Films Thread

juddling

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
The movie isn't that great. The last 40 minutes save it. Up until then, it seems the audience is left in the dark about what Holmes is doing.

That's exactly how the books are.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
Love it.

I absolutely love "In Bruges" as well. I think I watch most of my movies because of what I read on here. I tend to agree with what's said.

Anyways, "500 days of summer" was very enjoyable and i really liked it. I recommend it to anyone.

Quarantine was one of the worst movies I've ever seen...

I would rather watch the bleakly depressing but very strong "Lilya 4-Ever" 10 times than sit through Quarantine again.

Sherlock Holmes was "okay," nothing I will remember next week or want to watch again anytime soon. Rachel McAdams was kind of superfluous in her role as well, although she always makes things more interesting when she's on-screen.

Although I am sure they will make a sequel, I would prefer a "pre-quel" more along the lines of Batman or Ironman to establish the Sherlock Holmes character for a new moviegoing audience not familiar with the stories.

Edited by caulfield12

Forgot about this thread, recently I've see:

The Usual Suspects, old movie but one I haven't seen. I really enjoyed it, especially Del Toro's character.

The Taking of Pelham 123, very surprsingly I liked it. Travolta was kinda corny at times, but the movie really surprised me. I like it a ton. Denzel was great, as usual.

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, pretty terrible CG and the movie started off kinda WTF, but it was entertaining. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone and I won't buy it, but it was worth a watch.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)
The Kite Runner was good but not up to the hype it got. Seemed like another one of those "the book was better" movies.

I think the king of all of those types of movies is The Running Man. I couldn't put that book down. There has never been another book that I was so into reading, but the movie was nothing like the book. I can't even emphasize enough how different they are to anyone who has seen the movie but not read the book.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 05:15 AM)
I think the king of all of those types of movies is The Running Man. I couldn't put that book down. There has never been another book that I was so into reading, but the movie was nothing like the book. I can't even emphasize enough how different they are to anyone who has seen the movie but not read the book.

I thought the movie the Kite Runner was pretty damn good. Didn't read the book, but it got me to tear up and I almost never cry.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of James Cameron's last two movies? I mean not that Avatar was terrible but I just don't understand how Titanic and Avatar have been so captivating that they have set box office records. Sure Avatar has impressive visuals, but the movie itself was incredibly predictable and cliched and without the visuals is an average movie at best.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Can someone explain to me the appeal of James Cameron's last two movies? I mean not that Avatar was terrible but I just don't understand how Titanic and Avatar have been so captivating that they have set box office records. Sure Avatar has impressive visuals, but the movie itself was incredibly predictable and cliched and without the visuals is an average movie at best.

Hype. There's your answer.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Both movies had impressive visuals that carried mediocre love stories. People just freaked out at the ship sinking scene in Titanic

Right, but to the tune of $600 million for Titanic and what looks like a possible $500+ million run for Avatar? I just don't get it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Right, but to the tune of $600 million for Titanic and what looks like a possible $500+ million run for Avatar? I just don't get it.

If you look at a lot of the movies that make bank, they dont make a lot of sense. Spiderman 3? Twilight? New Moon?

blech

I always thought Cameron was a great action director and writer. As for dialogue and drama, I think he is seveerly cliched and nothing special.

Look at Titanic. The ship sinking stuff was extraordinary, IMO. Great pacing and effects. The love story...boring and nothing ground breaking.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
If you look at a lot of the movies that make bank, they dont make a lot of sense. Spiderman 3? Twilight? New Moon?

blech

Revenge of the Fallen made $402M domestic, which puts it in the top 10 all time. I don't plan on ever seeing it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Revenge of the Fallen made $402M domestic, which puts it in the top 10 all time. I don't plan on ever seeing it.

Coming from a guy who was very excited for the Transformers movies, I totally agree with your decision.

Titanic is one of the most compelling stories in modern history. While the love story had a lot of women coming back for 2 and 3 screenings, the raw popularity of the story amongst the public drew masses of people to the theater that had not been in years.

As for Avatar, the hype is definitely inflating the numbers a bit, but despite the somewhat predictable plot, I think this is the first movie that really supported technologically the idea of being in a different world, amongst aliens, etc. I don't honestly know how you could come away from that movie and not be impressed. Cameron is the first filmmaker who has been able to produce the visual effects and experience that our imaginations have been thinking up for decades. There is definitely something to that.

I watched Land of the Lost today. Really, really stupid, but I just laugh everytime I see Will Ferrell do anything. And Danny McBride is pretty funny as well. Even though both of them seem to reprise the same roles over and over, I can't get enough of them when I need a little cheering up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
I watched Land of the Lost today. Really, really stupid, but I just laugh everytime I see Will Ferrell do anything. And Danny McBride is pretty funny as well. Even though both of them seem to reprise the same roles over and over, I can't get enough of them when I need a little cheering up.

When Danny McBride was showing off his hotel model I was laughing, that was really funny to me. He said something about retiring to one of the towers with his bride, and if they pissed him off then he would banish them to the other tower.