post movie trailers when I see them because I think they are good starts of conversations. To me, a directors vision of a movie is the important element of the film, not the subject matter. Batman was reinvented by Burton, ruined by Schumaker, and reborn to a greater degree by Nolan. Did everyone throw stones at this franchise and say "Hollywood hasnt had an original idea in...."? Not that I can remember. And If they did, it was unwarranted and proven wrong.

Does anyone expect A team to be an Oscar winner? Do you expect it to be anything other than a popcorn action flick? So a popular 80's show gets a film treatment, why the big fuss?

Film director Louis Leterrier has cleared up two bits of talk about his upcoming "Clash of the Titans" remake with MTV News.

First up the rumors that Matt Bellamy from Muse would be doing some additional music for the film alongside Craig Armstrong’s score.

Letterier says "Craig [Armstrong], he was going to write the score and Matt Bellamy was going to come in and do… maybe 30 minutes of music. Craig Armstrong is still doing the score and I called my friend Neil Davidge from Massive Attack to replace Matt for the areas that Matt was doing. So it’ll be Craig Armstrong and Massive Attack, which is pretty exciting."

He also confirmed that though they tried it, the film will not be getting a last-minute conversion to 3D: "We tried [to do 3-D for Clash]. We tried hard. We just won’t have time. Maybe we possibly can re-release it in 3-D".

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)
really, the "Hollywood hasnt had an original idea in....." thing is worn out for me. . . .why the big fuss?

Ach, there looks to be plenty of crap coming out of the Hollywood for the forseeable future, and you are more than welcome to my share of it. :drink

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 12:25 AM)
Saw Daybreakers. It was ok. Not too much was special about it, and the ending worked out a little too neatly.

Saw it today. I liked it, even though a couple scenes were really "meh" for me.

Wonder if the ending left it open for a sequel. That's a s***load of vamps they got to cure back. Kinda f***ed up when the dudes (special forces) who turned back get shot by that vamp doctor also.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
Ach, there looks to be plenty of crap coming out of the Hollywood for the forseeable future, and you are more than welcome to my share of it. :drink

The original stuff isnt the fluff and filler that you complain about. The original stuff is usually the oscar-worthy stuff and the movies you see at Sundance and Cannes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 07:20 AM)
The original stuff isnt the fluff and filler that you complain about. The original stuff is usually the oscar-worthy stuff and the movies you see at Sundance and Cannes.

For me it's not even that. Even if 75% of what they churn out is crap, I'd rather see original crap than unoriginal, entirely derivative crap. I don't spend my life railing against it other than commenting here, but really, is there even a point to some of these "reboots" when sometimes their near shot-for-shot remakes of the original source film (see, John Moore's 2006 The Omen as one of the premier examples).

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
For me it's not even that. Even if 75% of what they churn out is crap, I'd rather see original crap than unoriginal, entirely derivative crap. I don't spend my life railing against it other than commenting here, but really, is there even a point to some of these "reboots" when sometimes their near shot-for-shot remakes of the original source film (see, John Moore's 2006 The Omen as one of the premier examples).

FlaSoxx, I dont want to sound like I am coming down on you specifically about it. Like I said, it just gets old for me. I would rather hear "that movie looks like its going to suck" as opposed to "how unoriginal" because of the fact that a large portion of hollywood is not based on original film scripts and is based on other peoples work, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Batman, Wizard of Oz etc.

I agree a lot of the remakes reboots reimagine-ings are crap, but there are some that are stuck in there that actually work(Star Trek) and I enjoy. But I remember when Star Trek came out, the same "how unoriginal" "aw another reboot?" complaints came out and it just wears thin.

You know that I appreciate a lot of the same things in film/books/comics that you do, this is just conversation to me, no hard feelings

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
You know that I appreciate a lot of the same things in film/books/comics that you do, this is just conversation to me, no hard feelings

Absolutely none taken. And of course I love some godawful films. I'd just rather see more godawful but new stuff coming out as opposed to the godawful rehash.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)
Reboot meet spiderman... raimi and maguire are of course out. Couldn't have happened to a more clusterf***ed franchise.

After Spiderman ThreEmo, I dont mind someone else being Spiderman and someone else directing.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
How about the next Leterrier or Favreau? I want a fanboy directing the next spidey, not a big name director. And if it was a big name director, I would want Bryan Singer.

Because Superman Returns was so good?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
Because Superman Returns was so good?

Im talking Xmen and X2.

And you know what? I liked Superman Returns. It wasnt what everyone wanted, but it was a nice pay of respect to the Christopher Reeves movies. It wasnt a terrible movie, it just wasnt anything new and it should have been something other than Superman vs Lex Luthor again.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 11, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Im talking Xmen and X2.

And you know what? I liked Superman Returns. It wasnt what everyone wanted, but it was a nice pay of respect to the Christopher Reeves movies. It wasnt a terrible movie, it just wasnt anything new and it should have been something other than Superman vs Lex Luthor again.

Exactly, and when the hell is Mister Mxyzptlk going to get the serious Hollywood treatment a villain of his stature demands?!?

mxyzptlk.jpg